Receiving error 0x87e00196 when attempting to install any game

Discus and support Receiving error 0x87e00196 when attempting to install any game in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; When attempting to install any game using PC game pass / the Xbox app, it abruptly stops prior to allowing any installation and says "Something went... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by iHavo, Oct 26, 2023.

1. iHavo
    iHavo Guest

When attempting to install any game using PC game pass / the Xbox app, it abruptly stops prior to allowing any installation and says "Something went wrong", providing the error code 0x87e00196.

Image of Error Message

This appears to potentially be following a failed installation of a larger game, as I'd run out of drive space the day prior while attempting to install a different game. I've since cleared out roughly 300gb free space, and the game I'm trying to install is only 70gb. There doesn't appear to be any issue prior to attempting to install, and then it abruptly fails and provides that error immediately after pressing "install".

Troubleshooting Attempts

All information I've found regarding this error appears to relate to Gaming Services, which I've uninstalled, restarted, and reinstalled over 5 times. I've also uninstalled, went into regedit and removed gamingservices and gamingservicesnet, then restarted and reinstalled. I've also uninstalled both the Xbox app and gaming services, restarted, then reinstalled both to no avail.

After quite extensive self troubleshooting, I'm absolutely stumped. Any insight I could get would be greatly appreciated!

System Info

Windows 10, version 22H2
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.01 GHz
    Ram: 32.0 GB
    OS Build: 19045.3570
    Local Disk (CReceiving error 0x87e00196 when attempting to install any game :) Available Storage: 27.5GB free

Hard Drive (DReceiving error 0x87e00196 when attempting to install any game :) Available Storage: 288GB free
    (Attempting to install to my D drive)

:)

iHavo, Oct 26, 2023
  2. Utterly Disgusted Win User

Xbox Gaming Services will not update, install, reinstall. Took all my games with it.

Done, no success. Games still throw Error: 0x87e00196 when attempting to install.
  3. iHavo Win User

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply!

I gave the command another try, and it successfully uninstalled Gaming Services - after re-installing though (and selecting yes on the pop-up), it appears to still be giving the error.

I also attempted walking through the steps shown in that video, which I hadn't yet tried! Though it's still providing the error.

Additionally, I attempted to install a smaller game (~2gb) to my C drive, just to determine if it's a drive issue by any chance, but it still provides the error.

Again though, I really appreciate your response!
  4. iHavo Win User

That's perfect, thanks for your help!
  5. Daniel Gill_354 Win User

Hi again IHavo, at this point I wouldn't know what else to tell you. But don't worry, here in the forum there are many experts who can help you. I'm going to release your question so someone else can write to you. Alright?
  6. Daniel Gill_354 Win User

Hi IHavo! I hope you are well, delighted to be able to offer you my help!

I understand the problem you are presenting, let's say that what you mention is a bit common, many times we run out of space on the hard drive and this error usually appears in these cases.

I totally don't know if you have tried the next step, which is writing a command in PowerShell, anyway I will leave it for you to try again:

1. Right-click the Start button on your taskbar, and then select Windows Terminal (Admin).
    2. In the Administrator: Windows PowerShell screen, type the following command and press Enter:

Get-AppxPackage *gamingservices* -allusers | remove-appxpackage -allusers

Reference page: https://support.xbox.com/help/errors/error-code-0x87e00196

As additional information I want to leave you the following video, so you can take a look, it only lasts 1 minute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SgTXcDrpzc

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Best regards,
    Daniel.
Thema:

1. Receiving error 0x87e00196 when attempting to install any game - Similar Threads - Receiving error 0x87e00196

2. I keep receiving the system error E102 00000C01 8007045D

in XBoX on Consoles
    I keep receiving the system error E102 00000C01 8007045D: I keep receiving the system error E102 00000C01 8007045D 33d17f4b-f468-4c7a-bc31-2531e78a8289
  3. I am receiving an error code 0x80070057 at launch of the Xbox app

in XBoX on Windows
    I am receiving an error code 0x80070057 at launch of the Xbox app: The problem that I have is with the Xbox App. I am receiving an error code 0x80070057 at launch of the app. I have spent days trying every fix It. Trouble shooting includes reinstalling and...
  4. I am receiving an error code when I try to open any online game. The error code is...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I am receiving an error code when I try to open any online game. The error code is...: I have over the last year been encountering this error. There are times that I can play like normal but then the error comes back randomly. It at times will last for a few days to weeks. It is...
  5. How can I update when I am receiving two error codes, 0x80073cf9 and 0x80070490?

in XBoX on Windows
    How can I update when I am receiving two error codes, 0x80073cf9 and 0x80070490?: I have been trying to update the app, but I keep receiving two error codes 0x80073cf9 and 0x80070490. I have tried everything I could, but nothing has worked. I am unable to use my game pass...
  6. Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver Error Code 10

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver Error Code 10: [img] Hello everyone, after updating my PC from windows 10 to 11 two days ago, my Xbox 360 wireless receiver stopped working. In the device manager it states "The divice can't be started (Code...
  7. I cant log in to my account and when I do I receive one of several errors.

in XBoX Accessibility
    I cant log in to my account and when I do I receive one of several errors.: I can't log into any Microsoft related accounts. Upon logging in I get the error message "Please try again later, " or "The application has made too many requests. Press Retry to continue."...
  8. I cannot sign into Xbox Live on enabled games on PC. I receive error code 0x80070520....

in XBoX Accessibility
    I cannot sign into Xbox Live on enabled games on PC. I receive error code 0x80070520....: Despite having a Xbox account in good standing, and being able to sign in the app and website, when I launch an Xbox enabled PC game I get code 0x80070520. This impacts both the new Forza...
  9. Receiving error code 0x803FB005 when trying to download the xbox app from the microsoft store.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Receiving error code 0x803FB005 when trying to download the xbox app from the microsoft store.: I'm able to download other apps such as netflix fine. Ive even tried to download it from the xbox website and get problems there too. Ive reset the store and gone through all troubleshooting tips...
  10. Points purchase error in the mut madden store it’s been a week that I haven’t received my...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Points purchase error in the mut madden store it’s been a week that I haven’t received my...: When I come to buy points in the madden mut store it says points purchasing error how can I fixed this ? Thank you 44c4d818-a927-4a93-895b-d108b7a97052