Paddles, trackballs, and spinners for Atari games on Xbox

Discus and support Paddles, trackballs, and spinners for Atari games on Xbox in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have a question about Xbox alternate controls. The one game that would be played more except for the fact that modern controls ruins it is Atari... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by TripleTopper321, Jun 30, 2023.

1. Paddles, trackballs, and spinners for Atari games on Xbox

I have a question about Xbox alternate controls. The one game that would be played more except for the fact that modern controls ruins it is Atari Flashback.

The 2600 paddle games do not work well with the analog stick because you're fighting centering resistance when it snaps back to the center and that goes against the idea of the philosophy of the 2600 panel. Similar issues with the 5200 joystick which is a non-centering joystick and the video games on the 5200 take advantage of the fact that it's not centering.

Also a trackball and a spinner would be nice.

I bet you the Atari games will be played more if there was such a thing as an Xbox authorized 2600 to Xbox adapter or 5200 to Xbox adapter to use real 2600 and 5200 equipment.

And the good news is Atari can Mass produce them again because they'll simultaneously be for the Retro Market on real, back in the day 2600s and 5200s, but it would also work on USB for Xbox.

Another Atari classic modern classic. Tempest 4000 will not play right with the current controls it just doesn't feel right without an unlimited radius spinner.

Some of these Atari games are almost totally dependent on the controllers being accurate. And the fact that Atari and Xbox could come up with a way to re-release them is sickening.

:)

TripleTopper321, Jun 30, 2023
  2. TripleTopper321 Win User

Hello the Box wouldn't let me post a new topic that is tangential to this discussion but since then I was thinking hey maybe the Xbox adaptive controller can accept paddles and trackballs and spinners if all you have to do is convert it to USB and I've heard there's some adapters that let you convert paddles and spinners and Trek balls from Atari 9 pin standard to USB. I do have such controllers so maybe I should test to see if they work with the Xbox Adaptive.

If so then the Atari adapter could be a 9-pin adapter that plugs into USB that would act as a mini adaptive control for just the left stick and a couple buttons so that you can actually play Atari classics the way they're meant to be played with a real Atari 2600 paddle or trackball or spinner.

Any idea where I could find a trackball spinner or paddle adapter for 2600 controllers, preferably ones that work with the Xbox One or the Adaptive controller?
  3. TripleTopper321 Win User

1. A track ball and a mouse aren't the same. The difference is momentum.

2. I don't know if Atari tried releasing paddles, trackballs and spinners for the Xbox One.

I'm not even sure that the modern owners of Atari are aware that lots of these classics do not translate well to a standard modern controller.

Even saying the word video game paddle, if you don't specify the word Atari, has a different meaning in today's gaming environment.

It's that lack of centering resistance that makes an Atari paddle, trackball, and spinner work.

I understand the reluctance of releasing a 2600 amd 5200 adapter for modern USB consoles. If they were Universal adapters then would Microsoft Nintendo or Sony get the licensing rights? Plus if they're used on a VCS 800, Atari would have the system rights of those adapters too. But if the adapters are not Universal and the gameplay is not cross system then you have to buy an adapter for each system you want to retrofit.
  4. SwordofWhedon Win User

it doesn't work that way, and the game wouldn't know what to do with paddle, track ball, or spinner input because the emulator hasn't been programmed to look for it or use it
  5. SwordofWhedon Win User

You would have to ask but Atari to release such a thing. You could ask them to add mouse compatibility to it so that you could use a track ball, but all of this is completely in Atari's camp
  6. Fish Head Soup Win User

a 26 year old playing minecraft?!?

Yeah but I think the original Pong beats the Atari 2600........I remember getting it from Sears or Grants here in the bay area. One box with 2 paddles and you hooked it up to the VHF/UHF (remember those antennas? LOL!) and paddled a small white bar back
    and forth on the black and white TV..........man.......those were the days. Before that it was playin with sticks and rocks. When we finally got the Atari, back then we were thinkin it will never get better than this!
Thema:

1. Paddles, trackballs, and spinners for Atari games on Xbox - Similar Threads - Paddles trackballs spinners

2. Why are my elite series 2 paddles not responding when the button?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why are my elite series 2 paddles not responding when the button?: when the button is pressed, everything is lined up right and making the noise when it's clicked but not actually having any results when pressed. 2a6f500c-a0a2-459a-afa2-df081a16afb6
  3. Elite Series 2 P1 and P2 paddles don’t work when pressed at the same time

in XBoX on Consoles
    Elite Series 2 P1 and P2 paddles don’t work when pressed at the same time: I have P1 bound to right stick click and P2 bound to A so I can slide hop better in TF2, and I noticed while I was playing that my A button wasn’t working correctly. So I troubleshot a bit, tried...
  4. Elite Controller Paddles stop working

in XBoX on Consoles
    Elite Controller Paddles stop working: On my Elite Xbox controller the paddles have randomly stopped working. They used to work just fine no issues but all of a sudden the A stopped working and then all of them stopped. I’ve turned off...
  5. Im having problems with my xbox elite core controller. My bottom left paddle button when i...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Im having problems with my xbox elite core controller. My bottom left paddle button when i...: Is there any way to resolve this issue? b9dd45c2-10df-4372-b52d-05338aeaeb89
  6. Does the Xbox elite series 2 controller come with the paddles as stock if I’m purchasing...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Does the Xbox elite series 2 controller come with the paddles as stock if I’m purchasing...: Hello, I’m looking to purchase a custom controller from design labs, and I was looking at the elite series 2 controller, and it asks if I’d like to purchase paddles for an extra £21 on top of the...
  7. My Xbox elite controller paddles fall off on the right paddles

in XBoX on Windows
    My Xbox elite controller paddles fall off on the right paddles: My elite controller paddles fall off/wiggly when I put them on in the right side . 8d58380d-1f62-4b50-8fe9-e79ad39673e8
  8. How can you help me get my paddles to work again

in XBoX on Consoles
    How can you help me get my paddles to work again: My paddles don’t work on my controller and I’ve tried everything to make them work and nothing happens a6d343f6-3da0-40cb-8956-df4aae50dfb6
  9. Xbox Elite Controller Paddle Magnets

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Controller Paddle Magnets: The magnets always seem to come loose after a few months causing miss-inputs. This seems to be a very common problem that I have had on all of me Elite and Elite Series 2 controllers. Is there a...
  10. From Xbox Design Lab I got the Xbox elite series 2 controller and it said that the paddles...

in XBoX on Windows
    From Xbox Design Lab I got the Xbox elite series 2 controller and it said that the paddles...: Paddles for Xbox elite series 2 from design lab ea2976b5-08ec-49a9-8180-86137aa7be05