Ping & Speeds Off on Xbox Series X

Discus and support Ping & Speeds Off on Xbox Series X in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I'm trying to play multiplayer on MCC, and its telling me my ping to too high. When I test my connection using the "Test network speed & statistics" on... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by tehtuna, Apr 14, 2024.

1. tehtuna
    tehtuna Guest

I'm trying to play multiplayer on MCC, and its telling me my ping to too high. When I test my connection using the "Test network speed & statistics" on Xbox settings, it's giving me 45-55ms ping (which is high) and download speeds of 120-140Mbs (which is slow for my connection). When I use the Xbox Edge browser and go to speedtest.net (and other speed tests) and run the same test, I get 10-14ms ping and download speeds around 380mbps. This matches what it should be. What gives?

The only thing I can think of is Xbox is connecting me to a server that is physically very far away from me for some reason. How would I fix that?

Notes:

• I've tried different DNS settings. (Cloudflare, Google, etc.)
    • I'm on wired connection.
    • I've checked my location settings and they are correct.
    • I've checked my router/firewall to see if it's blocking anything, and it's not. (I haven't tried directly connecting to the modem.)
    • I'm not in an area that would be physically far away from Xbox servers.

:)

tehtuna, Apr 14, 2024
  2. Nursemorph Win User

Latency

I would agree with what Farscape said regarding the Xbox ping display...on both my PC and my Xboxes (Series X and One X(, it reports my ping as around 180...yet, checking with speed tests via browser shows it is less than 50.
  3. [Farscape] Win User

USB adapter+ssd drive+xbox's usb 3.0 port = confirm speeds

but microsoft won't allow xbox series s/x games to run off external no matter what speeds. (they gotta make dollars from proprietary kit)
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox series X|S alternative high speed storage expansion

Hi,

No, sorry it won't work. The USB ports on the Series X|S are USB 3.1 which have a maximum speed of 500MB/s. This means, no matter what drive you buy, no matter what speed it's rated at, you're stuck at the max speed of the USB port.

The only drives that can be used for Series X|S games are either the internal or the storage expansion card.

I have the Expansion card for my Series X. I also have an external 2TB USB SSD in an enclosure. I can only use the external SSD for Xbox One games. They do load a lot faster than a mechanical hard drive, but I can't play my Series X games off it.
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Only getting half my download speed and bad ping through ethernet (xbox one)

Hi,

Ping and download speeds aren't necessarily related. Ping is the time it takes for data to be sent and returned back to your console or PC measured in milliseconds.

When you do a speed test on Xbox Live, the console checks the nearest Microsoft server. When you do a speed test on a PC you will be connected to the nearest server that can do the test. The server for the Xbox could be several hundred miles away from your
    location, while the speed test on your PC could be pinging a server only a few miles away.

What I'm trying to say is, you shouldn't take a speed test result from the console as your actual ping, it will be way off. In any case a ping of 40-50ms is actually a great ping for online gaming.

Most games are run from dedicated servers now. To get 0 ping, you would literally have to plugged directly into the gaming server.
  6. ngocphi Win User

why does my xbox one x say my ssd is too slow

It should br noted the speed requirements is jlnot just limited go the port

Thr read ANd write speeds count not all hdds and ssd are created equal

And sometimes it's the cable

And what does it say on the back of your console you sure its a xbox one x or a series x

If it's a series x (there is no ONE in the series name) then no hdd will be fast enough
Thema:

1. Ping & Speeds Off on Xbox Series X - Similar Threads - Ping Speeds Off

2. My xbox one x is consistently getting 160ms ping but 0% packet loss and 100mb/s speed over...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox one x is consistently getting 160ms ping but 0% packet loss and 100mb/s speed over...: Every time I do that detailed network statistics, I get 155ms to 165ms of latency but 0% packet loss on both wifi as well as ethernet connection. Although all of my other devices get ping of...
  3. Ping on xbox speed test 101ms, router speed test 5 ms

in XBoX on Consoles
    Ping on xbox speed test 101ms, router speed test 5 ms: I have tried everything, wired, wireless, rebooting xbox, rebooting router, im at a loss. Nighthawk app really sucks, it doesnt give the option to basicly do anything helpful. I used to have...
  4. Xbox X Upload speed slow and bad ping

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox X Upload speed slow and bad ping: Hi all, I have a Xbox Series X and having issues with remote play due to the following network connection status Download: 1015.9 Mbps Upload: 7.68 Mbps (can't get it over 8) Pocket loss: 0%...
  5. Really bad Download speed and ping

in XboX Networking Hardware
    Really bad Download speed and ping: Really bad Download speed and ping (only on xbox) I thought this was a problem with my internet. I got new modem/routers (3) and then finally was told my my internet to get their router/modem....
  6. Only getting half my download speed and bad ping through ethernet (xbox one)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Only getting half my download speed and bad ping through ethernet (xbox one): So recently i've only been getting half my download speed and 40+ms ping when doing the speed test on xbox which is really effecting my gameplay. When i do a speed test on my PC which is run...
  7. : Very inconsistent ping/download speed

: Very inconsistent ping/download speed: : Very inconsistent ping/download speed My ping on my xbox is very, very inconsistent. On almost everyday it is very high, around 400 or so with bad download speeds. On very rare occasions it is...
  8. Good Ping but bad download speed

in XBoX on Consoles
    Good Ping but bad download speed: I can play games fine with my regular ping, but recently my download speed slowed down a lot. When ever I try to update/ download a game, the speed goes to 1 Mb. We have multiple xboxs, and the...
  9. : Upload speed issue and high ping

: Upload speed issue and high ping: : Upload speed issue and high ping In a further test with the third xbox in the house, this one is an Xbox one (not an xbox one x). This is wired to an access point in a wifi mesh network (Netgear...
  10. Ping and download speed

in XBoX on Consoles
    Ping and download speed: I must be doing something wrong or not understanding. I upgraded my internet to 500Mbps and have a Nighthawk X10 R9000 router. The Xbox One console is perhaps 50-75 feet away from the router. When...