Problem using large external hard drive to play video files via Media Player app

Discus and support Problem using large external hard drive to play video files via Media Player app in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello, This is the first time posting something on here. The information here is lengthy, but I wanted to provide a comprehensive description at my... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by TG Scooter, May 8, 2017.

1. TG Scooter
    TG Scooter Guest

Problem using large external hard drive to play video files via Media Player app

Hello,

This is the first time posting something on here. The information here is lengthy, but I wanted to provide a comprehensive description at my problem. Thanks in advance for any constructive input.

First off, I have a large amount of home movies and photos. Somewhere in the area of 7-8 TB worth. And with my phone shooting in 4K, It's only going to get larger and larger. I’ve worked on cars a lot over the years, taking videos and photos with various
    cameras and phones for reference. Also, I'm a new homeowner who takes a lot of before and after video and pics of projects. Not to mention the old VHS family recordings I’ve converted to digital. Sorry about all that, just trying to set the stage.

PROBLEM: When trying to view videos via the Xbox One (X1) Media Player app, it gives an “unsupported format” error.

It’s not as simple as that though…

When I start to reach capacity on certain drives, the X1 will recognize all the files, but it will not show the cover art or play the file at all. But it plays some files.

For example, if the drive has 2,000 files, it plays 800 of them correctly, but the other 1,200 it gives an error and doesn’t display the cover art. But it I divide all 2,000 files onto smaller drives, then the X1 plays them without problem.

Format: The drives are all NTFS formatted. And the files are compatible. As I mentioned above, I use several 1TB and 2TB drives, and all these files play fine on the X1.

--------------------

I borrowed and tested other drives and X1 consoles to rule out one piece of equipment being the issue.

Drives: Some drives are mine and others belong to family and friends (I’m not rich lol). Here’s the lineup:

One (1) Seagate Backup Plus 5TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0, Silver (STDR5000101)

Four (4) Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0, Blue (STDR2000102)

Two (2) Seagate Backup Plus 5TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STDT5000100)

Two (2) Seagate Backup Plus 8TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STDT8000100)

---------------------

The External 5TB (STDT5000100) drives and the 2TB (STDR2000102) portables all operate fine. I also have a Western Digital 2TB portable that works fine.

I’m seeing the issue with the 8 TB (STDT8000100) external drives and the 5TB (STDR5000101) portable

-----------------

Here’s a couple scenarios:

1. I add 25% capacity worth of files to the 8 TB (and portable 5TB) drive and the X1 displays all art and plays all files correctly (YAY!)
    2. When I begin to fill the drive (somewhere over 50% full) then the X1 shows the file, but no art and gives an “unsupported format” error (BOO!)
    -----------------

I’ve chatted with 2-3 different Microsoft (MS) support reps in the past. They went through the typical questions: “Did you try another drive of the same size, did you try another X1 console, what are the formats of the files, etc. ...”

The last conversion I had with a MS support rep ended with “Can you find a different brand 8TB to try?”

No. I haven’t. These drives aren’t cheap enough to go buy another and I trust that the drives are functioning correctly. Afterall, I can still view files on my PC via the 8TB when it’s near full.

-----------------

One more thing to add,

In scenario 2, the files that the X1 will play are the files that were added first. For example, if adding files 1-1000, File 1-300 will play fine, but then 301-1000 will not play. But if I remove all files and add only files 301-500 to the drive, it will
    play them fine. My point is, it's not the file that the problem, is the X1 not able to retrieve them all when it's near capacity.

-----------------------------

Here’s my non-tech savvy theory: I believe that the X1 is timing out during its scan of the files. Any files not fully scanned after the “timeout” will be unplayable. Perhaps it’s not entirely the X1’s fault, I think the 5TB portable and the 8TB external
    drives are crammed to the max and the discs layered in such a way that maybe the X1 isn’t ready for it. Maybe it reads the first layer fine, but cannot access and play the next layer... idk. Again, I’m not tech savvy, so break me in gently.

Thank you

:)

TG Scooter, May 8, 2017
  2. Zephr0n
    Zephr0n Guest
    Problem playing video files on large external hard drive using Media Player app

I ran into the same problem. See this thread

Media Player Flaw

It also doesn't help that searching for that error code returns no results :/

Zephr0n, May 8, 2017
  3. TG Scooter
    TG Scooter Guest

Hello,

This is the first time posting something on here. The information here is lengthy, but I wanted to provide a comprehensive description at my problem. Thanks in advance for any constructive input.

First off, I have a large amount of home movies and photos. Somewhere in the area of 7-8 TB worth. And with my phone shooting in 4K, It's only going to get larger and larger. I’ve worked on cars a lot over the years, taking videos and photos with various
    cameras and phones for reference. Also, I'm a new homeowner who takes a lot of before and after video and pics of projects. Not to mention the old VHS family recordings I’ve converted to digital. Sorry about all that, just trying to set the stage.

PROBLEM: When trying to view videos via the Xbox One (X1) Media Player app, it gives an error: "Can't play 0xc00d11cd (0x80070001)"

It’s not as simple as that though…

When I start to reach capacity on certain drives, the X1 will recognize all the files, but it will not show the cover art or play the file at all. But it plays some files.

For example, if the drive has 2,000 files, it plays 800 of them correctly, but the other 1,200 it gives an error and doesn’t display the cover art. But it I divide all 2,000 files onto smaller drives, then the X1 plays them without problem.

Format: The drives are all NTFS formatted. And the files are compatible. As I mentioned above, I use several 1TB and 2TB drives, and all these files play fine on the X1.

I borrowed and tested other drives and X1 consoles to rule out one piece of equipment being the issue.

Drives: Some drives are mine and others belong to family and friends (I’m not rich lol). Here’s the lineup:

One (1) Seagate Backup Plus 5TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0, Silver (STDR5000101)

Four (4) Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0, Blue (STDR2000102)

Two (2) Seagate Backup Plus 5TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STDT5000100)

Two (2) Seagate Backup Plus 8TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STDT8000100)

---------------------

The External 5TB (STDT5000100) drives and the 2TB (STDR2000102) portables all operate fine. I also have a Western Digital 2TB portable that works fine.

I’m seeing the issue with the 8 TB (STDT8000100) external drives and the 5TB (STDR5000101) portable

-----------------

Here’s a couple scenarios:

1. I add 25% capacity worth of files to the 8 TB (and portable 5TB) drive and the X1 displays all art and plays all files correctly (YAY!)
    2. When I begin to fill the drive (somewhere over 50% full) then the X1 shows the file, but no art and gives an “unsupported format” error (BOO!)
    -----------------

I’ve chatted with 2-3 different Microsoft support reps in the past. They went through the typicals questions: “Did you try another drive of the same size, did you try another X1 console, what are the formats of the files, etc. ...”

The last conversion I had with a MS support rep ended with “Can you find a different brand 8TB to try?”

No. I haven’t. These drives aren’t cheap enough to go buy another and I trust that the drives are functioning correctly. Afterall, I can still view files on my PC via the 8TB when it’s near full.

One more thing to add,

In scenario 2, the files that the X1 will play are the files that were added first. For example, if adding files 1-1000, File 1-300 will play fine, but then 301-1000 will not play. But if I remove all files and add only files 301-500 to the drive, it will
    play them fine. My point is, it's not the file that the problem, is the X1 not able to retrieve them all when it's near capacity.

-----------------------------

Here’s my non-tech savvy theory: I believe that the X1 is timing out during its scan of the files. Any files not fully scanned after the “timeout” will be unplayable. Perhaps it’s not entirely the X1’s fault, I think the 5TB portable and the 8TB external
    drives are crammed to the max and the discs layered in such a way that maybe the X1 isn’t ready for it. Maybe it reads the first layer fine, but cannot access and play the next layer... idk. Again, I’m not tech savvy, so break me in gently.

Thank you

TG Scooter, May 8, 2017
  4. TG Scooter
    TG Scooter Guest

Update: The actual error I get is,

"Can't play. Please try again. If the problem continues, visit [...]

0xc00d11cd (0x80070001)"

TG Scooter, May 9, 2017
  5. Miss Bijoux
    Miss Bijoux Guest
    Hey there Scooter!

For someone who claims they aren't very tech-savvy, you sure have tried a lot of things and given us a lot of information. My hunch is that your theory is correct - there's just too much going on and the drive times out.

That said, I do have a couple questions. How many of your external HDDs do you have plugged into your console at any given time? If you have more than one, can you unplug the smaller and see if just the 5TB or 8TB works alone? Also, how long do you leave
    your 5/8TB HDDs plugged in for before they stop? Basically what I'm asking here is, does your console maybe just not have enough time to process the contents before you give up or is it giving up long before then?

If your drives simply have too much content that the console can't process, I'm afraid there's not much we can really do troubleshooting wise. It sounds like you have lots of other HDDs though, maybe you can just rotate content there? Or possibly look into
    something like a
    Plex
    server where you can stream the content from your PC directly.

Hopefully that helps a bit. Let us know if you have any other questions. Problem using large external hard drive to play video files via Media Player app :)

--------------------------------------

Xbox Forums Staff

Be sure to check out the Xbox Forum Guidelines
    and if you're a member of the Xbox Insider Program, check out the
    Xbox Insider Program Forums for help with Insider
    Program troubleshooting.

Miss Bijoux, May 10, 2017
  6. TG Scooter
    TG Scooter Guest
    Thanks for the suggestion Bijoux

I have just the 5TB portable hooked up, and it remains plugged in all day. I unhooked my 2TB drive that I use for expanded Xbox data/games and left only the 5TB. But no change

I'll guess I'll stick with smaller drives from direct playing. Also, I've never tried the Plex streaming, I'll look into it.

Thanks again

Scooter

TG Scooter, Nov 1, 2018
  7. Miss Bijoux Win User

Hey there Scooter!

For someone who claims they aren't very tech-savvy, you sure have tried a lot of things and given us a lot of information. My hunch is that your theory is correct - there's just too much going on and the drive times out.

That said, I do have a couple questions. How many of your external HDDs do you have plugged into your console at any given time? If you have more than one, can you unplug the smaller and see if just the 5TB or 8TB works alone? Also, how long do you leave
    your 5/8TB HDDs plugged in for before they stop? Basically what I'm asking here is, does your console maybe just not have enough time to process the contents before you give up or is it giving up long before then?

If your drives simply have too much content that the console can't process, I'm afraid there's not much we can really do troubleshooting wise. It sounds like you have lots of other HDDs though, maybe you can just rotate content there? Or possibly look into
    something like a
    Plex
    server where you can stream the content from your PC directly.

Hopefully that helps a bit. Let us know if you have any other questions. :)

--------------------------------------

Xbox Forums Staff

Be sure to check out the Xbox Forum Guidelines
    and if you're a member of the Xbox Insider Program, check out the
    Xbox Insider Program Forums for help with Insider
    Program troubleshooting.
  8. TG Scooter Win User

Thanks for the suggestion Bijoux

I have just the 5TB portable hooked up, and it remains plugged in all day. I unhooked my 2TB drive that I use for expanded Xbox data/games and left only the 5TB. But no change

I'll guess I'll stick with smaller drives from direct playing. Also, I've never tried the Plex streaming, I'll look into it.

Thanks again

Scooter
  9. TG Scooter Win User

Update: The actual error I get is,

"Can't play. Please try again. If the problem continues, visit [...]

0xc00d11cd (0x80070001)"
  10. Zephr0n Win User

11. KhajiBower34 Win User

Media Player for Xbox Series S is asking me to "Sign In" when opening the app. error code 0xc00d11cd (0x8000000e)

Hello Thomas C, I am an independent advisor and I will be happy to help you today. My name is Khaji

Error code 0xc00d11cd (0x8000000e) in the Xbox Series S Media Player app usually indicates a problem with authorization or access to media files.
    Make sure you're signed in to your Xbox Series S account before opening the Media Player app. If you are not logged in, it may not allow you to access your media files.

Make sure your Xbox account privacy settings allow access to media files. You can do this by going to the privacy settings in the console and making sure that the option to allow other users to see your media is enabled.

Make sure the media files you want to play are compatible with the Xbox Media Player app. The Xbox Series S supports a variety of file formats, but some specific formats may not be supported. See the Xbox documentation for more information on supported file formats.

Also make sure the media files are located in the correct directory on your external hard drive. Media files must be placed in a folder called "Media Player" at the root of the external hard drive for the Media Player application to recognize them correctly.

Try a different storage device If you're still having problems, try connecting another storage device, such as a USB flash drive, to your Xbox Series S and check if the Media Player app can access the files on that device. This will help determine if the problem is related to the external hard drive or the console settings.

Update the Media Player app Make sure the Media Player app is updated to the latest available version. You can do this by going to the Xbox App Store and checking for updates for the app.

Thank you very much for your patience and understanding! If you need anything else, do not hesitate to contact us again.
Thema:

1. Problem using large external hard drive to play video files via Media Player app - Similar Threads - Problem using large

2. Should I be an insider when using the “Report a Problem” app?

in XboX Insiders
    Should I be an insider when using the “Report a Problem” app?: The “Report a Problem” app is available either standalone or a part of the insider bundle. I have found an issue with saving in certain games on Series S, which I have reported as a non insider...
  3. anyone else have a problem with series x not connecting properly when using ethernet...

in XBoX on Consoles
    anyone else have a problem with series x not connecting properly when using ethernet...: ive tried every fix possible, im far from stupid and been using computers/consoles since the 70s, starting with atari 2600 to coding on a zx spectrum 48k when i was 12. there is definitely a...
  4. “ Sorry, there’s a problem with the credentials you’re using to sign in”

in XBoX on Consoles
    “ Sorry, there’s a problem with the credentials you’re using to sign in”: Been playing 360 games on my Xbox series x fine then suddenly today it doesn’t let me connect to live. I followed a bunch of posts on here and it’s just made my situation worse. Now I’ve...
  5. New Xbox setting up problems, 3 days of updating and still not able to use it

in XBoX on Consoles
    New Xbox setting up problems, 3 days of updating and still not able to use it: Hi all. I recently bought an Xbox x and so far it’s took 3 days of updating and in upto 82% it’s hard wired and my internet is really good sky superfast 6bc3853f-8423-4eb0-8cb7-2b3cbc9e4705
  6. Sorry there's a problem with the credentials that youre using to sign in 8015190A

in XBoX Accessibility
    Sorry there's a problem with the credentials that youre using to sign in 8015190A: Hi I'm dealing with an issue with an xbox 360 game I'm playing on the series S (GTA4) It says i need to sign in and then it tells me that there is a problem with the credentials I'm using to sign...
  7. How to fix the "there's a problem with the credentials that you're using to sign in. Go to...

in XBoX Accessibility
    How to fix the "there's a problem with the credentials that you're using to sign in. Go to...: How to fix the "there's a problem with the credentials that you're using to sign in. Go to https://account.live.com to fix the problem. 8015000A" Please someone help me...
  8. How to use X-Mouse with Humankind - Permissions problem

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to use X-Mouse with Humankind - Permissions problem: So here we go again. Every time you try to use a MS game it's a pain start to finish. This is why I will never buy a game through Game Pass but it would sure be nice if I could use GP since I'm...
  9. I'm having problems opening FH5 on PC, I'm using the xbox app and when I try to open the...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I'm having problems opening FH5 on PC, I'm using the xbox app and when I try to open the...: I am having problems opening FH5 on PC, I am using the xbox app and when I try to open the game it closes, I have tried many things but nothing has worked. I just want to play, I'm quite...
  10. I'm having problems opening FH5 on PC, I'm using the xbox app and when I try to open the...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I'm having problems opening FH5 on PC, I'm using the xbox app and when I try to open the...: I am having problems opening FH5 on PC, I am using the xbox app and when I try to open the game it closes, I have tried many things but nothing has worked. I just want to play, I'm quite...