RDR2 won't let me play story mode even though I own the full game.

Discus and support RDR2 won't let me play story mode even though I own the full game. in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I recently purchased RDR2 on the Xbox store, the version that includes both story mode and online. I am confident it isn't just the online version. I... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by vadoobs, Dec 23, 2023.

1. vadoobs
    vadoobs Guest

I recently purchased RDR2 on the Xbox store, the version that includes both story mode and online. I am confident it isn't just the online version. I installed it on my Xbox Series X - the file size is 105GB for reference.

When I launch the game it says I need to purchase story mode, but I own it. I have seen a few things saying game performance can be affected if there is a version on Gamepass, but currently there are no RDR2 games on gamepass.

Does anyone know a fix for this? I have tried powercycling my Xbox, clearing persistent storage and a few other methods I have seen suggested on here.

Thanks in advance.

:)

vadoobs, Dec 23, 2023
  2. Tomm_A Win User

Hello vadoobs,

We haven't heard from you, so we assume that your issue has already been addressed. We will not be monitoring this thread moving forward so, if you need further assistance, please create a new thread to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Create a new question (microsoft.com)

Thank you for your understanding.

Respectfully,

3. Tomm_A Win User

Hello vadoobs,

Greetings!

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

It seems that you're having trouble playing the story mode of RDR2 even though you own the full game. Let us help you get to the bottom of this.

Here are some steps you can try:

Check Your Purchase History:

- First, verify that the game is still listed in your Xbox purchase history. Make sure it appears there as evidence of your ownership.

Remove and Re-Add Your Account:

- Remove your Xbox account from your console and then add it back. Ensure that you sign in using the exact account that contains the game.

- Sometimes, refreshing your account connection can resolve issues related to game ownership.

Soft Reset Your Console:

- Perform a soft reset on your Xbox Series X:

- Press and hold the Xbox button on the front of the console for about 10 seconds until it turns off.

- Wait for a few seconds, then turn it back on.

- After the reset, check if the game recognizes your ownership of the story mode.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the game. Before doing so, make sure to check that your Xbox Live account is signed in and that your console is connected to the internet.

We look forward to your response. Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

4. IndexRailgun96 Win User

Can't play RDR2's story mode on main account.

Just to confirm, do you have the full game installed? There is the Full game which is what you said that you purchased a while back. There is the Online mode which is available through Game Pass or purchase. And there is the seperate Story mode add-on for the Online version. So you would need either the full game installed or the Story mode purchased as the add-on for the Online mode.

Which way do you have it set up?
    I have the full game installed.

If I try to play using only the profile I bought the game with, it lets me play the story, but if I try to play with another profile even though the account that owns the game is also active, it only lets me play online and ask me to buy the story.
  5. Nursemorph Win User

I want to play red dead redemption two I bought but it want let me download story mode

RDR2 Story is a DLC for the Online mode...so you need to own the online mode to be able to play the story
  6. Juan Pitre Win User

I can no longer run Red Dead Redemption 2 story mode offline since the last xbox one update. I have the physical disc.

I just tried to play RDR2 offline but it won't even start the game with the disc inside. What happened? Was this from the latest consol update? Someone please let me know a fix. I don't have time to connect to the internet everytime to play offline story.
Thema:

1. RDR2 won't let me play story mode even though I own the full game. - Similar Threads - RDR2 won't let

2. Should really add rdr2 idk its sound like a good idea to me

in XboX Insiders
    Should really add rdr2 idk its sound like a good idea to me: Should add red dead redemption 2 to the game pass again’ just saying submitted by /u/Weekly_Way6004 [link] [comments]
  3. Lost saved game data - RDR2 (Xbox One Series S)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Lost saved game data - RDR2 (Xbox One Series S): During Summer holidays here down in Australia I decided I'd get back to playing Red Dead Redemption 2. I'd already completed the story once. Around a year ago I decided I'd try and do all the...
  4. Trying to install RDR2 on my Xbox 1 but the download keeps stopping for some reason. It...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Trying to install RDR2 on my Xbox 1 but the download keeps stopping for some reason. It...: Trying to install RDR2 on my Xbox 1 but the download keeps stopping for some reason. It also says the game needs an update and I don't even have it installed yet 259bc5a7-f059-4b51-a564-dd1177a5afde
  5. rdr2 story mode

in XBoX Games and Apps
    rdr2 story mode: this question is about red dead redemption 2. i was playing the game i was on like chapter 3 with around $3000 and a lot of horses but i got killed by wolves and when i respawned i respawned in...
  6. How do i fix rdr2 from crashing?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How do i fix rdr2 from crashing?: i just recently bought an xbox one s and installed rdr2 but everytime ive played it, it crashes within 40 minutes. ive tried restarting my console, and its not overheating ive made sure of it but...
  7. I get the BSOD when playing story mode on RDR2 - WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I get the BSOD when playing story mode on RDR2 - WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR: Hey! So I've recently upgraded my SSD to 1 TB so I can download and play RDR2, and I enter the game but when i press Story Mode it starts loading then crashes and either shows me the BSOD...
  8. Why do you have problems with moding some singleplayer games like RDR2

in XBoX on Windows
    Why do you have problems with moding some singleplayer games like RDR2: I do not understand why not it makes some games better and have better gameplays and role plays 93719360-2fcc-47dd-9d55-d4fa7037a2e1
  9. I was playing rdr2 and wanted to load up a different save I loaded it up fine and then it...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I was playing rdr2 and wanted to load up a different save I loaded it up fine and then it...: I even loded the files to cloud and restarted console it's still not there b68dd2cb-7a1f-49fa-aec1-310af6bd885a
  10. Can't Play RDR2. Won't Launch

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't Play RDR2. Won't Launch: Trying to launch RDR2 on XboxOne. Game is digitally installed and downloaded on my xbox. No problem playing since it was released. Played earlier this afternoon. Now when I go to launch it, I...