Open Tray Error.

Discus and support Open Tray Error. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Every time that I put in the game "Modern Warfare 3", my Xbox does not even read it. It just says "Open Tray". When I put in Advanced Warfare, it reads... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Miss Visualize, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Open Tray Error.

Every time that I put in the game "Modern Warfare 3", my Xbox does not even read it. It just says "Open Tray". When I put in Advanced Warfare, it reads that game right away. There are no scratches or rings on my Modern Warfare 3 disc. I don't understand
    why it does this. Can someone please help me? Is there a way to fix this error without taking apart my Xbox, or buying an entirely new Xbox? If somebody could please help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Miss Visualize, Feb 17, 2015
  2. akjourney
    akjourney Guest
    No response from MS and now my post from last night is gone?

not reading Open Tray Error

akjourney, Feb 17, 2015
  3. open tray error

any help with open tray error

XciTe rampage, Feb 17, 2015
  4. Open Tray Error.

Does it only happen on that one game?

Have you tried another copy of MW3?

This will tell you if its your copy or a console fault.

Opening your console will not help, and will probably end up getting you banned.

THEOWENKILLER, Feb 18, 2015
  5. Does it work on a different console? Maybe bring it over to a buddy's house and try it there, that will let you know if it's the disc or your Xbox.

As Owenkiller mentioned, taking apart your console is probably not a good idea, it's pretty unlikely you'd be able to fix whatever's wrong anyway.

JetCityGambler, Feb 18, 2015
  6. I remember many moons ago when CDs were first becoming available and they said that "they will last forever!"

CDs can actually develop read errors over time and even the tiniest of marks on the surface of the disc can cause data to be misread or missed completely.

I have a few music CDs where the aluminium and acrylic layering on the disc has started to deteriorate. And these are discs that have been handled and looked after in exactly the same way as I do with my vinyl LPs.

As previously suggested, try another copy of MW3 in your console and also try your copy of MW3 in another console.

Paraffin Alien, Feb 19, 2015
  7. Your best bet is to see if another copy would work or actually try it on another console if possible. There is a chance that the disc is damaged. Have you tried cleaning it just because? Maybe there's lint that you didn't notice.

Did you try any other games?

Dr Black Bones, Feb 23, 2015
  8. Open Tray Error.

It has happened a lot more now, and with other games as well. My mom bought me a new MW3 and Black Ops I, and as soon as I put those in my Xbox, it said "Open Tray". I'm going to guess that something is wrong with the laser in my Xbox.

Miss Visualize, Feb 24, 2015
  9. Going off the extremely rude messages i got off you, for just trying to help, you are going to open up your console no matter what advise you get here.

But i suppose the sooner you get it fixed the sooner you can get back to your COD lobbies.

THEOWENKILLER, Feb 24, 2015
  10. TheStMichel
    TheStMichel Guest
    Hi there Revisualize!

Sorry to hear about the issues with the game discs.

Now from what I understand, there are troubleshooting steps we can take without actually taking apart your Xbox. I'd recommend you to check out the

Xbox 360 Disc Drive solution page

From what i'm reading it's reading the discs and it's only certain games that receive this error? How old is your Xbox exactly? Have you tried other games or putting it in after restarting the Xbox?

Hope to hear from you soon.

TheStMichel, Feb 25, 2015
  11. Eggnogga
    Eggnogga Guest
    ^^ Those troubleshooting steps all seem to point to cleaning off the disc with a cloth.

I think her issue has more to do with the actual disc drive dying a slow death.

Eggnogga, Feb 25, 2015
  12. My Xbox is six years old, and it doesn't only do this to certain games. It has done it to various games. And @TheOwenKiller, I'm sorry for being rude. I am never going to open up my Xbox, I do not know what I am doing, so that would not be a good idea.

Also, every time I put in an original xbox game, it reads it right away. I find that very weird that it reads an original xbox game, but not a 360 game.

Miss Visualize, Oct 31, 2018
  13. akjourney Win User

No response from MS and now my post from last night is gone?

not reading Open Tray Error
  14. VailedX360mania Win User

open tray error

I know what you are talking about. I have faced this problem alot! Well I'm sorry to say that there is no good news. The problem is caused by DVD readers laser. It is caused by either getting dirty, getting damaged, or stuck in one place. For solution, there
    is no other way than opening up the XBOX(which is not recommended), and cleaning the laser. If it still doesn't work, all you have to do is to switch DVD readers. I know it sounds crazy but it does actually solve it.

If you say, "I don't/can't open my XBOX and do all that stuff" send it for repairment through:
    myservice.xbox.com/.../Welcome.aspx

IF your warranty is off due to expiration OR some other reason, then I say find a shop that actually can do these kinda stuff :)
  15. Arch Skyte Win User

open tray error

16. GreyPilgrim-CE541714 Win User

Open Tray Error

This unfortunately wont help you,

You would have needed to send it to MS for repair had none of the recommended troubleshooting steps helped you. But as you have opened the console MS will not touch it and self repair can not be discussed on the forums.
  17. Berserkerist Win User

Open Tray Error

Our remarks have been falling on deaf ears. I keep getting the same remark of sorry, it's not our fault, would you like to set up a repair (that will cost you $100 for your out of warranty Xbox) I had this happen to me after the latest dashboard update.
    Write the gaming press (joystiq, ign, kotaku) and file a complaint with the FTC. Microsoft needs to address this issue and make things right.
Thema:

Open Tray Error.

1. Open Tray Error. - Similar Threads - Open Tray Error

2. HELP MY I HAVE A OPEN TRAY ERROR

in XBoX on Consoles
    HELP MY I HAVE A OPEN TRAY ERROR: i try fix the drive it dont work but i want to kill the disc drive my xbox 360 says 'open tray' i managed to read it but it is still a proplem if someone a way to fix it pls say it its...
  3. XBOX 360 disc drive laser (open tray error)

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX 360 disc drive laser (open tray error): My xbox 360's disc drive laser seems to barely be moving even with all the fixes i tried. It first moves close to the center of the disc then stays there and moves just ever so slightly. The disc...
  4. Open tray error

in XBoX on Consoles
    Open tray error: experiencing open tray error. I recently replaced the disk drive the reader that is, and enjoyed about 15 hours of gaming now this. The reader stays in the default position next to the part where...
  5. Forza Horizon "open tray" error

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Forza Horizon "open tray" error: So I wanted to play some Horizon a few days ago but I was greeted with an "open tray" error that wont even read the disc, every other game I have works just fine its just Horizon that gives the...
  6. Open Tray error

in XBoX on Consoles
    Open Tray error: I have an original xbox 360 and its always worked fine until yesterday when it wont read any discs anymore. it wont even read my brand new game i got yesterday. I'vs tried everything but nothing...
  7. Xbox 360 Open Tray Error

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Open Tray Error: I have tried possibly everything with that tray ... I tries that disc of laser lens cleaner but didn't help and tried cleaning it myself and removed all dust from the xbox and now it still dosent...
  8. Xbox 360 Elite (120GB) Wont read disks! (Open Tray Error)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Elite (120GB) Wont read disks! (Open Tray Error): This is how it goes down... So, for the past couple of months now, my xbox is *** up. It started slowly in 2011 where it would take me min 2 minutes to read a disc. I just thought, maybe it's...
  9. Open Tray Error....

in XBoX on Consoles
    Open Tray Error....: Recently my Xbox 360 S has started acting very weird with reading discs. At first I would turn it on it made a few weird sounds said Open Tray and I would just open and close it and every thing...
  10. "open tray error" and wont install + freezing

in XBoX on Consoles
    "open tray error" and wont install + freezing: At this point I dont know what to say. I get a pre owned game and try to play. OF course i already knew id have to open and close the tray 50 million times like always. But when i start to play it...