Request for a refund for an unauthorised transaction on Microsoft Store

Discus and support Request for a refund for an unauthorised transaction on Microsoft Store in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hello Microsoft, I had an unauthorised transaction on my Xbox console when purchasing a game with a gift card with my Microsoft account balance, but... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by TheArchiHunt, Nov 25, 2023.

1. TheArchiHunt
    TheArchiHunt Guest

Hello Microsoft,

I had an unauthorised transaction on my Xbox console when purchasing a game with a gift card with my Microsoft account balance, but $14.95 was charged to my debit card on my PayPal debit card on my PayPal account.

Can I request for a refund for the unauthorised transaction? If it was tax, then that's not a refund.

Thanks.

:)

TheArchiHunt, Nov 25, 2023
  2. Jose Martinez_22 Win User

Hi TheArchiHunt, my name is Jose and it is my pleasure to help you.

If you made a purchase on the same day that you have that $14.95 debit, it may be a tax for making said purchase. In any case, I couldn't tell you exactly since I'm simply a player like you and I'm not an employee. From Microsoft. What I can suggest is that you check the transaction history to see if the complete debit for the game plus the tax appears and if it does not appear, the debit should be there for that amount ($14.95).

https://account.microsoft.com/billing/orders/

If it does not appear, you could contact support to obtain a little more information regarding this issue.

Support: https://support.xbox.com/contact-us/

I will also leave you the refund form in case they tell you that it was an unauthorized debit: https://support.xbox.com/forms/request-a-refund

I hope I have helped you in some way, good luck to you.

Greetings,
    Jose.
  3. FrozenIceDragon Win User

Refund policy for unauthorised transactions

I have one account and ONLY one account. None of my relatives have access to the account. The purchase shows up at the billing site, but it's rather uninformative - it just says x number of points purchased, it doesn't even give a proper timestamp (just
    a date), and no information that would help me work out where the transaction was made. No one else has physical access to my xbox, and that is the only machine that can log in to my account without requiring the password, so all I can think of is that someone
    has obtained my password by whatever means and then made the purchase - presumably giving up when they only managed to buy 6k points, not the further 5k they attempted to buy immediately afterwards (that transaction was refused by my bank).
  4. ngocphi Win User

well then you're not investigating the correct account

no matter what all purchases on an account is reflected in billing.microsoft.com or purchase history

however if you use multiple acccount swith the same contact email you will have to look into those accounts billing history

as the same windows live id is not nessarily the contact email

really this sounds like a case of a relative purchased something without your permission maybe on another account that you are not looking at
  5. FrozenIceDragon Win User

Clarification: No-one in my household purchased the points. As far as I can tell someone at an external location (no idea where 'cos there's no logs available) logged into my account and purchased the points. Once I received the emails notifying me of the
    purchases (a couple of hours after it happened), I logged in myself, changed my password and removed the card from the account, and contacted customer support. What I was told is even though I hadn't performed the purchase, and no-one in my household had done
    it, there was no way I could get a refund apart from as points codes rather than money. Starting an Unauthorized Access Investigation wasn't even suggested by the rep. I'll phone support again once they open and specifically ask for an investigation, but surely
    this should have been suggested by the rep at the time as I was very clear about what had happened?
  6. Temhotabot Win User

If someone in your household used your account to purchase the points then no you would not be refunded anything. There are tools on the console to prevent unauthorized access to an account from your end. If you don't use them,
    that isn't MS's fault.

If someone stole your account, via phishing or social engineering, then you should call support and have them start an Unauthorized Access Investigation, at which time they will lock the account until it is complete, usually within
    7-30 business days. If the account is found to have been out of your control at the time of the purchase you will be refunded the amount (so long as you don't use them). If it is found to have been in your control at the time of the purchase then you will
    not be refunded anything.
Thema:

1. Request for a refund for an unauthorised transaction on Microsoft Store - Similar Threads - Request refund unauthorised

2. i requested a refund of dark souls 1 because it was not opening no matter what i tried and...

in XBoX on Windows
    i requested a refund of dark souls 1 because it was not opening no matter what i tried and...: i can provide proof of this if needed in video form aaef1a84-9f48-4c12-8cc2-a6bd6c150470
  3. Refund Request- Can i escalate

in XBoX on Windows
    Refund Request- Can i escalate: is there anyway to speak to someone regarding my refund which was meant to take 30 days and were now nearly at 4 months? I had money taken out via my phone bill that was nothing to do with me,...
  4. Why is my refund request still on approved?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why is my refund request still on approved?: I requested a refund for a game and it was approved, however I still own the game and my money was not returned. 55a81890-f857-4742-91b8-92f5fef4a478
  5. Can I resubmit a refund request? Xbox denied me my refund(within 14 days barely played)

in XBoX on Windows
    Can I resubmit a refund request? Xbox denied me my refund(within 14 days barely played): My roommate bought a game on our shared system using my account and card on accident. So they say at least. Point is I want a refund but xbox denied it but doesn't say why. I would prefer to talk...
  6. I requested a refund but haven’t received

in XBoX on Windows
    I requested a refund but haven’t received: I had requested a refund on 1/10/24 and I haven’t received it yet. I want to know why I haven’t gotten it yet something like has never occurred before! It was also accepted...
  7. The last 3 days I've gotten 2 emails saying the refund I requested is being looked and I...

in XBoX on Windows
    The last 3 days I've gotten 2 emails saying the refund I requested is being looked and I...: I appear to be not the only one a few of my buddies also received these emails not sure what's going on I don't believe it's a scam it really is microsoft but I'm confused at the refund I made...
  8. I requested 3 refunds on 1/8/24 and all were approved and I’ve still not received my refund

in XBoX on Windows
    I requested 3 refunds on 1/8/24 and all were approved and I’ve still not received my refund: I replied to a email about it and told them what happened but still not received a answer 93ddd2ee-ade7-479d-8643-c9a199676e1b
  9. refund request

in XBoX on Windows
    refund request: My refund request was approved on January 11th and still waiting for refund . [img] d1b4b68f-e7c4-45c9-bbfd-46ba5adeb79a
  10. It has been 12 days since my refund request had been accepted and the money is nowhere to...

in XBoX on Windows
    It has been 12 days since my refund request had been accepted and the money is nowhere to...: I requested a refund on the 20th of January and it was accepted the same day I have photo proof but the money has not been refunded yet and I still have access to the game....