Not being able to play second hand game discs - keep being asked to get a game pass

Discus and support Not being able to play second hand game discs - keep being asked to get a game pass in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; hello - my son has bought several games for his x box one at a popular game swap/second hand store here in the UK called CEX. Yesterday he bought... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by CharlottePeppé, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Not being able to play second hand game discs - keep being asked to get a game pass

hello - my son has bought several games for his x box one at a popular game swap/second hand store here in the UK called CEX.

Yesterday he bought Battlefront 2 and Overwatch and intalled both games.

Both games are asking for him to join and pay for a Game Pass.

Has anyone else experienced this ? If so how did you find a way around it ?

Regards in advance.

:)

CharlottePeppé, Nov 4, 2021
  2. Farscape247 Win User

Not being able to play second hand game discs - keep being asked to get a game pass

it is normal these days for consoles, to access online features in bought games you need to pay microsoft or sony or nintendo a fee to play online, only free to play games don't need this requirement i.e fortnite, rocket league etc.

Even though the majority of servers are actually hosted and paid for by the game devs.
  3. Nursemorph Win User

thanks for your reply - is that normal for a game that you buy ? Seems really ridiculous to buy a game and then pay more to actually access it ?
    It depends on the game. Xbox Live Gold is required to play Multiplayer/Online. Overwatch is an online-only game as I don't believe it has a single player component but is just online against other players or co-op with other players.

Battlefront 2 has an online component, hence being asked to buy Live Gold. However, it is not a requirement if the online part isn't being used:

"Online multiplayer on Xbox requires Xbox Live Gold (subscription sold separately)."

I suspect, however, that to over-ride this, the console would need to be put into offline mode. This will need someone else to confirm though as I'm not a console expert
  4. Farscape247 Win User

he needs gold to play those games, it will be asking if you want gamepass ultimate or gold. gold is required to play games online and those 2 games are online only games.
  5. MateusFontana Win User

Hello, how are you? My name is Mateus. I'm an Independent Advisor and I'll be glad to help you today.

First, welcome to the Xbox community.

We appreciate your coming to the Xbox community. I believe this is happening because these games require an Xbox Live Gold subscription which is included as one of the benefits of Game Pass Ultimate, the Xbox live gold is required for you to be able to access the servers of these games.

On the games page in the log, it is shown that both require Xbox Live Gold. Below are the example images.

[​IMG]

*Thanks in advance for contacting, I hope this can help you.
  6. CharlottePeppé Win User

thanks for your reply - is that normal for a game that you buy ? Seems really ridiculous to buy a game and then pay more to actually access it ?
Thema:

1. Not being able to play second hand game discs - keep being asked to get a game pass - Similar Threads - being able play

2. Xbox all of a sudden stopped being able to connect to my internet

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox all of a sudden stopped being able to connect to my internet: I was watching a show on hulu, a day ago and all of sudden my Xbox disconnected from the internet. I thought nothing of it until it would now no longer connect. It will connect to my hotspot, but...
  3. Not being able to play games on external hard drive

in XBoX on Windows
    Not being able to play games on external hard drive: Why can’t I play games on my external hard rice fa80c9e6-2a62-4a8b-93ef-811c874bbf99
  4. Play spotify music only on monitor and not through headset while still being able to hear game?

in XBoX on Windows
    Play spotify music only on monitor and not through headset while still being able to hear game?: Is there a way to play game audio through headset but spotify playing only on monitor? d368a210-979a-44bc-90ee-70363e601680
  5. How do I fix not being able to hear character voicelines in games?

in XBoX on Windows
    How do I fix not being able to hear character voicelines in games?: I recently started playing Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint and noticed I was unable to hear voicelines entirely or they sounded like they were speaking from 50 meters away when the character...
  6. Question on Xbox elite controller 2 being able to get refurbished.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Question on Xbox elite controller 2 being able to get refurbished.: So I bought an xbox elite controller 2 not too long ago and I want to get the plastic on the right and left bumpers replaced as well as getting the controller joysticks undusted since I think...
  7. Not being able to mash

in XBoX on Windows
    Not being able to mash: So I’ve been playing Sonic friends on my X box series X and I’m at the Giganto boss fight, when the section comes that I had to button mash it dosent register all my mashes and I can’t do it, like...
  8. How to fix not being able to play games I own from current gen on next gen

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How to fix not being able to play games I own from current gen on next gen: So I have 2k23 on my Xbox One and I recently purchased a Series X, and I'm downloading 2k23 on my series X but it will not let me play it saying I need to buy it again, is there any fix because I...
  9. Why has my partner's laptop stopped being able to play Ark survival (pc game pass) all of a...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why has my partner's laptop stopped being able to play Ark survival (pc game pass) all of a...: Currently play ark survival on pc, we play using the game pass (so xbox servers) my partner's laptop is much better than mine and plays it perfectly fine on high graphics. And we have our own...
  10. I need help fixing the issue with playing classic mw2 (2009) multiplayer and not being able...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I need help fixing the issue with playing classic mw2 (2009) multiplayer and not being able...: I am unable to play call of duty MW2 (2009) multiplayer due to a reoccurring error message saying you don’t have Xbox live (which I do) and your parents Microsoft Account isn’t valid. Your parent...