Replaced disc drive, but doesnt read discs

Discus and support Replaced disc drive, but doesnt read discs in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I recently grabbed a 2nd hand xbox with a broken disc drive on the cheap. I then bought a brand new xbox drive and switched out the daughter board.... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Zonaackiss, May 25, 2022.

1. Zonaackiss
    Zonaackiss Guest

Hi, I recently grabbed a 2nd hand xbox with a broken disc drive on the cheap. I then bought a brand new xbox drive and switched out the daughter board. Never soldered before, but the wires attached very easily. The disc drive powers up, accepts and ejects discs, but it doesn't recognize them. I have only tried a dvd as I haven't purchased any games on disc at this point. I am wondering what could have went wrong? I will open it up again and check the cables were inserted correctly, but I am sure they looked good when I closed it up.

Additionally, now that I think about it, I don't know if the daughter board works or is the original one that came with this unit? The person that sold it to me stated he had tried to repair the drive by giving the lasers a clean etc. I can tell that it had been opened up, but the board didn't seem to have been damaged. Is there some way of verifying a number on the board is the correct one for the xbox?

Thanks

:)

Zonaackiss, May 25, 2022
  2. Smwutches Win User

We cannot assist you with self-repair.
  3. Arminator Win User

Xbox 360 error message Disc is Unreadable

When the console was knocked over, was a physical disc in the optical drive of the console actively spinning?

Just like a spinning top, a rotating disc doesn't "want" to be moved out of it's rotational axis.

If the console around the disc tips over and forces the disc out of it's rotational axis, the disc often hits parts inside the disc drive.

In the "best case" scenario, only the game disc is scratched and only that game will show read errors (and usually a ring shaped scratch on the silver side of the disc). In that case the disc is usually unusable, and has to be replaced.

In the "worst case" scenario, the disc collided with the reading laser head of the optical drive damaging it. Which means no disc can be read by the drive anymore, and the console has to be
    sent in for repair and drive replacement. So if other games with clean discs don't work, you'll have to send in your console for repairs.
  4. Idio7smg Win User

Damaged Halo 4 disc

Install Halo 4 to your hard drive if possible, as it will possibly help with disc reading. However, if it is unreadable, and you're unable to install it to your hard drive the only option is to get the game again, and as Hassassinade said, you should head
    on over to
    support.xbox.com/.../disc-replacement-program
  5. II M0Z II Win User

GTA 5 multiple unreadable disk

6. II M0Z II Win User

Gta 5

Thema:

1. Replaced disc drive, but doesnt read discs - Similar Threads - Replaced disc drive

2. How to request for replacement controller without a serial number?

in XBoX on Windows
    How to request for replacement controller without a serial number?: I bought the Xbox with Microsoft Complete Warranty. I registered the Xbox console but not its controller. Never had issues until the controller could not be turned on one day. Knowing I could...
  3. Does my replacement controller get a fresh 12 month warranty?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Does my replacement controller get a fresh 12 month warranty?: Hi, I started having stick-drift issues with my controller. It was still under warranty so I got a replacement last July (11 months ago). Having the same issues again, the same direction on the...
  4. Hi there! My left bumper isn't responding and I would like to know how I could replace my...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Hi there! My left bumper isn't responding and I would like to know how I could replace my...: It presses every say, 7 clicks and I looked inside the controller and it's not dirty. 7d1f9fb5-7216-4241-95c8-0996a0e0f2d8
  5. Xbox Housing / Case replacement

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox Housing / Case replacement: Hi All, we have a xbox series x and i wanted to clean a mark on the outside and the cleaning product rubbed away some of the cover off and left a mark. The Xbox is working fine it hasnt caused...
  6. I was sent a broken replace controller for my series 2 elite controller, and I can't get a...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I was sent a broken replace controller for my series 2 elite controller, and I can't get a...: My Xbox elite controller series 2 was out of warranty, so I decided to order in a replacement, however as soon as I powered on the replacement controller I realized the Right Bumper is completely...
  7. will my controller get replaced or repaired

in XBoX on Consoles
    will my controller get replaced or repaired: i have the Xbox Starfield themed controller and i was wondering if i sent it in (to fix a problem like stick drift) would they repair it or replace it with the same Starfield themed controller or...
  8. Can my controller be replaced if warranty repair didn't work?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can my controller be replaced if warranty repair didn't work?: I have Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 that was supposed to be repaired using the warranty repair for power/battery issues, but even after the repair the controller is still have having power...
  9. Xbox gamepad replacement issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox gamepad replacement issue: My Xbox gamepad has developed a drift issue, and I'm not sure what category to select for replacement. Is it normal that 'wireless controller' isn't listed? (translate)...
  10. Can anyone help troubleshoot disc drive replacement?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can anyone help troubleshoot disc drive replacement?: I replaced the disc drive on my Xbox one. The disc before wouldn't really spin. I successfully replaced the disc drive, and the disc still won't read. Suggestions?...