Play To video pausing when Surface or desktop PC enters standby mode?

Discus and support Play To video pausing when Surface or desktop PC enters standby mode? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Not sure if this is the best place for this question, so my apologies in advance if this should be somewhere else. I have mpg/mpeg videos on my... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by NotDJK, Jan 18, 2014.

1. NotDJK
    NotDJK Guest

Not sure if this is the best place for this question, so my apologies in advance if this should be somewhere else.

I have mpg/mpeg videos on my Windows 8.1 desktop PC (upstairs); using my Surface device, I can initiate Play To for those videos to stream wirelessly to my Xbox One (downstairs). The videos always start almost instantly and I have perfect video playback
    with no issues ... as long as I don't let the Surface enter sleep mode. Within 30-60 seconds of the Surface entering sleep mode the video stream pauses. If I don't wake the Surface within a few seconds of that, the connection to the Play To service drops and
    I can no longer control the video. I basically have to start the video over. If I keep the Surface out of entering sleep mode, the video will play perfectly indefinitely.

I tried initiating Play To directly from my PC but something similar happens where the video pauses (in the amount of time it takes for my PC to enter sleep mode). However, the video then tries to start up and then sort of just keeps stuttering, never quite
    clearing up.

Is this expected behavior? Does the Play To service really not know how to handle sleep mode for devices using it?

I guess I could just disable sleep mode whenever I want to watch a video in this fashion, but that just seems like it shouldn't be necessary.

Thank you in advance for your help!

:)

NotDJK, Jan 18, 2014
  2. Lee_:-)
    Lee_:-) Guest
    Cannot see movie on Desktop 8.1 that was rented on my Surface RT 8.1 xbox video

Hi,

I rented a film on my Surface RT 8.1 expecting to see it on my desktop pc xbox video app (Windows 8.1). But it's been over a day now and I was expecting it to sync because I use the same account.

Am I incorrect on expecting this?

I can see movies on my Surface that were rented from my Desktop!! So I just assumed it would work?

Thanks

Lee

Lee_:-), Jan 18, 2014
  3. Screen freeze every 2 seconds with 2d message on cable box

@bionicgruen, were you having these symptoms immediately or did they only surface when the Xbox has to wake up from standby or instant on?

TheCMurdaCNasty, Jan 18, 2014
  4. SwordofWhedon Win User

when i turn on my ups in xbox series x the fans starts moving for some seconds but my xbox power is still off

Because the Xbox turns on enough to enter standby mode. When you kill the UPS you kill the power to the device so it has to do that
  5. Ishan8123 Win User

Brand new Xbox One update question.

No, it is not possible to pause a system update after you have accepted it, although you could decline at the start and choose to play offline instead.

Yes, if your Xbox is set to instant on mode, it will continue to download and install updates even if it is off(Standby)
  6. Scott_1431 Win User

video goes dark every 10 minutes while watching movies

I've had a similar issue occur. On both HBOgo and Netflix apps (have not tried Amazon Video or Plex yet). It started yesterday. The video will play for approx. 10 minutes and then the screen will dim. It's like the Xbox enters idle mode and doesn't know
    a video is playing.

Coincidentally my Xbox media remote is not functioning right as of yesterday. The ABXY and Xboc buttons work, but not the play/pause/FF/REW commands.
  7. Mister Getafix Win User

My game closed when in standby mode

Heya!

As DominumStige mentioned when in energy saving mode the console only stays in standby for 60 mins then console completely shuts off in order to "save power"

To allow the console to enter standby for extended periods of time and have this feature function you would need to set the console to

Instant on mode

Keep in mind that power surges or needed updates can still cause the console to power off in standby mode and thus we would still recommend saving your game progress when you stop playing.

Post back if you have any follow up questions about changing that setting over!
  8. Mister Getafix Win User

My game closed when in standby mode

Heya!

As DominumStige mentioned when in energy saving mode the console only stays in standby for 60 mins then console completely shuts off in order to "save power"

To allow the console to enter standby for extended periods of time and have this feature function you would need to set the console to

Instant on mode

Keep in mind that power surges or needed updates can still cause the console to power off in standby mode and thus we would still recommend saving your game progress when you stop playing.

Post back if you have any follow up questions about changing that setting over!
Thema:

1. Play To video pausing when Surface or desktop PC enters standby mode? - Similar Threads - Play video pausing

2. The youtube app on my xbox series s keep taking me out the app every time i play a video

in XBoX on Windows
    The youtube app on my xbox series s keep taking me out the app every time i play a video: Every time i open the YouTube app on my xbox series s it keeps crashing every time i try to play a video f8ad5e5e-cd5e-49ab-94d6-0aaa2dd1ee8b
  3. Why does my youtube app keep glitching when playing videos but not commercials?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my youtube app keep glitching when playing videos but not commercials?: My youtube keeps freezing but all my other apps and games are running just fine. I've cleared the saved date. There are no updates. And there are no updates needed for my Xbox....
  4. Will my Microsoft movie purchases also be available to play on Prime Video and/or Apple TV...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Will my Microsoft movie purchases also be available to play on Prime Video and/or Apple TV...: Will my Microsoft movie purchases also be available to play on Prime Video and/or Apple TV if those services have the same movie available to buy? I keep seeing post regarding Movies Anywhere and...
  5. audio but no video with remote play on pc

in XboX Insiders
    audio but no video with remote play on pc: been trying to use remote play on my laptop from my series s but all i get is the audio from my game with no video. Tried with my phone and worked perfectly. I've tried closing and reopening,...
  6. TrueArchievment Video play Problem

in XboX Insiders
    TrueArchievment Video play Problem: Always when i need help and go with the Link to True Archivment all the videos dosnt run. Does anyone have the same Problem? submitted by /u/ElGranRabo [link] [comments]
  7. Is there a way to play backup videos, from the Movies and TV app, on an Xbox Series X?

in XBoX on Windows
    Is there a way to play backup videos, from the Movies and TV app, on an Xbox Series X?: Hello, so am running into an issue and I was wondering if anyone knows of a fix. So I bought a TV series on the Movies & TV app, and it works correctly while streaming it on either my PC or Xbox...
  8. The YouTube app on my Series X won't allow certain videos to play. The screen goes black...

in XBoX on Consoles
    The YouTube app on my Series X won't allow certain videos to play. The screen goes black...: The YouTube app on my Series X won't allow certain videos to play. The screen goes black and nothing happens. I can play these videos on my phone, TV and tablet with no problem. I do NOT have...
  9. Videos stuttering on browsers when playing games

in XBoX on Consoles
    Videos stuttering on browsers when playing games: I have just recently change my motherboard, CPU GPU and RAM and now when i am playing a game on my first monitor, this can be any game even one that doesn't use up much performance, any videos on...
  10. Black screen trying to play HDR videos on YouTube.

in XboX Insiders
    Black screen trying to play HDR videos on YouTube.: Today 31/12/2023 I have noticed that HDR content on YouTube will not work for me at all. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app I've tried the beta app I've even hard restarted it to...