On Xbox one I need to search for a specific file name on an external HDD. No apps seem to...

Discus and support On Xbox one I need to search for a specific file name on an external HDD. No apps seem to... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; File manager and VLC don’t seem to be able to. I’m extremely frustrated and upset, since a basic android phone has been able to do this for a decade,... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Whoop365, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Whoop365
    Whoop365 Guest

On Xbox one I need to search for a specific file name on an external HDD. No apps seem to...

File manager and VLC don’t seem to be able to.

I’m extremely frustrated and upset, since a basic android phone has been able to do this for a decade, but the Xbox one seems to have MAJOR issues.

My computer is broken and I need to find a specific video file on 2TB of external HDD.

Any apps that have a search function that works?

:)

Whoop365, Mar 10, 2023
  2. Jonny306 Win User

On Xbox one I need to search for a specific file name on an external HDD. No apps seem to be able to do this - can anyone help?

Hello there!

My name is Jonny and I will be assisting you today!

First, thank you so much for contacting us regarding your inquiry/ concern.

There won't be a way to go into the hardrive and search for a specific file without a PC. The Xbox is a home console and is not a PC or mobile device. It is simply designed for entertainment purposes ie: Gaming and Media so sadly there won't be an app that will allow you to pick through each file.

However, if the HDD was formatted as a media storage device when it was used with the Xbox, you may be able to cycle through the media files using the player BUT this will ONLY work if your Xbox was used to format it as a media device.
  3. Mister Beep Win User

Media Player App Issues

Alright, thanks for the information!

I'd like you to try some very specific troubleshooting steps to further narrow down where the issue lies.

First, let's try reformatting your external HDD by following the steps below:

• Move your media files off of the external HDD so you will not lose them.
    • Reformat the external HDD to NTFS on a Windows PC.
    • Move the media files you wish to have back onto the external HDD.
    • Uninstall the Media Player app.
    • Hold the power button on the Xbox One console for 10 seconds, or until the unit fully shuts down.
    • Reinstall the Media Player app.
    • Plug the newly formatted external HDD back into the Xbox One console with a different USB 3.0 cable (if possible) and verify if the issue persists!
    Be sure to follow each step in that order! If the issue persists after trying the steps above, the next step will be to try a different USB 3.0 external HDD to see if the issue persists on multiple eternal HDD's.

Try each of those steps above, along with a different external HDD, and post back the results so we can narrow down the issue further and help you get this sorted!

Thanks! :)
  4. espr3ss001 Win User

Copy files from Mac to Xbox One external HDD ?

Even with the media app installed how can i copy movie files from Mac to the external hdd on the Xbox ?
  5. dudeskis01 Win User

How to play your own music from your PC on the Xbox

this article is about the xbox music app. not the xbox one. i cant imagine the xbox one wont let you stream media from your network. that would be a huge step backwards. i just read this as the xbox music app only access music from the cloud, so if you want
    to put your music on the cloud you have to pay for that service.

-

the media player and libraries should be able to be told to access files on the local hdd, the external hdd, or a network hdd. if not it wont be long before someone makes an app to do it.
  6. Derek_10 Win User

All movies newly added to my external hard drive won't play on my Xbox one X through the VLC media player or the Microsoft media app.

The media files are either MPEG-4 or MKV. I can confidently say that the issue is not due to file compatibility as I have many other files in those formats that play just fine.

This is the exact issue: I have an external HDD connected to my Xbox with all my media (movies mainly) files that I have saved throughout the years. When you initially connect an external HDD to the Xbox it asks if this is for storing Games/Screen Captures
    or if this is for Media playback. In this case media playback is selected and then all the files currently on the HDD will show up and play without issue.

Now here is the issue. After the initial setup and selecting this HDD as media only, any additional files I add to my HDD the Microsoft Media Player as well as VLC will recognize the file/folder depending on how I have it formatted, but:

1) If the file is not in a folder both programs will recognize the file but will not play it

or

2) If the file is in a folder, then when I open the folder the folder is empty.

This is a new issue and has never happened in the past.

One potential temporary solution I thought of, but I don't know how to do it or if it is possible: Can I have the Xbox forget the external HDD (without clearing the HDD obviously) so as to the next time I plug it in it will recognize the external HDD as
    a new drive and I can select Games vs Media again? This way after media is selected all my new files will show up as well.

Update: I restarted my Xbox and reselecting the Games vs Media did not work. When trying to play an individual file (of the new files just added, because all my previous files in the same format work just fine)

Update #2: The external HDD I am using is a WD 8TB Easy store. As I stated above all my old files work but none of the new files do. As my issue was not formatting, I dug out my old HDD (a 2TB Seagate) and added my new files to that. All the new files played
    normally. The question is.... why are new files not playing on my WD while they play normally on the Seagate. (BTW: Yes both HDD are formatted the same, exFAT). At least for me this appears to be an external HDD issue. I will do one more update after clearing
    my WD HDD before adding everything back, but this will take around 1 day.

Update #3: After erasing all media and adding it back to my WD external HDD all files (including the new ones) play as normal.
Thema:

1. On Xbox one I need to search for a specific file name on an external HDD. No apps seem to... - Similar Threads - need search specific

2. Need help unlinking deleted Microsoft account from my ps5

in XBoX on Windows
    Need help unlinking deleted Microsoft account from my ps5: I used to play Minecraft alot but I needed to get another Microsoft account to go with my updated and new email, so dumbly of Me, when I signed out of Minecraft, I didn't press the unlink button...
  3. Need help my xbox isn't loading games properly

in XboX Insiders
    Need help my xbox isn't loading games properly: Every time I open a game the title screen will load visually but it will stay there and nothing will change but I can hear the audio as if the game did open and is running fine. How do I fix this?...
  4. I can’t login to my account. What do i need to do?

in XBoX Accessibility
    I can’t login to my account. What do i need to do?: Hi my name is Emiliano and i can’t login to my minecraft account. The name is GradientDeer845, I don’t recall the email or password used to login. 13634549-16d1-4ea9-875b-fafd0b7c7491
  5. Is there a fix or should i take it for repairs and what needs repairs.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is there a fix or should i take it for repairs and what needs repairs.: So my xbox one is running 40fps constantly and it is very unplayable. I havent used more than 50% of my storage, i have done hard and soft resets cleared cashes and more but nothing works. Is...
  6. Why does the standalone Xbox program keep telling me I need Xbox Game Bar just for voice chat?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why does the standalone Xbox program keep telling me I need Xbox Game Bar just for voice chat?: In attempting to play with Xbox-owning friends, I thought Microsoft would have had a simple, streamlined program for voice chat between P.C. and Xbox users. It doesn't seem like that's the case....
  7. I need a refund

in XBoX on Windows
    I need a refund: Someone got on my game system an bought gams that I was not going to get an I need refunded 3019122b-21dc-44a3-814c-27f05756cbbd
  8. I need help with ssd in xbox, 400gb of space dissappears

in XboX Insiders
    I need help with ssd in xbox, 400gb of space dissappears: So i have an 960gb ssd , xbox formats it and leaves about 400gb unallocated, i cant really play alot of games with 365gb of storage for games. What do i do, if i assign the unallocated space in my...
  9. I need help with Xbox cloud gaming.

in XboX Insiders
    I need help with Xbox cloud gaming.: So I have been playing fallout 76 with my friends in my Xbox series s. One of them was playing with Xbox cloud gaming on his laptop that had an rtx 3060. He told me it wasn’t laggy at all. Today I...
  10. need help on search xbox one

in XBoX on Consoles
    need help on search xbox one: Is there a way to search across all movie/tv apps for a specific program? Example- Say you wanted to watch Harry Potter Movie. Can you search one spot and see what movie apps have content i.e....