Screen ratio/aspect. HDMI cables messed up my screen

Discus and support Screen ratio/aspect. HDMI cables messed up my screen in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I had this same problem with the 360. When I use HDMI cables it makes the screen slightly squished together and when I used regular cables it was... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by John Doe21, Mar 2, 2016.

1. John Doe21
    John Doe21 Guest

I had this same problem with the 360. When I use HDMI cables it makes the screen slightly squished together and when I used regular cables it was perfect. Now on the X1 I can't use regular cables and my screens messed up. According to your diagram in Calibrate
    HDTV it's perfect with a perfect green border. I have also tried it on two different televisions with same results so I doubt it has to do with the TV. also with different HDMI cables. How can I fix this?

:)

John Doe21, Mar 2, 2016
  2. bloosuga
    bloosuga Guest
    Anyone else with messed up display after October update?

Have you tried changing the aspect ratio of your tv? Go into the settings on the X1, go to calibrate HDTV, go to the screen that says Aspect Ratio, then go to the settings for your tv, go to picture settings, find aspect ratio and change it until the green bars are visible all the way around the screen.

bloosuga, Mar 2, 2016
  3. plinny1984
    plinny1984 Guest
    HDMI ISSUES

im having similar problems, no sound and the display settings are messed up, my screen looks like im using an old scart cable rather than a hdmi cable on a full hdtv. when i go to display settings, screen format is greyed out and cant be selected ands its
    displaying an 1280x720 widescreen dvi. what the hell?

plinny1984, Mar 2, 2016
  4. ShiftyDrunk
    ShiftyDrunk Guest

I have heard of something like this a few times. Each time it had to due with resolution compatibility issue. For example the device or xbox was set to 480p but the TV was able to due 1080p. Though I am sure you have already made sure that the xbox is set
    to the correct resolution for your TV.

Could be pointless but here is a few things you could look into. Now you said that during the calibration the green bar is just right. On your xbox go to "Settings > Display & sound > Video output" Here try messing with the color space setting. See if that
    helps.

On your TV go into your setting and see if you have a setting under something like Picture or Screen adjustments then Picture size. Try a few different settings in that. I know I had an issue once with a TV where for most things I could use the normal or
    16:9 mode; but other things I needed to set it to the screen fit mode.

If none of that works you might need to contact xbox official support or you TV manufacture. As far as settings go on the xbox that relate to this issue there really isn't much.

Sorry I couldn't be more help but I hope this helps you out some.

ShiftyDrunk, Mar 2, 2016
  5. ShiftyDrunk Win User

I have heard of something like this a few times. Each time it had to due with resolution compatibility issue. For example the device or xbox was set to 480p but the TV was able to due 1080p. Though I am sure you have already made sure that the xbox is set
    to the correct resolution for your TV.

Could be pointless but here is a few things you could look into. Now you said that during the calibration the green bar is just right. On your xbox go to "Settings > Display & sound > Video output" Here try messing with the color space setting. See if that
    helps.

On your TV go into your setting and see if you have a setting under something like Picture or Screen adjustments then Picture size. Try a few different settings in that. I know I had an issue once with a TV where for most things I could use the normal or
    16:9 mode; but other things I needed to set it to the screen fit mode.

If none of that works you might need to contact xbox official support or you TV manufacture. As far as settings go on the xbox that relate to this issue there really isn't much.

Sorry I couldn't be more help but I hope this helps you out some.

6. Jurgen1488 Win User

Problem with display

On the TV remote control, find the SCREEN or Aspect or Aspect Ratio button. And set the correct screen resolution.

Mostly, this button is marked with a screen image and four arrows to the sides.
  7. ZuzilySpark Win User

SPDIF Optical Audio Cord not working.

The thing is that my tv isn't big enough for the default xbox aspect ratio so it cuts edges off... I wish I could use HDMI audio but not being able to see edges of the screen bothers me
  8. gds1972 Win User

Blue ray & 4K DVDs wont play full screen on my 4K TV.

Hi

Do the console homescreen and games fill all of the screen? If it does fill the screen and this problem is only affecting films then chances are this something called

aspect ratio
    and having black border at the top and bottom of the screen or either side is normal behavior.
  9. Internet Expert Win User

Hdmi aspect ratio pioneer pdp4214HD one setting xbox one

Likely a setting on your TV that adjusts screen size is the problem.

On your TV, bring up the settings menu with the TV remote, and find the setting that adjusts aspect ratio or screen size. You are probably set to “zoom”.
Thema:

1. Screen ratio/aspect. HDMI cables messed up my screen - Similar Threads - Screen ratio aspect

2. Closed bluray player app then screen went black, what do i do?

in XboX Insiders
    Closed bluray player app then screen went black, what do i do?: I was watching neon genesis evangelion on bluray and i wanted to play gta before my mom got back home and when i closed the app it weny black. I tried pushing the xbox button on the controller ive...
  3. Blue screen error whenever I try to open Elden Ring

in XBoX on Windows
    Blue screen error whenever I try to open Elden Ring: I specifically started running into this issue after the dlc for Elden Ring went live on steam. I got the game to run smoothly once yesterday, but today I'm no longer having any success getting...
  4. On screen keyboard

in XBoX Accessibility
    On screen keyboard: How do I turn off on screen keyboard on xbox series? It is really anoying. 0ed2f2df-01e7-4e76-944f-b59722587450
  5. I just updated my Xbox, and now I can't get past the login screen

in XBoX on Consoles
    I just updated my Xbox, and now I can't get past the login screen: It updated. It feels like something is using all the cpu because the controller is very laggy. It gets stuck at login screen and eventually just turns black. I've restarted and pulled the power...
  6. Elder Scrolls online Stuck on character select screen infinite load time but works for a...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Elder Scrolls online Stuck on character select screen infinite load time but works for a...: Hello my name is Antonio I have been playing Eso for years and for the past week It has not been letting me load up my main just gets stuck on character select screen i’ve tried reinstalling the...
  7. Why can’t I play split screen and online with friends at same time in human fall flat?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can’t I play split screen and online with friends at same time in human fall flat?: Is there any way to play split screen on human fall flat and online at the same time? 98967722-9b3e-4cdd-8530-75181ef4125f
  8. Screen ratio problems on Prime video app

in XBoX on Windows
    Screen ratio problems on Prime video app: The Prime video app on my Xbox One has had issues with the ratio for the video player since an update on Saturday. The screen has been pushed down by the top black bar as seen in the attached...
  9. Philips 42PFL5405H: Screen ratio

in XBoX TV Hardware
    Philips 42PFL5405H: Screen ratio: Philips (Televisions) 42PFL5405H: Screen ratio Is it in games only or dashboard as well? a5f02252-0a00-40cd-83f7-316ef105d2d1
  10. Maximum Supported Screen Resolution For Locally Stored Video (16:9 Aspect Screen Ratio)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Maximum Supported Screen Resolution For Locally Stored Video (16:9 Aspect Screen Ratio): While not really HARDWARE related, this (Likely N00b) question is related to VIDEO itself (Given the forum layout, this appeared to be the most appropriate place I could find) But what I'm...