RUMOUR..... microsoft will not charge you to watch netflix

Discus and support RUMOUR..... microsoft will not charge you to watch netflix in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; ^^ How so? I don't know too many people that paid for LIVE just to use Netflix. I'm sure there are some, but I'd like to see how many. Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by brandiesel1, May 12, 2014.

1. brandiesel1
    brandiesel1 Guest

^^ How so? I don't know too many people that paid for LIVE just to use Netflix. I'm sure there are some, but I'd like to see how many.

brandiesel1, May 13, 2014
  2. DEACON
    DEACON Guest
    i think it's addition by subtraction. Gold will still be attractive with the new things they're adding to it.

DEACON, May 13, 2014
  3. IceStorm III
    IceStorm III Guest
    [quote user="brandiesel1"]^^ How so? I don't know too many people that paid for LIVE just to use Netflix.[/quote]Then you weren't paying attention when it was disclosed that Gold subscribers were spending more time using entertainment apps than playing games
    back in
    March 2012

Microsoft's strategy for Xbox as of late has been based on what people actually do, not what people think they do. Unfortunately, people don't like to be told that their behavior does not reflect their own inner monologues. Spencer is tilting things back
    a bit to what people think they do, not what they actually do.

IceStorm III, May 13, 2014
  4. brandiesel1
    brandiesel1 Guest

^^ Well, you were right, because I wasn't paying attention.....at all. I only use mine for gaming. 0% of my time is spent on anything else. My kids use Netflix on the Wii and PS3.

brandiesel1, May 13, 2014
  5. EnenDaveyBoy
    EnenDaveyBoy Guest
    [quote user="brandiesel1"]

Think what through?

If you pay 7 euro a month for Netflix would it annoy you if you had to pay 60 euro to your tv company to unlock the additional pay wall on your smart tv? If you paid for Netflix would it annoy you if you had to pay an additional fee to use it on your phone?
    If you paid for Netflix would it annoy you if you had to pay an addition 60 euro to use it on your tablet, your Wii, your PS3,your PS4, your desktop, your laptot, your Roku?

Sure you could just watch it on any of those at no additional fee instead, but why shouldn't you be able to on the Xbox 360/ONE at no additional cost? You pay a few hundred for the system so why make it different and less consumer friendly.

It's a good move and one that never should've had to been made.

[/quote]Your looking at it the wrong way round, you need an xbox account to access xbox services, for that you have to pay, part of that payment offers online security which isn't cheap and has to be paid for, so to access all the online stuff I pay for
    xbox live gold membership. then if I want an additional service its up to me if I pay for it.

The second one is available because the first exists.

I pay for internet access, should they drop the charge for that because I'm already paying for netflix? If you have a phone mobile contract should that be free becuase I have a netflix account, or even becuase I already pay for a phone and the internet through
    my isp?

If you want to use additional services, they don't need xbox so don't need to pay for it.

If I went to sky and said i want to watch a Pay per view event, they don't let you do it without a subscription.

It annoys me I have to pay for everything, when I have access to it elsewhere in other ways, but no one should give me it for free, at the expense of something important.

I would prefer to use a secure service and that is why I pay for xbox gold membership, I know many people think the internet fairies keep everything safe, I wish it were true.

For me all the xbox online stuff was more secure, now I am not as sure.

You didn't have to pay for PS3 subscription it was very customer friendly until they got hacked.

EnenDaveyBoy, May 13, 2014
  6. IceStorm III
    IceStorm III Guest
    MS is moving Games with Gold to a subscription model for Xbox One. There will be plenty of incentive to retain Gold with that move. It should minimize a drop in Gold subscriber figures.

IceStorm III, May 13, 2014
  7. I am nearly always gold this does not affect me but, they should have had netflix to be used by silvers from the start. They are paying for neflix already and the app is free.

PUDDIN DAGGER, May 13, 2014
  8. BrianGunter
    BrianGunter Guest

[quote user="Davey Boy"]Your looking at it the wrong way round, you need an xbox account to access xbox services, for that you have to pay, part of that payment offers online security which isn't cheap and has to be paid for, so to access all the online
    stuff I pay for xbox live gold membership. then if I want an additional service its up to me if I pay for it.[/quote]

You don't seem to understand how things work. Watching Netflix through an Xbox is no more secure or any different than watching it on a Roku. You're connecting through Netflix servers and MS has nothing to do with the security or anything else there. It's
    about time they're finally dropping the gold requirement since it's pretty ridiculous.

BrianGunter, May 13, 2014
  9. EnenDaveyBoy
    EnenDaveyBoy Guest
    @Lest again your looking at it from the wrong way round, you have an xbox, to contect to the internet services you needed a gold membership membership, that in itself is added security (if nothing else a perception), take it away and you have just removed
    part of the security.

xbox is now no more secure than any other service, before you had to have gold membership.

I am not talking about netflix I am talking about the layer before netflix or any other third party service. ie, if I am going to send something to an xbox account over the internet I have to get through gold membership, now I don't have to get through anything.

EnenDaveyBoy, May 14, 2014
  10. BrianGunter
    BrianGunter Guest
    Again, you don't understand how things work. I'm really not sure where you go that idea from, but the gold paywall adds nothing in the way of security at all. You're already connected to the internet and to the LIVE servers with a silver account, so I'm
    not sure why you think a gold account makes any difference. It doesn't, and the connection is the same whether it's a gold or silver account. There is no "layer" added by gold between your 360 and Netflix. Netflix (and all other apps) still connect straight
    to the same servers through the same ports as they would if you were connecting with a Roku or any other device. If you think that MS is somehow protecting you just because you pay for gold then they've got you fooled pretty good.

BrianGunter, May 14, 2014
  11. I paid for my Gold subscription to play games, not to watch movies, so the pay-wall never really made a difference to me. Still, I can definitely see how this is an issue that needed to be resolved for those who only used their consoles to watch and access
    media and I'm glad that it has finally been resolved to make them happy. RUMOUR..... microsoft will not charge you to watch netflix :)

Galactic Geek, May 14, 2014
  12. COD 2 HALO
    COD 2 HALO Guest
    Not a rumor anymore. Just got the email from Microsoft confirming the use of apps and other things will be free of charge for use on both consoles without needed a gold sub.

COD 2 HALO, May 14, 2014
  13. brandiesel1
    brandiesel1 Guest

There's a message as soon as you turn the ONE on.

brandiesel1, May 14, 2014
  14. Yep, it's right there on the home screen under the "featured" section.

Galactic Geek, May 14, 2014
  15. EnenDaveyBoy
    EnenDaveyBoy Guest
    @Lestat, can you access none xbox services through the old silver live account?

EnenDaveyBoy, May 14, 2014
Thema:

1. RUMOUR..... microsoft will not charge you to watch netflix - Similar Threads - RUMOUR microsoft charge

2. Is the Xbox Series X Pro are the truth or the rumour?

in XBoX on Windows
    Is the Xbox Series X Pro are the truth or the rumour?: Is the Xbox Series X Pro are the truth or the rumour? Yours sincerely Jevgeni 61496b67-d43a-4caa-933c-acacd42f26ed
  3. Is the Xbox Series X Pro are the truth or the rumour?

in XboX Insiders
    Is the Xbox Series X Pro are the truth or the rumour?: Xbox Series X Pro are the truth to you or the rumour? What it is are going to be? Yours sincerely Jevgeni submitted by /u/AppointmentGrand8780 [link] [comments]
  4. Video Modes / RGB Settings causing input lag? (Rumour)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Video Modes / RGB Settings causing input lag? (Rumour): Hey! I was doing some testing with some friends & we were testing video settings on the Series X. I'm using a Zowie XL2411K @ 120hz. From what I've been told, changing the RGB mode to "PC RGB"...
  5. So I have heard a rumour about birthday presents!

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    So I have heard a rumour about birthday presents!: It's my birthday and I have heard about Xbox birthday presents. Can I get one? 205ffd0a-de53-4319-8f1c-f11ce4891d0f
  6. Rumour: Microsoft Has An Exclusive Licensed NFL Football Title in the Works

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Rumour: Microsoft Has An Exclusive Licensed NFL Football Title in the Works: Take this strictly as a rumour until any official confirmation comes through, but it appears that Microsoft may be working on an officially-licensed NFL football title that will be exclusive to...
  7. Rumour: Quantum Break Likely Delayed to 2016

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Rumour: Quantum Break Likely Delayed to 2016: We're hearing some talk that won't make many people happy, but it should be stressed that this is as yet unconfirmed. Dae_jim, the Dutch Community and Social Media Coordinator at Microsoft, is...
  8. Rumour: Microsoft to remove paywall for streaming service

in XBoX on Consoles
    Rumour: Microsoft to remove paywall for streaming service: @ Lout, If you're making a personal insult aimed at me man up and say what you mean. No one likes slimey spineless comments. If not then explain what you mean? 76ae5664-bc53-4e3d-8c97-520e237da808
  9. Rumour: Next entry in Deus Ex Universe to feature online multiplayer?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Rumour: Next entry in Deus Ex Universe to feature online multiplayer?: Eidos Montreal posts job listing for "Online Programmer" for Deus Ex Universe project The slow burning mystery of the future of the Deus Ex series seems to be sprouting another chapter this...
  10. Microsoft on the $399 Xbox One rumour - "don't believe everything you read"

in XBoX on Consoles
    Microsoft on the $399 Xbox One rumour - "don't believe everything you read": It's "kind of a bummer", says Phil Spencer It's a slow news day today, so a big hand please for Aaron Greenberg, chief of staff for Microsoft's devices and studios group. He's just poured cold...