No more automatic game and app updates?

Discus and support No more automatic game and app updates? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; @Blood, a factory reset in my case did nothing to address this issue. Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by ZEISMAN, Jan 30, 2014.

  1. No more automatic game and app updates?


    @Blood, a factory reset in my case did nothing to address this issue.
     
    PrimitiveMeat, Mar 16, 2014
    #31
  2. Mister_Tez
    Mister_Tez Guest
    I've not noticed *any* app or game updates in my notifications since the system update... But I think I have still had auto-updates, though, as I'm sure there were supposed to be recent updates for Battlefield 4 and the Skype app and when I load both I'm
    not prompted for an update, suggesting they're already up to date.
     
    Mister_Tez, Mar 17, 2014
    #32
  3. Mine surprises me with updates when I open an app, or load up a game. All settings as they should be, constant internet connection and a more than a hand full of resets to try to fix it.... No dice. Only thing that updates automatically for my system are
    the new OS builds.
     
    PrimitiveMeat, Mar 17, 2014
    #33
  4. E McSq
    E McSq Guest

    No more automatic game and app updates?

    Add me to the list.

    First week didn't work.

    Second week started working..yay!

    Few weeks later get kicked out of DR3 for a 13gig update that had been released 2 days prior, despite the fact the xbox had been in standby for 16 hours..boo!

    So, it didn't work, then it did, now it doesn't.

    I assume it has to be a network issue?
     
    E McSq, Mar 17, 2014
    #34
  5. Blood Inside
    Blood Inside Guest
    The new beta build 1404 has not fixed this either unfortunately.
     
    Blood Inside, Mar 20, 2014
    #35
  6. Let me add that mine has not auto updated apps or games from day one of ownership... All settings as they should be.
     
    PrimitiveMeat, Mar 20, 2014
    #36
  7. Jaymo1978
    Jaymo1978 Guest
    @PrimitiveMeat, how long have you owned yours? Did you own one at launch, or did you buy it later? Our launch consoles all did the automatic updates properly, with just a very brief install necessary to finalize the update (would get a notification, and
    when putting in the disc it would go from 99% to Finished.) But since the 1403 update, the updates do not seem to be happening at all.

    I have heard conflicting reports about the asterisk in the corner of the app. It sounded as though this was supposed to indicate an app that has recently updated, however when I went to one of the many starred apps on my system last night, it needed to download
    the full update and then install. So, it almost acts like the star is for "update required."
     
    Jaymo1978, Mar 20, 2014
    #37
  8. No more automatic game and app updates?

    Day one purchase... The first time I realized the system was not updating in stand-by was after I turned on DR3 and introduced to the whopping update it had. Since then, going from app to app and getting the message "An update is ready" from then to current
    I know it don't update on its own. It will find firmware though, all the new preview builds etc came in like clockwork, but games or apps no dice. Its all done manually on my end and has been from launch.
     
    PrimitiveMeat, Mar 20, 2014
    #38
  9. Jaymo1978
    Jaymo1978 Guest
    Can anyone confirm for me if you are still experiencing this issue? I was pleasantly surprised yesterday - as recently as Friday evening, I still had "stars" on all of my apps needing updates, and no updates had downloaded during the idle/sleep time. Yesterday
    I logged in, and EVERY app had been updated (the stars were gone.) I went into one I specifically remembered was listed as needing an update, and sure enough, it started up right away with no prompt to download the latest update.

    Not sure if it's just me, or if this is now resolved for everyone....
     
    Jaymo1978, Apr 1, 2014
    #39
  10. ZEISMAN
    ZEISMAN Guest
    For me it's gone. And I'm quite sure, that these little stars indicate, that an update has been installed recently.
     
    ZEISMAN, Apr 1, 2014
    #40
  11. TheBenKahn
    TheBenKahn Guest
    I've been experiencing the same issue - multiple prompts to update as I open games or apps. First noticed with the Dead Rising 13GB patch. Thanks to all for pointing out the "stars" - as near as I can tell these show up when an app/game needs an update and
    then disappear after you launch the updated app once. It seems some apps are updating in the background for me, but not others; for example, Netflix had an update star. I'm fairly certain I did not manually OK an update for Netflix. On the other hand I opened
    Xbox Music, which I haven't used in quite some time, and was prompted.

    Given the new cloud style infrastructure, I wonder if this isn't a server side issue preventing some updates from being automatically pushed to consoles? Or perhaps not even a bug, but rather a "feature"? It wouldn't surprise me if there is some kind of
    fancy algorithm that takes into account how often you use an app and prioritizes updates. That would make sense why Netflix was updated for me (I use it all the time) whereas Xbox music was not (have used it maybe twice since launch).
     
    TheBenKahn, Apr 15, 2014
    #41
  12. Jaymo1978
    Jaymo1978 Guest
    That's a good thought on the prioritized updates, rambo. That seems most likely, as up to now, the "star" function has been a bit ambiguous - I believe it is "supposed" to mean that an app/game has recently been updated, however, often I have opened apps
    with the star and still get the "Update required" message. With that behavior, it seems like the star could mean "update installed" as well as "update available but not yet installed." I even had one which I opened with NO star, was told an update was required,
    and after updating, it gave me the star.

    Very odd, but I'm betting your guess might be on the right track. Maybe for a future update (I'll post in feedback) they could implement different icons - for example, a star could mean "recently updated," an EXCLAMATION could mean "update available but
    not installed." Maybe even a little clock for "update downloaded but install not finalized."
     
    Jaymo1978, Oct 31, 2018
    #42
  13. PrimitiveMeat Win User

    No more automatic game and app updates?

    Let me add that mine has not auto updated apps or games from day one of ownership... All settings as they should be.
  14. PrimitiveMeat Win User

    No more automatic game and app updates?

    Mine surprises me with updates when I open an app, or load up a game. All settings as they should be, constant internet connection and a more than a hand full of resets to try to fix it.... No dice. Only thing that updates automatically for my system are
    the new OS builds.
  15. Jaymo1978 Win User

    No more automatic game and app updates?

    Okay, this is a shot in the dark, but I just encountered something today. Has anyone on this thread checked their download queue on their console? I ask because, all along my updates have been downloading automatically, but today when I played BF4, I got
    a notice that it needed an update. I let it download and went into my apps to pick something else, where I discovered there were 2 items in queue (I only expected the one.)

    On checking the queue, 1 was my BF updated as expected. The OTHER was the Ryse expansion pack I triggered to download when I was away from my console. It was like that was waiting for me to okay it on the console before it would DL. Could it be possible
    that offline downloads "wait" in the queue and make other things wait in line behind it? So then, automatic updates may not trigger if something else is 1st in line waiting for us to verify it...?

    Like I said, shot in the dark, but this was my experience today....
  16. LogicGazer Win User

    No more automatic game and app updates?

    Also I was really hoping when I got the new dashboard update beta, it would fix my issues. It didn't. I just wanted to be sure I mentioned that. My console is up to date with the O/S but auto game and app updates still don't work.
  17. Jaymo1978 Win User

    No more automatic game and app updates?

    Okay, folks, I've found some interesting info, because my memory of the console's pre-update behavior matches what you've all mentioned. The system should be downloading both O/S AND game updates, not just system updates.

    Now, I know someone was snapped at earlier in this thread for suggesting checking an item in your settings, but I personally have noticed some settings getting reset to default options after an update. There are two specific places I would check to make
    sure you're still receiving background updates. According to this page:

    support.xbox.com/.../learn-about-power-modes

    even when "instant on" mode is selected, if the Power & Startup is set to "never turn off," then background updates won't download. The wording on this page is a bit fuzzy, but it makes it sound like you need to choose "turn off after 6 hours" or "1 hour,"
    in addition to being in Instant On mode.

    Also, the same page indicates "In order to have available downloads update automatically, you must select the option to automatically download updates in the Power & startup menu." I would check to make sure that option is still selected, even though it
    worked properly before. It does definitely say that without that option, "games and apps" may require an update/download.

    It's at least something worth checking! :)
Thema:

No more automatic game and app updates?

Loading...
  1. No more automatic game and app updates? - Similar Threads - more automatic game

  2. My games and apps showing more things then I do

    in XboX Insiders
    My games and apps showing more things then I do: Is this a bug ? Or is this a setting somewhere I can’t remove them and I only have 4 of these installed and when I go to uninstall it doesn’t work But shows I have like 10 games on that list...
  3. Available for XBOX Insiders: More Ways to Customize, Play, and Connect

    in XboX Insiders
    Available for XBOX Insiders: More Ways to Customize, Play, and Connect: [IMG] submitted by /u/GuruKronos [link] [comments]
  4. do games with langulage region restrict get more langulage options after convert to digital ?

    in XboX Insiders
    do games with langulage region restrict get more langulage options after convert to digital ?: Not high enough level to participate in this new feture, just wanna know if a game listed A B C D E language options on the digital version, but the disk I got only allow A&B language, do I get...
  5. Available for XBOX Insiders: More Control Over Captures, Saves, and Wishlists

    in XboX Insiders
    Available for XBOX Insiders: More Control Over Captures, Saves, and Wishlists: [IMG] submitted by /u/GuruKronos [link] [comments]
  6. XBOX Insider Update Adds More Personalization, Easier Social Discovery, and Energy-Saving...

    in XboX Insiders
    XBOX Insider Update Adds More Personalization, Easier Social Discovery, and Energy-Saving...: [IMG] submitted by /u/GuruKronos [link] [comments]
  7. Did AA batteries and the reused Xbox One UI hurt Xbox Series more than people admit?

    in XboX Insiders
    Did AA batteries and the reused Xbox One UI hurt Xbox Series more than people admit?: With the next Xbox generation getting closer, I keep wondering if Microsoft underestimated how important “next-gen identity” is for mainstream buyers. Do you think Xbox Series would’ve performed...
  8. More games with explicit content

    in XboX Insiders
    More games with explicit content: Should add more cloud games with explicit + sexual content that the lady wouldn’t know about submitted by /u/DragonfruitChance193 [link] [comments]
  9. Available for Xbox Insiders: More Groups on Home, Custom User Colors, Quick Resume...

    in XboX Insiders
    Available for Xbox Insiders: More Groups on Home, Custom User Colors, Quick Resume...: [IMG] submitted by /u/GuruKronos [link] [comments]
  10. Things to add/bring back for more customization and support

    in XboX Insiders
    Things to add/bring back for more customization and support: BRING BACK AVATARS FOR THE COMMUNITY TO CUSTOMIZE THEIR ACCOUNT. THINGS TO ADD- GOOGLE CHROME DOWNLOAD WOULD BE NICE. CUSTOM PROFILE THEMES ARE A GREAT ADDITION. MORE GAMES PORTED FROM PLAYSTATION...