"open tray error" and wont install + freezing

Discus and support "open tray error" and wont install + freezing in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; At this point I dont know what to say. I get a pre owned game and try to play. OF course i already knew id have to open and close the tray 50 million... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by TBeastKilla, May 31, 2014.

1. TBeastKilla
    TBeastKilla Guest

At this point I dont know what to say. I get a pre owned game and try to play. OF course i already knew id have to open and close the tray 50 million times like always. But when i start to play it freezes at times. Either I start to play then 30 minutes
    later it stops or i try to load and it freezes after the publisher logo. So i figured installing would fix this but guess what. Install says error AS SOON as i press install. Any idea what this is?

Also will resetting to factory condition help?

:)

TBeastKilla, May 31, 2014
  2. Miss Portia
    Miss Portia Guest
    "Open Tray" Error

Hey Grimms - thanks for your post. I noticed that you said you've tried all of the support steps - can I just confirm it was these steps you've tried?

support.xbox.com/.../disc-drive-solution

Miss Portia, May 31, 2014
  3. GrimmsEnd
    GrimmsEnd Guest
    "Open Tray" Error

So my XBOX 360 Slim's warranty expired Sept 2011. I have never had a problem with it until now. 2 nights ago I was playing "Skyrim" when a friend came over and wanted to play "Dead Island" coop. I stopped playing the game a while ago because of the "corrupted
    data" glitch that was known for the game. Decided to try it again anyway and was delighted to see a new update available for the game. Whoo-Hoo...a fix hopefully. So I downloaded the update as well as a system update that I didn't have and rebooted my console. After
    restart my console wouldn't recognize the "Dead Island" disc in my tray, or any other disc now. What happened?..I'm completely stumped. I have followed all steps in the support section. I really find it hard to believe this to be a "wearing out drive".
    Its worked perfectly up until those two updates.

GrimmsEnd, May 31, 2014
  4. "open tray error" and wont install + freezing

I would try deleting the game then clearing the cache and then reinstalling the game again. To clear the cache go to system, settings, highlight hdd and press the y button and then select clear cache. After you clear the cache restart the console and reinstall
    the game again and try it again.

MaximumExtreme, May 31, 2014
  5. TBeastKilla
    TBeastKilla Guest
    Still wont install and freezes as normal.

TBeastKilla, May 31, 2014
  6. Hi

Is it just this game that you keep having to open and close the tray to get to load? If the answer yes, swap the pre-owned game for one with a disc in better condition. If the answer is no, and this issue happens with all your games it is safe to say your
    console's DVD drive is on the way out.

The 'Open Tray Error' is often the first sign of a failing DVD drive. If happens often on all of your games, either your game discs are in a really bad condition or your console has a hardware fault. In which case you can either get it repaired by MS or buy
    a new one.

Good luck

Obsessive Power, Oct 31, 2018
  7. MaximumExtreme Win User

I would try deleting the game then clearing the cache and then reinstalling the game again. To clear the cache go to system, settings, highlight hdd and press the y button and then select clear cache. After you clear the cache restart the console and reinstall
    the game again and try it again.
  8. Obsessive Power Win User

Hi

Is it just this game that you keep having to open and close the tray to get to load? If the answer yes, swap the pre-owned game for one with a disc in better condition. If the answer is no, and this issue happens with all your games it is safe to say your
    console's DVD drive is on the way out.

The 'Open Tray Error' is often the first sign of a failing DVD drive. If happens often on all of your games, either your game discs are in a really bad condition or your console has a hardware fault. In which case you can either get it repaired by MS or buy
    a new one.

Good luck
  9. TBeastKilla Win User

Still wont install and freezes as normal.
  10. SgtSativa73 Win User

xbox 360 S bricked due to 9/3/2014 update!!! beware!!!

The console wont boot up. The disk tray wont open. So to answer your question, no.
  11. natephishy Win User

Disc Tray wont open

Try smacking the xbox above the tray and pressing the open button at the same time. If it opens try to keep a disc in the tray before turning off then you wont have to smack it everytime.
Thema:

1. "open tray error" and wont install + freezing - Similar Threads - open tray error

2. HELP MY I HAVE A OPEN TRAY ERROR

in XBoX on Consoles
    HELP MY I HAVE A OPEN TRAY ERROR: i try fix the drive it dont work but i want to kill the disc drive my xbox 360 says 'open tray' i managed to read it but it is still a proplem if someone a way to fix it pls say it its...
  3. XBOX 360 disc drive laser (open tray error)

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX 360 disc drive laser (open tray error): My xbox 360's disc drive laser seems to barely be moving even with all the fixes i tried. It first moves close to the center of the disc then stays there and moves just ever so slightly. The disc...
  4. Open tray error

in XBoX on Consoles
    Open tray error: experiencing open tray error. I recently replaced the disk drive the reader that is, and enjoyed about 15 hours of gaming now this. The reader stays in the default position next to the part where...
  5. Forza Horizon "open tray" error

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Forza Horizon "open tray" error: So I wanted to play some Horizon a few days ago but I was greeted with an "open tray" error that wont even read the disc, every other game I have works just fine its just Horizon that gives the...
  6. Open Tray error

in XBoX on Consoles
    Open Tray error: I have an original xbox 360 and its always worked fine until yesterday when it wont read any discs anymore. it wont even read my brand new game i got yesterday. I'vs tried everything but nothing...
  7. Xbox 360 Open Tray Error

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Open Tray Error: I have tried possibly everything with that tray ... I tries that disc of laser lens cleaner but didn't help and tried cleaning it myself and removed all dust from the xbox and now it still dosent...
  8. Open Tray Error.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Open Tray Error.: Every time that I put in the game "Modern Warfare 3", my Xbox does not even read it. It just says "Open Tray". When I put in Advanced Warfare, it reads that game right away. There are no scratches...
  9. Xbox 360 Elite (120GB) Wont read disks! (Open Tray Error)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Elite (120GB) Wont read disks! (Open Tray Error): This is how it goes down... So, for the past couple of months now, my xbox is *** up. It started slowly in 2011 where it would take me min 2 minutes to read a disc. I just thought, maybe it's...
  10. Open Tray Error....

in XBoX on Consoles
    Open Tray Error....: Recently my Xbox 360 S has started acting very weird with reading discs. At first I would turn it on it made a few weird sounds said Open Tray and I would just open and close it and every thing...