No option to format external storage

Discus and support No option to format external storage in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I'm trying to use a Seagate 2TB Game Drive (it's even sold as for use with Xbox One/360). The console recognizes the drive as media storage, but... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Boring K, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Boring K
    Boring K Guest

I'm trying to use a Seagate 2TB Game Drive (it's even sold as for use with Xbox One/360). The console recognizes the drive as media storage, but provides no option to format it for games/apps use.

:)

Boring K, Mar 28, 2016
  2. ToxicOtter
    ToxicOtter Guest
    Move Save Games from Internal HDD to External Storage

I'm attempting to move all storage from internal to external, but when I go to manage storage and select the external there is no option to set as default, only view & format. Any suggestions?

ToxicOtter, Mar 28, 2016
  3. Morbidpsycho
    Morbidpsycho Guest
    External Hard Drive

Not sure , I'll check and let you know what I find.

ok , I found out how to do it . Find the settings then go to System then from System find the column that has Storage listed at the top. Underneath it should have "Manage Storage" . Then when I click on that it says Storage Select a device to see its options and I have an Internal and my formatted X box external hard drive . Move the Highlight from the Internal to the External hard drive and click the "A" button on the controller and it brings up a list
    View Contents , Install here by default , Rename , and Format.
    So just highlight the Install here by Default and your games will install on the External hard drive instead of the Internal.

I hope this helps out .

Morbidpsycho, Mar 28, 2016
  4. ItsLC Gaming
    ItsLC Gaming Guest

if you go into settings > system > storage, you might be able to format it there, if its not doing it automaticlly

ItsLC Gaming, Mar 28, 2016
  5. Boring K
    Boring K Guest
    I resolved this. Had to connect the drive to my PC, format it to NTFS, then hook it back up to the console and then the option to format it for games/apps was available. It seems like a drive sold as an Xbox accessory should work out of the box, and not
    have to be formatted twice on two different machines.

Boring K, Mar 28, 2016
  6. {Parity}
    {Parity} Guest
    Thanks for posting your solutions it will help other users down the road. Happy Gaming!

{Parity}, Mar 28, 2016
  7. Qwertei
    Qwertei Guest
    I'd Like too note that the 360 runs NTFS so if users do not own any P.C the 360 is the next step.

Qwertei, Oct 31, 2018
  8. Qwertei Win User

I'd Like too note that the 360 runs NTFS so if users do not own any P.C the 360 is the next step.
  9. Boring K Win User

I resolved this. Had to connect the drive to my PC, format it to NTFS, then hook it back up to the console and then the option to format it for games/apps was available. It seems like a drive sold as an Xbox accessory should work out of the box, and not
    have to be formatted twice on two different machines.
  10. {Parity} Win User

Thanks for posting your solutions it will help other users down the road. Happy Gaming!
  11. ItsLC Gaming Win User

if you go into settings > system > storage, you might be able to format it there, if its not doing it automaticlly
  12. ToxicOtter Win User

Move Save Games from Internal HDD to External Storage

I'm attempting to move all storage from internal to external, but when I go to manage storage and select the external there is no option to set as default, only view & format. Any suggestions?
Thema:

1. No option to format external storage - Similar Threads - option format external

2. xbox series x no ipv6 option

in XBoX on Consoles
    xbox series x no ipv6 option: i have a new tv connected through the same router and it connected by ipv6 automatically 7be3bbb8-3f91-469b-9f9a-d08dfa61f8a6
  3. New drive format options PLEASE

in XBoX on Consoles
    New drive format options PLEASE: So, a few minutes ago I went to change my install location for my games but here is one issue, mc c drive is full so, I went to change my drive location and, then it said that it needed to be NTFS...
  4. I do not see the "format" option on my external storage, for my xbox Series X

in XBoX on Consoles
    I do not see the "format" option on my external storage, for my xbox Series X: Hello! I've purchased a new external storage device (it is not a Seagate) for my Xbox Series X. Despite being able to identify it for media purposes, I can not format it for storing games &...
  5. No format option for external hard drive.

in XBoX on Consoles
    No format option for external hard drive.: Hi, when i plug in a external hard drive in my Xbox One the format option does not come up. It's a new drive, usb 3.0 and 3 tb and it is recognized as a media drive. No format option in manage...
  6. Seagate Game Drive 4 tb only recognized as media device, no option to format it for games

in XBoX on Consoles
    Seagate Game Drive 4 tb only recognized as media device, no option to format it for games: Hi, i bought a new Seagate Game Drive 4 tb but i can't format it for game storage on the Xbox One because it doesn't give me the option to do it, it sees it as a media only device. All help is...
  7. Xbox one External Hard Drive no format option

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one External Hard Drive no format option: So I got a new Xbox One a while ago and I have ran out of space recently. I had a spare external hard drive laying around so I formatted it and plugged it in. I had the option to format it in the...
  8. Seagate 2TB External Hard drive not giving a format option on Xbox One

in XBoX on Consoles
    Seagate 2TB External Hard drive not giving a format option on Xbox One: I recently bought a Seagate 2TB hard drive and plugged it into the xbox one. It tells me that it recognizes it as far a media device and prompted me to download the media viewer, but never pops up...
  9. External HD detected as "Media" with no format option.

in XBoX on Consoles
    External HD detected as "Media" with no format option.: I got a Toshiba 5 TB HD USB 3.0, with its own power source, so supposedly meets the requirements as an external HD for Xbox One. Well, when I plug it in, the Xbox detects it, but it reads as a...
  10. Format option not present in memory options

in XBoX on Consoles
    Format option not present in memory options: Does anyone know why am I not being given the format option in the memory section of console settings? e6857314-161c-483e-a50b-ad8f0840cdea