Original Xbox 360 Won't Read Specific Disks that Xbox 360 Slim can read

Discus and support Original Xbox 360 Won't Read Specific Disks that Xbox 360 Slim can read in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; So allow me to go into detail about this, before someone throws the "Clean Your Disk Tray", "Clean Your Disks," ect. My Original Xbox 360, I bought... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Subsquentual, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Subsquentual
    Subsquentual Guest

So allow me to go into detail about this, before someone throws the "Clean Your Disk Tray", "Clean Your Disks," ect.

My Original Xbox 360, I bought from Gamestop, it's probably been about 2 years now, and I've treated it like sacred ground. I'm not a rich individual, so when I get something like an xbox, I treat it with the most respect I am able to.

It decides that it will read only specific disks, no problem. Games such as original Bioshock, Eragon, Naruto Rise of a Ninja, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, and such load up with little to no problem at all, and I won't get any problems from those disks. Some
    of them are even really scratched up because they were previously used, and the fact that I live with 5 and 6 year-olds that can't even keep track of their shoes, let alone take care of a game disk.

So when I put in a game that is brand new or has no scratches at all, it could take 30 minutes to 2-3 hours before it will finally read the game. I will get stuck with "Open Tray" "Unrecognized Disk" "Play DVD" (<- What the crap?) and the worst, It will
    say "Play Game" go as if it was, and then before the logo can pop up, a window appears, "The game is unreadable."

Then I take those games, specific ones like, Riddick **** on Dark Athena (With Butcher Bay Included), Skyrim, Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon Age II, and now the brand new Dragon Age Inquisition, and put them on my brother-in-law's Xbox 360 Slim, and they will
    load up first try absolutely no problem at all.

I am very angry, and the main reason of my anger, is this.

I just got Dragon Age Inquisition. I've been wanting it for a long time now, practically, since it came out. So I finally get a copy. Only to find out that it needs to be installed on a hard drive with 7.1-9 Gigabytes of space. Now, here's something else.
    The Slim, which the game reads on no problem, only has the 4 Gigabyte built in hard drive. So it can't fit on there. So I clear some space on my flash drive that I use as a back-up hard drive, only to find out, the game CANNOT be installed on a flash drive.

The hard drive on my ORIGINAL XBOX 360, that WON'T READ THE DISK has 9.7 Gigabytes worth of space. But you can't put an original xbox 360 external hard drive on the xbox 360 slim.

So what I want, is a solution that will make my original xbox 360 read the Dragon Age Inquisition disks so that I can install the game and play it.

I've blown air into the xbox, keep it cool, and kept it out of small spaces. If I put another game into it, like the ones mentioned above, it will load them up practically first try, like it should. The games that I actually WANT to play is the ones it won't
    read. I know the problem isn't with the disks, or else they wouldn't load on the slim so perfectly, and it can't be the laser since the other games load perfectly on it.

:)

Subsquentual, Jul 15, 2015
  2. bulettepain
    bulettepain Guest
    xbox won't play disk

my XBOX 360 slim won't read the disk. that happening after my last update.

bulettepain, Jul 15, 2015
  3. Nova345
    Nova345 Guest
    Xbox One Issue

So, my original Xbox One won't read my Xbox 360 disks. The problem isn't the disk reader, the disk reader will read and download my Xbox One games and allow me to play them. It just won't read or do anything with my Xbox 360 disks. It doesn't even give
    me an error message when I put the disk in. It doesn't do anything at all. For example, I tried to put my Halo Reach disk in my Xbox One and nothing happened. It didn't download the game or anything. It did the same with Borderlands 2, which is also backwards
    compatible. The disks were clean as well and worked perfectly fine on my Xbox 360 but they didn't work on my Xbox One. I wanted to know if anyone else had this issue and could help me out.

Nova345, Jul 15, 2015
  4. Original Xbox 360 Won't Read Specific Disks that Xbox 360 Slim can read

Hi there, a few things, installing games to the console is highly recommend due to helping overall performance, it can even help with the drive not reading the disc. So I would suggest formatting a USB and using that as your storage device if you can't afford
    another hard drive or external hard drive:
    support.xbox.com/.../usb-flash-drive-faq

Though with the original Xbox 360's their disc drive does fail and I mean like nearly every time. I'm like you and treat my electronics products extremely well, but my original 360 still got the disc drive error eventually and needed to be replaced, the
    drive reading games as dvd's or nothing at all is really the first signs.

DigitalAssassin, Jul 15, 2015
  5. Subsquentual
    Subsquentual Guest
    I have a few games installed onto separate hard drives, but I don't have the money to keep buying Hard drives, and All of the games I already have on there are on disks, which require me to have the disk in and have the console read it, which really sucks.

Heck, earlier I blew out the disk tray again with some compressed air, hoping it may do some good, and the stupid nozzle flies off the bottle and straight into the xbox. And then of course it tries shutting the tray on it, so I had to hold it open and pry
    out the nozzle with a pair of pliers. I don't know what that could have done, but I'm not using compressed air cans again.

6. I did suggest a USB which is much cheaper then a new hard drive, I believe you could also buy a 2tb external hard drive and you'd probably never need another storage device again for the 360 which in turn could be the cheaper option in the long run.

Though why I suggested doing it to the USB is it should be a fast way of determining if installing the game will allow it to run on the original Xbox 360 without having to delete other data.

The disc is needed to start the game, but the disc tray should stop spinning and will read the data directly from the storage device. It will only register the disc is in the tray, not actually run the game from it which can eliminate disc drive issues.

One last thing, I never use compressed air to clean electronic products and don't recommend it either as you've found out the hard way.

7. Subsquentual
    Subsquentual Guest
    Yeah, I do prefer using flash drives, and I do plan on using them in the future, but Dragon Age Inquisition requires a hard drive. The game will not install if you select a flash drive for it to install on. That is the first time I've encountered that, and
    I understand why they made it like that, so people wouldn't spread the game on for free. I understand the reason, but find it frustrating because I planned on installing it on the flashdrive on the my brother-in-law's xbox, since it could read the game, and
    then put the flashdrive on my xbox because I just prefer my own.

But life said nope and slapped me in the face as hard as it could with the nearest brick it could find.

8. Original Xbox 360 Won't Read Specific Disks that Xbox 360 Slim can read

You're right, they won't let you install that particular game on the USB, it has nothing to do with copyright though as every installed game still needs the disc to run so you could install it as much as you wanted, but it won't work without the disc.

As my last suggestions I would say if you do have an official hard drive for the Xbox, maybe delete a game off there that will install to a USB, because you most certainly can install games to USB's it's just DA:I that doesn't let you do it and hopefully
    that way you can get it running.

If not, I would seriously take the game back and say it wasn't clear you would need a hard drive to play it.

9. Subsquentual
    Subsquentual Guest
    I plan on taking the disks back tomorrow, cleaning them, get a hard drive for the slim, just to be safe, and try again. I would install it on his xbox, but his has the internal memory unit that is only 4 gigs, which sucks.

Thanks for the help. I'll save up some money and get a new xbox when I get the chance. And an extra hard drive and a flashdrive for any future picky games like DA:I

10. As I understand, all of the consoles have internal storage as well as there hard drives, so you should just be able to add the hard drive to the units that don't originally come with it. That's just for your information.

I was trying to help you get it working on that original Xbox, haha, I wasn't sure the slim was an option!

Anyway, don't mention it! I hope you eventually get to play it because it really is an awesome game!

11. Subsquentual
    Subsquentual Guest
    When I buff the disks, it may or may not work on the original xbox. When I recieved Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, it loaded perfectly on the slim and not on mine till I got it buffed at the store, so maybe I just have to buff it. Still going to get the
    slim hard drive though in case the buff doesn't work. That's what I meant Original Xbox 360 Won't Read Specific Disks that Xbox 360 Slim can read :p

And yeah, I hope I do too. Thanks for the help.

Subsquentual, Oct 31, 2018
  12. Subsquentual Win User

When I buff the disks, it may or may not work on the original xbox. When I recieved Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, it loaded perfectly on the slim and not on mine till I got it buffed at the store, so maybe I just have to buff it. Still going to get the
    slim hard drive though in case the buff doesn't work. That's what I meant :p

And yeah, I hope I do too. Thanks for the help.
  13. DigitalAssassin Win User

As I understand, all of the consoles have internal storage as well as there hard drives, so you should just be able to add the hard drive to the units that don't originally come with it. That's just for your information.

I was trying to help you get it working on that original Xbox, haha, I wasn't sure the slim was an option!

Anyway, don't mention it! I hope you eventually get to play it because it really is an awesome game!
  14. DigitalAssassin Win User

I did suggest a USB which is much cheaper then a new hard drive, I believe you could also buy a 2tb external hard drive and you'd probably never need another storage device again for the 360 which in turn could be the cheaper option in the long run.

Though why I suggested doing it to the USB is it should be a fast way of determining if installing the game will allow it to run on the original Xbox 360 without having to delete other data.

The disc is needed to start the game, but the disc tray should stop spinning and will read the data directly from the storage device. It will only register the disc is in the tray, not actually run the game from it which can eliminate disc drive issues.

One last thing, I never use compressed air to clean electronic products and don't recommend it either as you've found out the hard way.
  15. Subsquentual Win User

I have a few games installed onto separate hard drives, but I don't have the money to keep buying Hard drives, and All of the games I already have on there are on disks, which require me to have the disk in and have the console read it, which really sucks.

Heck, earlier I blew out the disk tray again with some compressed air, hoping it may do some good, and the stupid nozzle flies off the bottle and straight into the xbox. And then of course it tries shutting the tray on it, so I had to hold it open and pry
    out the nozzle with a pair of pliers. I don't know what that could have done, but I'm not using compressed air cans again.
  16. DigitalAssassin Win User

Hi there, a few things, installing games to the console is highly recommend due to helping overall performance, it can even help with the drive not reading the disc. So I would suggest formatting a USB and using that as your storage device if you can't afford
    another hard drive or external hard drive:
    support.xbox.com/.../usb-flash-drive-faq

Though with the original Xbox 360's their disc drive does fail and I mean like nearly every time. I'm like you and treat my electronics products extremely well, but my original 360 still got the disc drive error eventually and needed to be replaced, the
    drive reading games as dvd's or nothing at all is really the first signs.
Thema:

1. Original Xbox 360 Won't Read Specific Disks that Xbox 360 Slim can read - Similar Threads - Original 360 Won't

2. Start making the original 360 controllers for next gen consoles

in XboX Insiders
    Start making the original 360 controllers for next gen consoles: I’d like to say just for memories I had with the 360 since it’s getting shut down so why not make a 360 controller for people to use submitted by /u/Imaginary-Ease8041 [link] [comments]
  3. I just bought an original Xbox game to play on my Xbox 360, and for some reason, it doesn’t...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I just bought an original Xbox game to play on my Xbox 360, and for some reason, it doesn’t...: It was tested on an original Xbox and it worked. I downloaded the most recent update, and even still, it will not work. I have checked, and it is on the list of those that SHOULD be compatible. It...
  4. star wars battlefront 2 original won't work on my 360

in XBoX Games and Apps
    star wars battlefront 2 original won't work on my 360: i know the Xbox360 systems are getting old but this use to work on my last Xbox360. Same game disk, attempting to run on replacement console with original Hdd from my first console, attempting to...
  5. Any way to get the original Gauntlet game re-listed on Xbox 360, One, Series x ls???

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Any way to get the original Gauntlet game re-listed on Xbox 360, One, Series x ls???: Is there any way of getting the original arcade Gauntlet re-listed on Xbox 360, One, or Series XlS? Or any other delisted XBLA games? 149aba9c-2f79-4864-9482-788d210ae3f5
  6. Will I be able to play the disc version of Batman Arkham Origins. It's a Xbox 360 game

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Will I be able to play the disc version of Batman Arkham Origins. It's a Xbox 360 game: I was just wondering if I can play the disc version of Batman Arkham Origins. I have found it on the Xbox website but I don't know if I'll be able to play it. Thank you I actually miss playing...
  7. Original Xbox game won’t play on Xbox 360

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Original Xbox game won’t play on Xbox 360: I recently got Spiderman 2 (2004 game) for Xbox original for my son who is a huge Spiderman fan as he wants to play all the old games. Last night it was playing just fine on our 360 and today it...
  8. [Xbox 360] Some Xbox Original Games not available in download list on Xbox 360

in XBoX Games and Apps
    [Xbox 360] Some Xbox Original Games not available in download list on Xbox 360: About a year ago I purchased multiple original Xbox games that were made backwards compatible. My understanding was when these were purchased not only were they playable on Xbox One/Series...
  9. Unreleashed Xbox original games on Xbox 360 backwards compatible list??

in XboX Insiders
    Unreleashed Xbox original games on Xbox 360 backwards compatible list??: I don't understand why is Samurai Jack The Shadow of Aku and He-Man Defender of Grayskull on the Xbox 360 backwards compatible when they in fact never even releashed on the xbox original in the...
  10. Trying to play original xbox version scarface on an xbox 360

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Trying to play original xbox version scarface on an xbox 360: So this game is backwards compatible on a 360 however when I try to play it it brings up a game error telling me the game couldn't start and to try downloading the game again, I am unsure as to...