On Screen Text Translations on Streaming Apps - only on XBOX, only written text.

Discus and support On Screen Text Translations on Streaming Apps - only on XBOX, only written text. in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I am not sure how to categorize this issue. Whenever I watch any show on Prime Video it shows me a German subtitle whenever written text is shown on... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Mary_S_27, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Mary_S_27
    Mary_S_27 Guest

On Screen Text Translations on Streaming Apps - only on XBOX, only written text.

I am not sure how to categorize this issue. Whenever I watch any show on Prime Video it shows me a German subtitle whenever written text is shown on the screen. Like if there’s a billboard or presentation or note on a desk, etc, it shows me a German translation. This happens whether or not I have the audio subtitles turned on (which I have set to English). I don’t speak or read German and I have been through every subtitle setting/menu I can find within Amazon/Prime and cannot find anything relating to written word subtitles. I am waiting on a call back from Amazon now but since they passed me off to 4 different people I am guessing this is not something that has come up before. I am also thinking that this happens on Netflix and HBO as well, but I don’t remember. I am using an XBox One and this doesn’t happen when I watch shows using an iPad or computer. Thanks for any insight!

:)

Mary_S_27, Jun 30, 2022
  2. RainingRoses Win User

Thanks for confirming this info. I can understand why you prefer not to have subtitles when these aren’t needed as it can often be distracting.

If this is affecting multiple streaming apps, closed captions is probably enabled in the console settings. Refer to:

Change closed captioning settings on your Xbox console | Xbox Support

If it’s actually the settings in the Prime Video app and possibly even other apps, uninstalling and reinstalling the apps should reset all the app settings to default. It’s generally the developers’ responsibility to address any issues with their apps, not Microsoft/Xbox, so they would need to resolve it in an update if it’s something on their side.

This is unlikely, but just to be sure - see if the subtitles still appear when signed in to a different Amazon account (or perhaps another profile on the same account) if possible and try the same for the other apps.

If this continues, report the problem so the Xbox team can look into this further. You may add [Xbox Forums] to the title of the report, then share this here once complete. Thanks!
  3. Mary_S_27 Win User

Hi, thanks for the response! It seems to be entirely random which series and movies it happens on but it’s when the camera lingers on important text like a newspaper headline or something like that. It just occurred while watching The Boys on Prime but I seem to recall it happening during Nightmare Alley on HBO and something on Netflix a while ago.

Console OS: 10.0.22621.1606

Prime app version: 3.6.3.70

I did hear back from Amazon and they said it’s not something they can figure out and might be a glitch or an Xbox issue. They suggested clearing the cache for the app which I haven’t had a chance to try. After restarting the app as you suggested i rewatched the part that I most recently encountered the issue and it didn’t do it, so that’s a good sign! But considering this has been happening for months maybe years makes me think it’s a temporary solution. Is there something in the Microsoft AI that’s trying to assist reading text on screen? I’m going to take it as a positive that I can’t recreate the problem and hopefully it won’t return.
  4. RainingRoses Win User

Hi Mary,

Do the subtitles only appear in certain films/TV series? If so, can you share a few specific examples and see if this occurs in Netflix, Sky, YouTube, etc as well if possible. I notice that the right trigger (RT) button enables/disables the subtitles, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to prevent this and it shouldn’t automatically change the language.

What OS version are you currently on? You can find this info in Settings > System > Console info.

Can you also confirm what app version you have, please? Highlight the Prime Video app, press the menu button on your controller and select Manage app. The app version I currently have installed for Prime Video on my Xbox One is 3.6.3.70 with no pending updates. Try to close the app from the same menu, then relaunch it to see if there’s any improvement (if your console is in standby mode, games and apps won’t properly restart unless you disconnect the power cable from the wall outlet to reset the power supply).

If the error persists even with all the correct settings, it would be best to completely uninstall and reinstall the app as this would most likely resolve the issue.

The Amazon Support team should be able to address this for you. General support guides for Prime Video are included here:

Prime Video - Amazon Help

More info on Xbox accessibility settings and features:

https://support.xbox.com/help/accessible-gaming

https://www.xbox.com/community/for-everyone/accessibility

Hope this helps.
  5. MorseyBaby Win User

Call Of Duty MW Xbox One X LANGUAGE

Are you able to navigate to the settings menu within the game to change it? Lots of apps (e.g. Google Translate) are pretty good at translating on-screen text these days to help get through the menus
  6. XBF Felixx P Win User

Deponia only Droggeljug text

Hey there

someonezmom
    !

Thank you for letting us know that your question has been answered. We'll be locking the thread as the issue has
    been resolved. If you ever require any help with any other issues please feel free to come back to the Xbox Forums for further assistance. For those reading this thread and if the troubleshooting steps listed above didn't help resolve the issue, please feel
    free to create a new thread asking for assistance.

Thank you again and have a great day!

Felix

Xbox forums support
Thema:

1. On Screen Text Translations on Streaming Apps - only on XBOX, only written text. - Similar Threads - Screen Text Translations

2. On screen keyboard drift / can I turn off predictive text on screen keyboard?

in XBoX Accessibility
    On screen keyboard drift / can I turn off predictive text on screen keyboard?: I have an issue when I’m using the on screen keyboard with Xbox series x. When the on screen keyboard is open, after typing the first character, the cursor automatically goes to the first word on...
  3. On xbox while on mircosft edge and on keyboard how do you get rid of the text box on the screen

in XBoX on Windows
    On xbox while on mircosft edge and on keyboard how do you get rid of the text box on the screen: On xbox while on mircosft edge and on keyboard how do you get rid of the text box on the screen bcc5a3af-b8f0-4562-a689-5447d0a34a0e
  4. Greyed out screen after text edit on PC cloud gaming.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Greyed out screen after text edit on PC cloud gaming.: First off to make it clear, this is an issue while playing via the Cloud Gaming Service on PC with the Xbox App. It does not occur when using the console, either Cloud or local. I have recently...
  5. Text on screen

in XBoX on Consoles
    Text on screen: I just bought a new tv it is 4k my xbox only runs 1080p, the red letters on my screen in all games and apps appear messed up. Any way to fix? c231839c-6346-4051-b326-13a63bd43de4
  6. On screen virtual keyboard not entering text

in XboX Insiders
    On screen virtual keyboard not entering text: Im playing on Ark and tried entering an admin command. Everything typed just fine and displayed the proper text, but when I press the start button to "confirm" that the text is correct Its acts as...
  7. Extra subtitles for on screen text

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Extra subtitles for on screen text: I just rented MIDWAY on my xbox and every time the film has on screen text subtitles pop up. Its extremely distracting. Is there anyway to stop it? Closed captioning and subtitle options in app...
  8. Minecraft RTX, nyway to get rid of text on top of screen?

in XboX Insiders
    Minecraft RTX, nyway to get rid of text on top of screen?: On top of the screen there's some text that' like info text about gpu, OS, memory, and some other stuff, is there any way to get rid of that or turn it off? I can't see anything in the settings...
  9. Strange text on screen

in XBoX on Consoles
    Strange text on screen: So this appeared today around 8pm CST. Should I be concerned? [img] 79d3086d-db7a-470e-ba58-525a65227c41
  10. Text/Images flashing and trying to render outside screen safe zone, occasional white flash...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Text/Images flashing and trying to render outside screen safe zone, occasional white flash...: Hey I was wondering if anyone has seen this. Im having issues when playing where text and images like game maps, or anything around the edge of thet screen try to render outside of the safe...