Screen goes dim while watching tv

Discus and support Screen goes dim while watching tv in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; After watching live tv for about 15 minutes, the screen goes dim and I have to either turn on my xbox one controller and hit a button or make a voice... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Pallydots, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Pallydots
    Pallydots Guest

After watching live tv for about 15 minutes, the screen goes dim and I have to either turn on my xbox one controller and hit a button or make a voice command to wake my xbox up. Is there a setting somewhere where I can change that dimming effect? This never
    happened with the old tv app, just with one guide

:)

Pallydots, Nov 1, 2015
  2. Sverre054
    Sverre054 Guest
    Screen dims while watching tv

I have a day one edition xbox with kinect, and lately the screen will randomly dim. It dims the same, as when you give a voice command, but no kinect listening prompt comes on the screen. It darkens to where you almost can't see the picture anymore. To
    un dim, I actually will say "hey cortana" and then it will un dim and bring up the listening prompt. Anyone else having this issue? I have hard restarted and re calibrated the kinect, but it seems like a software issue.

Sverre054, Nov 1, 2015
  3. Screen dims while watching tv

Hey there Sverre054,

What game or app are you using when you see this happen? Do you have a controller connected to the console and if so is it turned on?

Let us know!

Xbox Forums Staff

Be sure to check out the Xbox Forum Guidelines for the Do's and Don'ts as well as the Xbox
    Insider Program Forums
    for help with Xbox Insider Program troubleshooting. Achievement issues? Check our sticky

HERE
    for the best info.

Mister Mascot, Nov 1, 2015
  4. Screen goes dim while watching tv

Having the same issue, only started after the new update. Happens on Netflix too.

GorseBushGrimm, Nov 15, 2015
  5. FRIZZMONK23
    FRIZZMONK23 Guest
    Same here, really annoying when your trying to binge watch shows on Netflix. Xbox needs to fix this issue or let people know how to fix it.

FRIZZMONK23, Nov 15, 2015
  6. jayfish
    jayfish Guest
    Same here. That and the abysmal performance while video is snapped make the One nearly useless for anything but gaming.

jayfish, Nov 16, 2015
  7. rc10solidus
    rc10solidus Guest
    Experiencing this as well

Sad that the update has made things worse

Typical Microsoft...

rc10solidus, Nov 17, 2015
  8. Whazzle
    Whazzle Guest

Same issue for me. Been happening ever since I got the new UI update. Extremely annoying.

Whazzle, Nov 18, 2015
  9. TopcowRaven
    TopcowRaven Guest
    This is happening to me too,. we tried watching a movie on Movies & TV app (that app has a frame hitching/jerky motion when panning issue too

TopcowRaven, Nov 20, 2015
  10. Same thing when watching twitch, very annoying and frustrating. I use xboxone mainly for streaming, now there's no point in using it unless you're playing a game (what a world huh).

PerfectBlueDay, Nov 22, 2015
  11. jayfish
    jayfish Guest
    So, I may have found a workaround. This workaround may not apply to all causes of this issue. For me, I think what is going on is that the XBOX one uses the cameras on the Kinect to detect activity in the room. If it doesn't detect activity is dims the screen.
    My Kinect is defective so occasionally locks up or errors out. The XBOX one sees the Kinect but the Kinect doesn't see anything so doesn't detect any activity in the room no matter what. I got tired of dealing with it so I just unplugged the Kinect. Since
    the Kinect has been unplugged, no screen dimming. Good luck if you choose to try this and remember; this is a workaround and not a fix. YMMV.

jayfish, Nov 23, 2015
  12. norbdad
    norbdad Guest
    I attempted the above, it still dims on me even with the Kinect disconnected.

norbdad, Nov 28, 2015
  13. Jassyvel0802
    Jassyvel0802 Guest

Please try these steps. I hope it will help you guys

Settings -> All settings ->> Power and startup ->> Power mode and startup ->> change it to 6 hours of inactivity After changing that, you may do these steps

Press and hold down the power button on the console for about 10 seconds till the console turns off. Wait for about 30 seconds, then turn on the console and test if it works.

\

From Xsup

Jassyvel0802, Nov 28, 2015
  14. Jassyvel0802
    Jassyvel0802 Guest
    Message me if it works. thanks

Jassyvel0802, Nov 28, 2015
  15. F117T38
    F117T38 Guest
    Tried the fix and still have same issue.

F117T38, Dec 5, 2015
Thema: