Receiving error code 0x80169CF9 when attempting to redeem prepaid 3 month Gold card

Discus and support Receiving error code 0x80169CF9 when attempting to redeem prepaid 3 month Gold card in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; My Xbox Gold is up in a couple of days, and I just purchased a digital code from Amazon for 3-months of Gold, however attempting to redeem the code... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by xxNateDxx, Feb 3, 2014.

1. xxNateDxx
    xxNateDxx Guest

Receiving error code 0x80169CF9 when attempting to redeem prepaid 3 month Gold card

My Xbox Gold is up in a couple of days, and I just purchased a digital code from Amazon for 3-months of Gold, however attempting to redeem the code gets me a error code: 0x80169CF9, with a message of essentially "try again" if i attempt to redeem via Xbox.com.
    If I attempt to enter the code via my console I get an error message of "This payment option can't be used for this purchase. Please select a different payment option or add a new one"

In both cases the pre-paid card is recognized as being a 3 month Gold subscription, the errors only appear when you select confirm (on xbox.com) /redeem now (on console).

Is there a fix for this? I've used pre-paid cards in the past with no issue

:)

xxNateDxx, Feb 3, 2014
  2. Louball81
    Louball81 Guest
    Issue redeeming Day one 12 month gold membership

I recently got a day one 12 month gold membership prepaid card and when I try to redeem code this error code comes up..

Xbos-0x80169CF9

a414ff7c-47e0-4664-add3-d3150afbec87

please help

Louball81, Feb 3, 2014
  3. Trist
    Trist Guest
    Zoo Tycoon

I purchased and have received and redeemed the codes for the games but seem to be getting an error code trying to redeem the 12 Month Live code.

Xbos-0x80169CF9

Any ideas? It just suggests trying again later.

Trist, Feb 3, 2014
  4. maxxi1982
    maxxi1982 Guest

Same problem. Microsoft pls help

maxxi1982, Feb 27, 2014
  5. iamvinj
    iamvinj Guest
    Do you have payment instrument in your account? If none. Try adding one and then redeem the code.

You can contact Xbox Support for further assistance. So they can check your account if there's any pending balance that you need to settle.

Cheers!

iamvinj, Feb 28, 2014
  6. I had the same issue. Cryptic error messages do not help either.

The answer is simple: just wait until the old membership expires then the new one will work.

InnocentAlarm38, Mar 1, 2014
  7. SassieKat
    SassieKat Guest
    At this present time Xbox Live is issues with downloadable content. I just spoke with an agent and they are working it. Once it is fixed, you should be bale to download your games and purchase using any of your payment options, to include any Money on you
    Xbox acct. We do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. Please try again in about one hour to give them time to get this corrected.

SassieKat, Mar 1, 2014
  8. OpticDash
    OpticDash Guest

still not working for me I been on Xbox Live for long time I don't want to lose my streak because of some glitch or rule about using prepaid cards if I lose streak I jump ship

OpticDash, Mar 2, 2014
  9. SassieKat
    SassieKat Guest
    Error 80169cf9 occurs when you try to redeem an Xbox Live Gold code (
    support.xbox.com/.../error-code-lookup
    )

Problem:

You see the following error code and message when you try to redeem an Xbox Live Gold membership prepaid code or token:

80169cf9

The payment option can't be used for this purchase. Please select a different payment option or add a new one.

This error message occurs when you have an active membership but auto renewal is turned off, and the payment instrument that was used to purchase that membership has been removed from your account or is no longer associated with your membership.

Solution:

Because the payment instrument has been removed from your current membership, you will not be able to add a prepaid code or token for a membership while your current membership is still active. You must wait until your current membership has ended to redeem
    the token. Membership tokens do not expire. To find out when your membership will end, sign in to your Xbox account and tap or click Subscriptions to view the end dates for your current memberships and subscriptions.

Hope this helps!

SassieKat, Mar 2, 2014
  10. spookxXx
    spookxXx Guest
    i had the same problem folks..i could not redeem my 3 month subscribtion to xbox live..i called xbox and found out that my membership had been suspended for some reason or other..i had the problem fixed within 10 minutes and i was back online..i would suggest
    callin xbox and finding out if you have been suspended or not..explain to them the problem and they should fix it for you.. hope this helps

spookxXx, Jan 5, 2015
  11. Hey there, spookxXx! Thanks so much for posting up what resolved you with this issue! This thread is a bit old, though. There are other users that have posted more recently that can definitely use your insight! Head on over to those and see if you can help
    them out. We love see you guys help out your fellow gamers, and look forward to more posts from you. Receiving error code 0x80169CF9 when attempting to redeem prepaid 3 month Gold card :D

Misses Quinzel, Nov 1, 2018
  12. SassieKat Win User

Error 80169cf9 occurs when you try to redeem an Xbox Live Gold code (
    support.xbox.com/.../error-code-lookup
    )

Problem:

You see the following error code and message when you try to redeem an Xbox Live Gold membership prepaid code or token:

80169cf9

The payment option can't be used for this purchase. Please select a different payment option or add a new one.

This error message occurs when you have an active membership but auto renewal is turned off, and the payment instrument that was used to purchase that membership has been removed from your account or is no longer associated with your membership.

Solution:

Because the payment instrument has been removed from your current membership, you will not be able to add a prepaid code or token for a membership while your current membership is still active. You must wait until your current membership has ended to redeem
    the token. Membership tokens do not expire. To find out when your membership will end, sign in to your Xbox account and tap or click Subscriptions to view the end dates for your current memberships and subscriptions.

Hope this helps!
  13. Misses Quinzel Win User

Hey there, spookxXx! Thanks so much for posting up what resolved you with this issue! This thread is a bit old, though. There are other users that have posted more recently that can definitely use your insight! Head on over to those and see if you can help
    them out. We love see you guys help out your fellow gamers, and look forward to more posts from you. :D
  14. OpticDash Win User

still not working for me I been on Xbox Live for long time I don't want to lose my streak because of some glitch or rule about using prepaid cards if I lose streak I jump ship
  15. iamvinj Win User

Do you have payment instrument in your account? If none. Try adding one and then redeem the code.

You can contact Xbox Support for further assistance. So they can check your account if there's any pending balance that you need to settle.

Cheers!
  16. SassieKat Win User

At this present time Xbox Live is issues with downloadable content. I just spoke with an agent and they are working it. Once it is fixed, you should be bale to download your games and purchase using any of your payment options, to include any Money on you
    Xbox acct. We do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. Please try again in about one hour to give them time to get this corrected.
Thema:

1. Receiving error code 0x80169CF9 when attempting to redeem prepaid 3 month Gold card - Similar Threads - Receiving error code

2. I am receiving an error code 0x80070057 at launch of the Xbox app

in XBoX on Windows
    I am receiving an error code 0x80070057 at launch of the Xbox app: The problem that I have is with the Xbox App. I am receiving an error code 0x80070057 at launch of the app. I have spent days trying every fix It. Trouble shooting includes reinstalling and...
  3. I am receiving an error code when I try to open any online game. The error code is...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I am receiving an error code when I try to open any online game. The error code is...: I have over the last year been encountering this error. There are times that I can play like normal but then the error comes back randomly. It at times will last for a few days to weeks. It is...
  4. How can I update when I am receiving two error codes, 0x80073cf9 and 0x80070490?

in XBoX on Windows
    How can I update when I am receiving two error codes, 0x80073cf9 and 0x80070490?: I have been trying to update the app, but I keep receiving two error codes 0x80073cf9 and 0x80070490. I have tried everything I could, but nothing has worked. I am unable to use my game pass...
  5. Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver Error Code 10

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver Error Code 10: [img] Hello everyone, after updating my PC from windows 10 to 11 two days ago, my Xbox 360 wireless receiver stopped working. In the device manager it states "The divice can't be started (Code...
  6. I cannot sign into Xbox Live on enabled games on PC. I receive error code 0x80070520....

in XBoX Accessibility
    I cannot sign into Xbox Live on enabled games on PC. I receive error code 0x80070520....: Despite having a Xbox account in good standing, and being able to sign in the app and website, when I launch an Xbox enabled PC game I get code 0x80070520. This impacts both the new Forza...
  7. Receiving error code 0x803FB005 when trying to download the xbox app from the microsoft store.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Receiving error code 0x803FB005 when trying to download the xbox app from the microsoft store.: I'm able to download other apps such as netflix fine. Ive even tried to download it from the xbox website and get problems there too. Ive reset the store and gone through all troubleshooting tips...
  8. Xbox Series X/Cloud Gaming: Continuously receive error code 0x80830003. Tried everything

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X/Cloud Gaming: Continuously receive error code 0x80830003. Tried everything: Xbox Series X/Cloud Gaming: I continuously get error 0x80830003 when playing on the cloud. I have reset my console (keeping saves and games), reset my console a second time (deleting everything...
  9. I am receiving the error code 0x80070002 when trying to play Starfield on my PC

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I am receiving the error code 0x80070002 when trying to play Starfield on my PC: I am receiving the error code 0x80070002 when trying to play Starfield on my PC (Xbox Game Pass for PC, Windows 11). The only one solution is reinstalling the game (140 GB!) everytime I want to...
  10. Receiving error code: 0x80070002 when downloading, updating, moving games in XBOX app

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Receiving error code: 0x80070002 when downloading, updating, moving games in XBOX app: I tried re-installing the gaming service. It didn't work. I have no idea how to fix it. 9fce01ee-3642-4f06-a48d-d19bed1f55d8