Proof of Account Ownership

Discus and support Proof of Account Ownership in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; (Account I'm asking this through has no issues) My girlfriend realized a few months ago she wasn't able to sign in to her Xbox profile on her computer,... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by Jesse Nickell1, Nov 27, 2023.

1. Proof of Account Ownership

(Account I'm asking this through has no issues) My girlfriend realized a few months ago she wasn't able to sign in to her Xbox profile on her computer, because she didn't remember the password, and no longer had the same phone number (so password resetting isn't an option). She tried using the Form to reset it, but "failed" the attempt. Luckily, she had her Xbox set to auto-signin, so was able to still play and make purchases.

We didn't know Microsoft would eventually make her have to signin again, which is what happened this morning. Upon turning on her Xbox, it, oddly, behaved as though it were new, asking for settings options as though it were a new console (not sure if it was an auto-update, or what happened), then asked for a profile to signin to. Oh no!

So we tried using the Form again, but don't really know how to do it "better" this time, and have some questions related to filling this form out:

- Where it asks for her profile name, should she enter the current profile name? Asking because she has changed it a few times over the years (including paying to do so). Just wanted to be sure she shouldn't enter an old profile name?

- It asks what console she's primarily played on, which has been Xbox Series S this past year or so, but the only options are Xbox 360 and Xbox One. What should we choose?

- For the question that asks for the last 4 digits of the credit/debit card, should she enter the numbers for the first card originally saved on file years ago (which is still on file as default, but is expired and hasn't been used to make a purchase in a long time), or should she enter the last 4 digits of her current card, that she's been using for Xbox purchases for at least the last 6 months, which is also saved on the account, but may not be the "default" CC on file?

(Btw, very strange she can't list off her purchases with price and date details to help confirm identity, since she can easily look at her bank account to figure this out)

- For birthdate, where is this being pulled from? Is it the birthdate associated with her debit cards? Or was this asked when she first created the account (neither of us remember if we had to do this). If it was simply asked when she created the account, she wouldn't have known this was used for identity confirmation, and may have originally entered "something random". She's not sure if the birthdate on file is correct, so is she better off leaving that blank, or entering her real birthdate even though it may not match?

- For zip code, where is this pulling from? The zip code that matches the address on file for her debit card? She's never ordered anything to be sent to a physical address, so how would they know where she lives? She's also moved multiple times, so should she keep trying over and over with each of her past zip codes, or is she better off leaving it blank?

- On the positive side, she does have the following. Shouldn't this be enough?:
    1. She still has her console she's been playing on her profile exclusively for at least this past year, and can fill out Form through the console's browser if that helps? (She also used to play on my Xbox Series X more than a year ago, but it doesn't ask us to list "other" devices played on, unfortunately.)
    2. She can enter the Network Console ID from her console, which I think is the correct number to enter?
    3. Although she takes her Xbox around to a lot to different places, she can still connect it from our home, which has been the most consistent location she's played from. I'm not sure if it has the same IP address (whatever the Comcast norm is), but it's the same network, address, and Comcast internet, if that's what's being checked?
    4. She has her debit card she's been using for purchases this past year.
    5. The name on that card, and her previous expired card(s), are all the same (her own name), which is the same name on the account.
    6. She was originally declined submitting the Form from her computer while connected to our home's internet, but it just occurred to us to try using the Browser on her Xbox today (we're waiting for the results). Should this help?
    7. She has videos and screenshots of herself streaming on her account -- not likely helpful, but it would be nice if she could submit that, and her Driver's License ID, with her form.

- We live in Seattle, and can get to Redmond easily. Is there anywhere she can go to in person to prove her identity, account's purchase history, and whatever else is needed to prove? Like the home-base Microsoft store, or any department/building where the public can go for help?

Thanks in advance

:)

Jesse Nickell1, Nov 27, 2023
  2. kyle_m4496 Win User

If you can leave that question blank then try that.

It is the preferred billing address, which if the old card is default should be the address that was registered to that card.

> "If you can, submit the form from a computer you frequently use with this account."

In that case I was mistaken, my apologies. Although this applies more to if the account was mainly used on a desktop computer rather than the consoles.

Microsoft will require signing in to a device again from time to time, login sessions expire for security. It's best to address account access issues immediately as at some point you will need to log in again, even on a device you're already signed into.

Thanks,
    Kyle
  3. Jesse Nickell1 Win User

Hi Kyle, thanks for the reply.

I understand you're not able to get us access to the account directly, but I have seen other advisers post helpful replies to users' particular situation, and answer questions about the Form itself, and what the Form is asking for.

If you, or anyone else, can please take a look at the 5 bullet points/dashes, with questions about what the Form wants form us, that would be extremely helpful. For example, the only options for "last played on" is Xbox 360 and XBox One, and neither apply (no option to select XBox Series S). The other bullet points are similar "what do they want us to answer with" questions.

Thanks for your time,
    Jesse
  4. kyle_m4496 Win User

Hi Jesse. My name is Kyle and I'm an independent advisor.

Please note that this is a public forum, we are not Microsoft employees and do not have insight into account information. We only provide technical support for Xbox devices and services.

To protect customer privacy, Microsoft can only help customers verify their account ownership through the online password recovery process. I'm afraid customer support cannot assist with account recovery, and going to Redmond in-person to prove account ownership is definitely out of the question. There is an official support process (the form) and that is the only option sadly.

If you remember any new details that might help with the recovery process, it's encouraged to keep trying to recover your account using the online account recovery form.

https://support.xbox.com/help/account-profile/manage-account/lost-password-solution

I apologise for any inconvenience caused by this. Please reach back if you have further questions.

Thanks,
    Kyle
  5. kyle_m4496 Win User

I will try to clarify what the form is requesting. Unless the form states otherwise, it is asking for the most current information on the account.

- Enter the current profile name.

- It is strange that the Series S isn't listed as a primary console, I advise just choosing Xbox One in this case.

- I believe you can enter the details for any card that's on the account unless it's asking for details from a specific card.

- Birth date is the set on the account when creating it. Enter the real birth date even if you're not sure if it's correct.

- Zip code will be based on the billing or shipping address registered to the account. If there's a debit card on the account, there will be an address on record.

I know some recovery processes do take into account which device and browser is being used, but as far as I'm aware the acsr form does not. You can try it on the Xbox's browser but if she never signed in using the browser on Xbox before it is unlikely to help.

Any information you're unsure of, you can try leaving blank instead, but it's best to provide as much info as possible to increase your chances of recovery.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks,
    Kyle
  6. Jesse Nickell1 Win User

I appreciate these details, this will help us reduce the number of attempts.

"It is strange that the Series S isn't listed as a primary console, I advise just choosing Xbox One in this case."

We are able to leave this question blank, so are you sure Xbox One is the best option, when she's only played on Series S this past year (and my Series X before that)? You're right, it's very odd the new consoles aren't options, and it worries me she's getting failed because of this.

"I believe you can enter the details for any card that's on the account unless it's asking for details from a specific card."
    It doesn't specify, just says credit card on the account, so we've been trying the one that she's been using for purchases for the past year. But she noticed it still defaults to the old, expired one (she's been choosing the new card from the options, each time she makes a purchase).

"Zip code will be based on the billing or shipping address registered to the account. If there's a debit card on the account, there will be an address on record."

She's never had anything shipped, so that leaves the address attached to the debit card? With multiple debit cards on file, that goes back to the question -- the original first expired default debit card on file, or the newer one used for purchases this past year?

"I know some recovery processes do take into account which device and browser is being used, but as far as I'm aware the acsr form does not. You can try it on the Xbox's browser but if she never signed in using the browser on Xbox before it is unlikely to help."

That's unfortunate if true. The tips for this form say "If you can, submit the form from a computer you frequently use with this account.", but she only used it for Xbox, not on her computer, but we were hoping it could tell the form is being submitted on the same console.

It's not like she's trying to get back into some old, forgotten account -- she's been using this account almost every day for years, purchasing regularly, up until yesterday, when her Xbox FORCED her autosign to be reset. I'm shocked there's no way to just point to her provable identity and the fact that she's been making purchases with her debit card that she still has, even purchased very recently, and started subscribing (again) to GamePass just a couple weeks ago. All on a console that she still has. It's just shocking.

Thanks again,
    Jesse
Thema:

1. Proof of Account Ownership - Similar Threads - Proof Account Ownership

2. Minecraft account compromised and email changes, I have proof it was mine but can’t get in...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Minecraft account compromised and email changes, I have proof it was mine but can’t get in...: The title is pretty much it. I was in a discord server that got compromised and a bunch of people ended up with malware that keylogged their passwords. I was one of them. The hacker changed the...
  3. Proof of free download - Restoring my account

in XBoX Accessibility
    Proof of free download - Restoring my account: Merry Christmas everyone. Can someone please help. I'm having issues logging back in to my game account. I've tried all the reset options and contacted the game support. In order to reset my...
  4. My account was hacked and they got me banned for a year! I have proof it was them and have...

in XBoX Accessibility
    My account was hacked and they got me banned for a year! I have proof it was them and have...: My account was hacked and they got me banned for a year! I have proof it was them and have reached out to everyone to try and help me with Xbox support teams doing nothing? Suggestions?...
  5. My microsoft account got stolen, I have proof of the scammer. What can I do to get...

in XBoX Accessibility
    My microsoft account got stolen, I have proof of the scammer. What can I do to get...: So I was playing minecraft and suddenly I got logged out. I checked my email and it said that my microsoft account's details got changed. The email got changed aswell. I have proof of the scammer...
  6. My minecraft account got hacked but i have proof that is it mine and i need help

in XBoX Accessibility
    My minecraft account got hacked but i have proof that is it mine and i need help: - So i tried to request a password reset from the minecraft website and there was no email sent to me. - I wrote a ticket to mojang support team and the first reply they said there was no mojang...
  7. If my account was hacked and I have proof the account was originally mine, can I get it back?

in XBoX Accessibility
    If my account was hacked and I have proof the account was originally mine, can I get it back?: Earlier today my Microsoft account was compromised. My email attached to the account was removed and the hacker's email was added in place of mine. I have proof the account was originally mine and...
  8. Can I use my steam account linked to my hacked Microsoft account as proof of ownership?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can I use my steam account linked to my hacked Microsoft account as proof of ownership?: My Microsoft account got hacked and changed the email account connected to it. My Skype username has also been disabled for log-in. I checked the profile of my hacked account and noticed that my...
  9. My Microsoft account was hacked, can I still get my Minecraft account back with proof?

in XBoX Accessibility
    My Microsoft account was hacked, can I still get my Minecraft account back with proof?: Recently I was unable to log into my Minecraft account, I found out because my Microsoft account was not working. It gave me an error message saying that my account did not exist. I have tried...
  10. Hacked account, filled out recovery form Wed, submitted proof, worried about gamer tag...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Hacked account, filled out recovery form Wed, submitted proof, worried about gamer tag...: My account was recently hacked and the email and password were changed. I filled out the account recovery form on Wednesday and have had extensive phone calls and submitted tons of proof showing...