Recovering My Son's Account - Cannot Access Phone Used to Setup 2FA

Discus and support Recovering My Son's Account - Cannot Access Phone Used to Setup 2FA in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; My son was locked out of his Xbox Account after too many unsuccessful login attempts. Unfortunately we no longer have access to the phone used to setup... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by molecom67, Apr 30, 2023.

1. molecom67
    molecom67 Guest

My son was locked out of his Xbox Account after too many unsuccessful login attempts. Unfortunately we no longer have access to the phone used to setup 2FA, and do not have the 25 Digit Account Recovery Code. Everyone I've contacted at Microsoft said that they cannot recover the account. This is concerning as I conservatively estimate I have spent more than $1200 in the last 5 years on games, add-on's etc that can no longer be used.

Has anyone found a solve for this? I tried the account recovery form only to be told it wouldn't work due to 2FA being turned on. Any insight is appreciated.

:)

molecom67, Apr 30, 2023
  2. KindGryphon Win User

My son was locked out of his Xbox Account after too many unsuccessful login attempts. Unfortunately we no longer have access to the phone used to setup 2FA, and do not have the 25 Digit Account Recovery Code. Everyone I've contacted at Microsoft said that they cannot recover the account. This is concerning as I conservatively estimate I have spent more than $1200 in the last 5 years on games, add-on's etc that can no longer be used.

Has anyone found a solve for this? I tried the account recovery form only to be told it wouldn't work due to 2FA being turned on. Any insight is appreciated.
    If you didnt save the backup recovery codes (which are meant for this exact sort of situation) then unfortunately the account would be forever lost.

There would be no other way to get it back without either those recovery codes or access to being able to receieve the codes to the phone number that 2fa was setup under.
  3. Geri M. Win User

Hi molecom67,

We haven't heard from you for 72 hours, so we assume the issue has already been resolved. We will not monitor this thread going forward, so if you need further assistance, click this link to create a new thread to discuss these issues. Create a new question or start a discussion (microsoft.com)

[​IMG]

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,

Microsoft Community
  4. molecom67 Win User

Thanks Ben, but you can’t help. 4 separate people at Microsoft couldn’t help. I could not do a 30 day recovery because 2 step is enabled. I was told this by multiple people. So unless you know Bill Gates personally, I’m out more than $1200 dollars. The only solution is for my 25 digit code to magically show. up in my inbox. Thus I’m up a creek without a paddle.
  5. Ben4724 Win User

Hi! My name is Ben an Independent Advisor and an Xbox gamer. Hope you are doing well!

As a fellow gamer here, I totally understand how important it is to recover the account of your son. I'll try with the best of my knowledge to help!

First, if you still have access to at least one of the recovery information your account has on his account then there might still be a way to recover it. For us to try, kindly go to https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx and then reset the password for his account. If you can verify it at least once, it will ask another way to verify it the second time since you have 2 step verification as you mentioned.

Once you are on the 2nd verification page, choose the option "No" when it asks for the 25 digit recovery code. Then once it ask for another way to verify, choose "I don't have any of these" option located on the screen. This will allow you to put another piece of recovery information on his account in order for you to recover the account fully.

However, I just want to set your expectation that it will take 30 days for the new recovery information to take place on his account as that is part of Microsoft account security feature. But after the 30 days period, you would be able to access his account fully again and reset his password.

Just a tip to prevent this from happening again, what I suggest if you would like to have a 2 step verification is to have at least 3 piece of recovery information on the account so that way, you can easily recover the account in case of forgotten password or if you wish to reset password.

I hope the information helps somehow. Feel free to post back if you have questions or stuck in one of the steps so we can try to assist further.

Kind regards,

Ben
  6. Nicholas Goff Win User

im in the same boat <___>
Thema:

1. Recovering My Son's Account - Cannot Access Phone Used to Setup 2FA - Similar Threads - Recovering Son's Account

2. A freind of mines have been trying to recover her password to her game account but with no...

in XBoX Accessibility
    A freind of mines have been trying to recover her password to her game account but with no...: She tried the password recovery and anwered all the questions, but they keep telling her that unfortunately they cannot help, is there another way that she can access her account?...
  3. How to get my save file from xbox game pass and recover it?

in XboX Insiders
    How to get my save file from xbox game pass and recover it?: Im not sure if i should post it here or another subreddit but i found a post with a similar question so. I bought the xbox game pass on my pc and played it, specifically Persona 5 Royal is one of...
  4. I was wondering, is there any way to recover it? And if not, is Microsoft able to give me...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I was wondering, is there any way to recover it? And if not, is Microsoft able to give me...: So recently, I decided to factory reset my computer due to hardware issues. When I reinstalled Minecraft, I realized that the world that I had spent more than a hundred hours on had went away too....
  5. I can't recover the code I purchased for Minecraft.

in XBoX Accessibility
    I can't recover the code I purchased for Minecraft.: I haven't played Minecraft in 2 days. f8bce78a-0083-479b-a7a4-0207df41ed20
  6. I need help with recovering my son password

in XBoX Accessibility
    I need help with recovering my son password: I need assistance. We bought our son a new xbox when putting in his email he forgot his password. Please assist me as I tried everything possible f2496e23-9c01-49b9-a747-67891eb08e1d
  7. My son's account has the email and password changed, tried online recover but no luck for now

in XBoX Accessibility
    My son's account has the email and password changed, tried online recover but no luck for now: I have two child's account under my main account. For both I purchased a license for Minecraft. Now my son, yesterday received an information that his email linked to the microsoft has changed...
  8. Many failed attempts to recover my sons Hotmail account and get him back into his Xbox...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Many failed attempts to recover my sons Hotmail account and get him back into his Xbox...: I've been in the same situation. It is amazing to me that because I didn't update the cell number attached to my son's Hotmail account he is no longer able to log in to his Microsoft account to...
  9. How do I recover all of my sons old add-ons? He started playing again now that he's grown?

in XBoX on Windows
    How do I recover all of my sons old add-ons? He started playing again now that he's grown?: How do I recover all of my sons old add-ons? He is grown now, started playing again and tells me it was all connected to my email? 363ed5ca-01c5-4b53-b690-e9c9fe0554a2
  10. How do I recover my son's rec room account in occlusion 2?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How do I recover my son's rec room account in occlusion 2?: My son is unable to access his Jr rec room account. How do we recover his account? e8e9f1e0-dd39-4df0-8d84-40b71c73b020