PC Game Pass can't install or play games for past week

Discus and support PC Game Pass can't install or play games for past week in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hi. For the last week, my PC Game Pass app refuses to install or play anything. When I try to install, it just says something went wrong immediately... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Evolved Messiah, Mar 24, 2023.

1. PC Game Pass can't install or play games for past week

Hi. For the last week, my PC Game Pass app refuses to install or play anything. When I try to install, it just says something went wrong immediately and won't download. I had a couple of games downloaded, and when I would try and launch them, I'd get an error. I have done EVERYTHING I could to fix this that I've read about. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Xbox, the store, gaming services, game bar, no luck. I've run multiple power shell commands that have worked for others, and no dice there. I'm getting really frustrated. I'm subbed to Ultimate for another year and a half, but I can't play anything. Turning off anti-virus didn't do anything, either. Cloud gaming works just fine, oddly enough.

I left all preview builds on Xbox Insider. Still didn't fix it. I've reset and repaired every app you can think of.

Please, someone, help me with this. I just want to play the games I paid for. I love Game Pass, but this is absurd. I'm running Windows 10, fully updated. Ryzen 5800X, RTX 3070.

Thanks to anyone who tries to help. Appreciated very much.

:)

Evolved Messiah, Mar 24, 2023
  2. Kathy A. Win User

Hello Evolved Messiah,

Thanks for your reply.

We appreciate the details you have shared with us.

It seems like your issue with the Xbox app could be related to this support article: Error 0x87e00196 occurs when you try to manage a game on Windows | Xbox Support. Which means you may try following the steps on the support article. Have you already tried this? If yes, how did it went?

Do you have issues with the Microsoft Store too? If you cannot install games and apps on the store, please try the following:

1. Please go to Settings > Apps > Apps & features > Select the app you want to fix. Select the Advanced options link under the name of the Microsoft Store. On the page that opens, select Repair if it's available. If it isn't available, select Reset. Launch Xbox app and see if issue persist with installation.
    2. Clear the store cache by typing “wsreset” in the Windows search bar. Run this as admin and wait for the screen to close and open the store automatically. Launch Xbox app and see if issue persist with installation.
    3. Run system scans - Run a full system scan. This will check and restore corrupted system files.
      • In Windows search bar, search for Command Prompt and Run as Administrator.
      • Copy the command below one line at a time and paste it on Command Prompt:

[table][tr]DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealthDISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealthDISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealthSFC /scannow[/tr][/table]
    4. Launch Xbox app and see if issue persist with installation.
    5. Uninstall Microsoft Store

Run Windows PowerShell as Administrator.

At the PowerShell, copy-paste the command below then hit the Enter.

Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* | Remove-AppxPackage

6. Reinstall Microsoft Store

Run Windows PowerShell as Administrator.

At the PowerShell, copy-paste the command below then hit the Enter.

Get-AppXPackage *WindowsStore* -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

We appreciate your patience, and we will wait for your update.

Regards,

3. Evolved Messiah Win User

Hello ,

Welcome to Xbox Community Forum. Thank you for sharing your concern with us today and we hope that all is well.

Based on your description, you are unable to get any Xbox games to launch. We appreciate you have shared all of the troubleshooting you have performed. Let us check on this together so you will get back to gaming.

Thanks for letting us know that you are part of Xbox Insider, we appreciate the contribution of Xbox Insider to the Xbox Community as they are the first to be exposed to the services and features that needs improvement. Although Xbox Insiders main support is the Team Xbox for submitting feedback to new features or issue, they encounter. It seems like what happen here is that even you are no longer part of Xbox Insider the issue persists. Troubleshooting that we may perform or suggest in here may be simple and known to you already. To assist you with the general update, let us get started with the versions of the Xbox app, Gaming Services and Xbox Game Bar:

2303.1000.53.0 (Xbox app)

10.75.13001.0 (Gaming Services)

5.823.1271.0 (Xbox Game Bar)

To have a better understanding, we would like to further isolate your concern.

1. You have mentioned on the description that you are seeing an error when launching games, may we ask for a screenshot of the error message? Please conceal any personal information.
    2. Do you mind providing a list of games that were having issues launching?
    3. Do you mind testing if you can install a game from Microsoft Store and see if it launches with no issue? Please post a screenshot of the error message and conceal any personal information.
    4. Do you mind testing if you can install a new game from Xbox app and see if it launches with no issue? Please post a screenshot of the error message and conceal any personal information.

So far, from the details you provided, you can try the following steps and let us know the result. You can just skip those you have done already.

On this link, please check under Problems launching a game from Xbox app for the troubleshooting steps: Troubleshoot issues with the Xbox App for Windows.

Let us know the result and we will get back to you as soon as we can. We may recommend further troubleshooting steps once we have received your answers to the above questions.

Sincerely,

Kathy A.

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
    1. Not just launching games, installing them. I can't access it anymore because I uninstalled everything, but I think the error was 0x80004005, but that could be wrong.

2. All games. Even ones I own. Nothing will launch or install.

3. The error I get when I try to install from the store is 0X87E00196. When I try from the Xbox app, it just says something went wrong with no code.

4. As I've mentioned, I can't install from the Xbox app, no matter what I do.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled, tried powershell commands, uninstalled Windows updates (it won't let me uninstall the one from 3/18, which is what I suspect started all this). I'm losing my mind and am close to asking for a refund on the time I have remaining on my subscription. I haven't been able to play for a week now! I do appreciate your help.
  4. Theresa Lewis1 Win User

I appear to have the same exact symptoms all of a sudden. I have tried everything you have discussed on this thread still nothing.
  5. Evolved Messiah Win User

I did everything and got no results. For some reason, it started working yesterday. I have no idea what it could have been that fixed it, considering nothing worked just a few hours earlier and I had done nothing else to try and make it work. So it's fixed for now I guess, but I'm super nervous to let Windows update now.
  6. Kathy A. Win User

Hello Evolved Messiah,

Welcome to Xbox Community Forum. Thank you for sharing your concern with us today and we hope that all is well.

Based on your description, you are unable to get any Xbox games to launch. We appreciate you have shared all of the troubleshooting you have performed. Let us check on this together so you will get back to gaming.

Thanks for letting us know that you are part of Xbox Insider, we appreciate the contribution of Xbox Insider to the Xbox Community as they are the first to be exposed to the services and features that needs improvement. Although Xbox Insiders main support is the Team Xbox for submitting feedback to new features or issue, they encounter. It seems like what happen here is that even you are no longer part of Xbox Insider the issue persists. Troubleshooting that we may perform or suggest in here may be simple and known to you already. To assist you with the general update, let us get started with the versions of the Xbox app, Gaming Services and Xbox Game Bar:

2303.1000.53.0 (Xbox app)

10.75.13001.0 (Gaming Services)

5.823.1271.0 (Xbox Game Bar)

To have a better understanding, we would like to further isolate your concern.

1. You have mentioned on the description that you are seeing an error when launching games, may we ask for a screenshot of the error message? Please conceal any personal information.
    2. Do you mind providing a list of games that were having issues launching?
    3. Do you mind testing if you can install a game from Microsoft Store and see if it launches with no issue? Please post a screenshot of the error message and conceal any personal information.
    4. Do you mind testing if you can install a new game from Xbox app and see if it launches with no issue? Please post a screenshot of the error message and conceal any personal information.

So far, from the details you provided, you can try the following steps and let us know the result. You can just skip those you have done already.

On this link, please check under Problems launching a game from Xbox app for the troubleshooting steps: Troubleshoot issues with the Xbox App for Windows.

Let us know the result and we will get back to you as soon as we can. We may recommend further troubleshooting steps once we have received your answers to the above questions.

Sincerely,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
Thema:

1. PC Game Pass can't install or play games for past week - Similar Threads - Game Pass can't

2. Have Game Pass Console, but can't play online games I've purchased.

in XBoX on Windows
    Have Game Pass Console, but can't play online games I've purchased.: I downgraded from Game Pass Ultimate to Game Pass Console, and now xbox won't let me play games I purchased on- line. Like Call of Duty or Dead by Daylight. It keeps directing me to get GamePass...
  3. Can't play online even with game pass

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't play online even with game pass: I have a game pass console subscription but whenever I try to join an online game, a screen prompting me to buy game pass ultimate comes up and won't allow me to continue. I already have a game...
  4. can't play any games in game pass signed in tried everything only option I can think is...

in XBoX on Consoles
    can't play any games in game pass signed in tried everything only option I can think is...: Change my phone and password now can't play any games in game pass signed in tried everything only option I can think is cancel subscription and start all over. Very frustrating...
  5. Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...: I am paying for Game Pass, but can't install large games because the 18TB Seagate Exos x18 7200RPM HDD is for some reason disliked by Microsoft, Xbox, or Game Pass. I purchased such a huge drive...
  6. Can't acess xbox game pass ultimate

in XboX Insiders
    Can't acess xbox game pass ultimate: (I use pc) Even though i did purchase xbox game pass ultimate, i can't acess game pass ultimate content, neither can i use cloud gaming, i have no clue whats happening at all, when i try to use...
  7. Can't redeem an Xbox Game Pass Core Gift Card

in XBoX on Windows
    Can't redeem an Xbox Game Pass Core Gift Card: I tried redeeming a game pass core 1 month gift card and I can't redeem it. It says that I'm one step closer and to use any payment method for auto renewal. I always use the account balance for it...
  8. Why can't I play forza horizon 5 without buying game Pass when I owned it before it was...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why can't I play forza horizon 5 without buying game Pass when I owned it before it was...: Ever since I redownloaded it I have been unable to play online and wants me to buy game pass when I try to go online. How do I solve this without spending money? 9bac4131-b861-4132-9bd3-d1e363dc76a6
  9. Can't renew my Xbox Game Pass subscription

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't renew my Xbox Game Pass subscription: I tried so many times to renew my subscription but got this message Something happened on our end. Wait 24 hours and try again Please help . 663dcfb1-7a5f-4c3c-b2c0-524cc4a492d3
  10. Can't launch the XBOX app on my PC, even if i have the game pass

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can't launch the XBOX app on my PC, even if i have the game pass: It's been three days since i cant even launch the app. It stays on the white xbox logo and then after a while deseppear. When i go to the website or the windows store it does nothing. It even...