Screen Flickering to Desktop while playing Xbox App Games

Discus and support Screen Flickering to Desktop while playing Xbox App Games in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; There's a weird graphical issue I'm having when playing games through the Xbox app on Windows 11. When clicking or pressing any buttons in the game,... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Brandon Espiritu, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Screen Flickering to Desktop while playing Xbox App Games

There's a weird graphical issue I'm having when playing games through the Xbox app on Windows 11. When clicking or pressing any buttons in the game, the screen briefly flickers and shows the desktop for a split second before going back into the game.

This flickering is very brief, but happens consistently with mouse clicks or controller input during gameplay. The flicker only displays the desktop screen beneath the game. It does NOT happen when simply moving the mouse around, only during clicks.

I have tried extensive troubleshooting without success:

Updated Windows 11 and all drivers to latest versions

Tried older graphics driver versions - no improvement

Enabled/disabled Vsync, reduced FPS cap - issue persists

Disabled Xbox Game Bar and Xbox Game Mode

Reset and reinstalled the Xbox app and game

The issue only happens with games launched through the Xbox app. Games played through other launchers like Steam do not have this flickering problem.

Things I've ruled out:

Not a hardware or refresh rate issue - flickering only occurs with Xbox app games during clicks/input

Not a game-specific issue - persists across multiple games from the Xbox app

Not an app conflict - disabled background apps, overlays, recording software etc.

This looks to be some kind of conflict between the Xbox app and Windows probably. Please let me know if there's any solutions to this.

Thank you!

:)

Brandon Espiritu, Jan 6, 2024
  2. Tomm_A Win User

Hello Brandon,

We haven't heard from you, so we assume that your issue has already been addressed. We will not be monitoring this thread moving forward so, if you need further assistance, please create a new thread to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Create a new question (microsoft.com)

Thank you for your understanding.

Respectfully,

3. Tomm_A Win User

Hello Brandon,

Greetings!

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Thank you for reaching out to Microsoft customer support. I understand that you are experiencing screen flickering while playing games through the Xbox app on Windows 11. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. We will help find the possible solution to help address your concern.

We would like to ask few questions to help us isolate the issue further.

1. When did the issue start?

2. Has there been any changes with the device before this issue happen?

Based on the information you have provided, it seems that you have already tried several troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue. However, I would suggest trying the following steps:

1. Try to enable again Xbox Game Bar and Xbox Game mode.

2. Disable any third-party antivirus software temporarily and check if the issue persists.

3. Try running the Xbox app in compatibility mode for Windows 10.

4. Try running the game in windowed mode instead of full screen.

• click on the Windows icon to open start menu > %LocalAppdata% on the search bar and open it
    • go to the %LOCALAPPDATA% folder > Search for the ‘Prospect’ folder
    • open the folder and to the Saved > Config > WindowsNoEditor directory.
    • Under the WindowsNoEditor folder, you’ll find a file called ‘GameUserSettings’
    • Open the user settings file using any text editor > Set ‘FullscreenMode=1’ to ‘FullscreenMode=0’ to save changes.
    • then try to launch the game again.

We look forward to your response. Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

4. Juan RODRIGUEZ B. Win User

HDR image flickering on Xbox One X with LG C9 TV

what is your Problem?

Flickering Screen on Xbox

Flickering Screen on Xbox with HDR

Screen goes Black on HDR with Xbox ?

You talk about going black but have flickering on Topic.

There was an official Problem with HDR Flickering on that TVs and Xbox but that should be fixed a time ago
    The screen flickers when HDR or HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour is on in the TV, after a while of flickering it goes black, then the TV loses the signal from the Xbox. That's
    my problem.

If I deactivate HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour, then there's no more flickering and no more black screen.

Well it isn't fixed yet, I'm 100% sure I am on the latest firmware on both the LG C9 and the Xbox One X.
  5. CyTeK1978 Win User

HDR image flickering on Xbox One X with LG C9 TV

what is your Problem?

Flickering Screen on Xbox

Flickering Screen on Xbox with HDR

Screen goes Black on HDR with Xbox ?

You talk about going black but have flickering on Topic.

There was an official Problem with HDR Flickering on that TVs and Xbox but that should be fixed a time ago
  6. RAIDEN496 Win User

LG HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color issue (Screen flickering)

not sure if the flickering is the same. But i have a sony 4k with HDR and when ever i am playing games i will get flickering., The screen does no flicker as in a HDMI problem as in turning on and off. It's more like the color flickering from dark to light
    really fast. But If I turn off 4k on the Xbox it will correct the problem.
Thema:

1. Screen Flickering to Desktop while playing Xbox App Games - Similar Threads - Screen Flickering Desktop

2. Why is my TV screen flickering when my Xbox Series S is connected to it?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why is my TV screen flickering when my Xbox Series S is connected to it?: So I have a Skyworth TV (supposedly 4K but only supports up to 1080p) and I have my Xbox Series S connected to it. Recently the screen has started to flicker when the Xbox is connected to it, now...
  3. Xbox one X DVD screen flicker

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox one X DVD screen flicker: Hi there, I have this issue with each DVD I put into my Xbox one X. The screen flickers/flashes and then shows a static screen like a TV with no signal or whatever. The menu screen and music...
  4. Series X goes black screen and flickers and loses audio on games and when pressing home button

in XBoX on Windows
    Series X goes black screen and flickers and loses audio on games and when pressing home button: For some reason when I have VRR turned on, my games will flicker and go black when I press home button and if I put option to gaming only, everytime I open or quit an app it will go black ive...
  5. why is my screen flickering

in XBoX Games and Apps
    why is my screen flickering: why does my screen flicker while using xbox x and s 8a4bf758-e68a-425d-a811-7fcf33a39c8c
  6. My screen keeps on doing this weird flicker thing on my series x does anyone know how to...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My screen keeps on doing this weird flicker thing on my series x does anyone know how to...: https://youtu.be/2hcS4X_ITYk i have already factory reset the console with keeping my apps, but the flickering returned. aa7ea374-0be7-4008-a28a-3e7c76d62270
  7. Xbox Series X Screen Flickering, controller disconnects, Xbox shuts down or freezes. Xbox...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X Screen Flickering, controller disconnects, Xbox shuts down or freezes. Xbox...: The only way I get it to stop for a short period of time is by when I encounter the issue, I immediately unplug my Xbox, plug it back in, go to settings, and then reset my alternate Mac address....
  8. Why is my Xbox one X screen flickering

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why is my Xbox one X screen flickering: When using my Xbox One X, the screen glitches when playing Star Wars Survivor. I cannot play the game without it affecting the screen/Xbox.. any suggestions? 3d5c3e01-5aae-49cb-b4ea-2a60b6e81db9
  9. My Asus G752VS screen Flicker sometimes or has static effect lines

in XBoX on Windows
    My Asus G752VS screen Flicker sometimes or has static effect lines: I have my laptop since 2016 and this problem occurred around two years ago. It wasn't sever at the time, but now it happen more often. So when i open the laptop the screen is fine, but for some...
  10. Xbox series x green flickering screen issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series x green flickering screen issue: Hi My Xbox one series x screen keeps flickering green and my controller disconnects and reconnects same with my headset. It normally then goes back to the green Home Screen or I have to...