No more automatic game and app updates?

Discus and support No more automatic game and app updates? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; My Xbone loses the TV signal as well but if I just hit some buttons (like the guide button) on my sat. remote it comes back on in a few seconds. Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by ZEISMAN, Jan 30, 2014.

  1. No more automatic game and app updates?


    My Xbone loses the TV signal as well but if I just hit some buttons (like the guide button) on my sat. remote it comes back on in a few seconds.
     
    Feral Boar 66, Feb 19, 2014
    #16
  2. storm44
    storm44 Guest
    Yes this is really disappointing. I don't play as much as I would like and when I do, I have to wait an hour plus for an update for some thing or other when this should have been done when away from the Xbox :-( and now like others it doesn't now turn the
    Tv on and off. Come on Microsoft this is just the basic's
     
    storm44, Feb 23, 2014
    #17
  3. Weird Cuz
    Weird Cuz Guest
    I'm having the same problem. The system updates seem to download just fine. I still have to wait for it to apply when I start up though. On the other hand, none of my games or apps have ever auto updated. I've talked to at least two friends who have to manually
    update games as well. I'm on a wired connection, NAT is open, I've tried the system reboot and made sure that I'm set up for instant on mode.
     
    Weird Cuz, Mar 5, 2014
    #18
  4. LogicGazer
    LogicGazer Guest

    No more automatic game and app updates?

    After talking with @XboxSupport again on Twitter they are saying that console updates are supposed to be automatic but games and apps are not. I thought automatic game and app updates was a feature of this system. The competition does this so maybe I was
    confused about the Xbox One doing it as well. But early on after getting my system on launch day I had apps and games telling me they were "ready to launch" in the notification center. This would appear after turning on the console after being off with "Instant
    On" enabled and "automatic updates" enabled. I assumed this was how the console notified me that an app was updated. This happened for the first month then it stopped happening. I had a big issues with my disc based games as well. Games I hadn't played in
    a couple days would be at the front of my games and apps list. And if I hit the menu key it would tell me to "try install again." I assumed this was also a way of the system telling me the update had downloaded and it needed to finish installing once I input
    the disc. I spoke with two friends tonight who said their Forza 5 was at the front of their games and app lists and waiting on the to put the disc in. This no longer happens to me. Is my system fine and there's isn't??

    Have I been mistaken that the Xbox One doesn't do auto updates for apps and games? This seems like a basic feature with the other systems today. Like I said before waiting to download huge updates in order to play is ridiculous.
     
    LogicGazer, Mar 12, 2014
    #19
  5. Jaymo1978
    Jaymo1978 Guest
    Okay, folks, I've found some interesting info, because my memory of the console's pre-update behavior matches what you've all mentioned. The system should be downloading both O/S AND game updates, not just system updates.

    Now, I know someone was snapped at earlier in this thread for suggesting checking an item in your settings, but I personally have noticed some settings getting reset to default options after an update. There are two specific places I would check to make
    sure you're still receiving background updates. According to this page:

    support.xbox.com/.../learn-about-power-modes

    even when "instant on" mode is selected, if the Power & Startup is set to "never turn off," then background updates won't download. The wording on this page is a bit fuzzy, but it makes it sound like you need to choose "turn off after 6 hours" or "1 hour,"
    in addition to being in Instant On mode.

    Also, the same page indicates "In order to have available downloads update automatically, you must select the option to automatically download updates in the Power & startup menu." I would check to make sure that option is still selected, even though it
    worked properly before. It does definitely say that without that option, "games and apps" may require an update/download.

    It's at least something worth checking! No more automatic game and app updates? :)
     
    Jaymo1978, Mar 12, 2014
    #20
  6. ZEISMAN
    ZEISMAN Guest
    Hi guys.

    First of all, I'm sorry to say this, but these Xbox Support Twitter people are worth NOTHING. I had a lot of discussions with them and they absolutely have no clue. We could do a better support...

    They told me the same. Only automatic dashboard updates. No game or app updates.

    But I can say, the X1 does this 100%! I talked to a support guy on the phone and he suggested to reset the console to factory defaults. I did this, but shortly after that I got the beta dashboard update. Now it's working for me again, but I can't tell if
    it's done by the reset or the update.

    Also there are no more notifications, that there has been an update like the "Ready to start" messages.

    But I can tell, that Peggle and the Twitch app, for example, were updated in background. This was obvious because of new functions.

    So what have we learned? Don't spend any time talking to the Twitter guys and if you still have the problem after the dashboard update, try a reset to factory defaults. No more automatic game and app updates? :)
     
    ZEISMAN, Mar 12, 2014
    #21
  7. Malacath
    Malacath Guest
    Ive been using instant on for a while now and automatic updates are working fine.

    Normally if I have to do a manual update its because the update was only released that day and my console hadnt got round to auto download it yet. I suppose they cant allow everyones console to download updates as soon as they release or it might cripple
    the the servers.

    So if you tend to play the same games every day it is more likely you will have to update manually due to the fact you are not giving it time to do it automatically.
     
    Malacath, Mar 12, 2014
    #22
  8. ZEISMAN
    ZEISMAN Guest

    No more automatic game and app updates?

    Malacath, that's not the problem. We've waited for days to get the updates. In some cases we knew, that there is an update and we gave the X1 so much time to install them in InstantOn mode.

    This feature was broken for sure. As I said, after the reset or after the update, it works again.
     
    ZEISMAN, Mar 12, 2014
    #23
  9. LogicGazer
    LogicGazer Guest
    My console is set to download updates automatically, Instant on is enabled and auto off is set to one hour.

    ZEISMAN, how are you? I've been contemplating a factory reset ever since my issues started. My one concern is that are my saves really backed up to the cloud on Live? I asked @XboxSupport twice only to never get an answer. What was your experience with your
    reset?

    Also I agree with what you said above. We are giving the console ample time to download game updates. If I see a post online for a game saying there's an update, I don't launch that game for several days on purpose to see if it will auto download. I did
    this for Peggle 2 and Killer Instinct most recently.

    But I am hesitant to do a reset to factory defaults and losing my save files. Without the option to back up to a USB stick, I'm really worried about doing it.
     
    LogicGazer, Mar 12, 2014
    #24
  10. ZEISMAN
    ZEISMAN Guest
    Hi Gazer!

    In my case, the cloud worked very well. After re-downloading every game and app again (what took me several days, because my internet connection is not too fast), every game synched after the first start. Took some time in some cases. But after that, everything
    was there. Just like before the reset. Absolutely no problems there.

    Even though I cannot promise that you won't have any problems, I think that you have a very good chance there. ;-)
     
    ZEISMAN, Mar 12, 2014
    #25
  11. LogicGazer
    LogicGazer Guest
    Also I was really hoping when I got the new dashboard update beta, it would fix my issues. It didn't. I just wanted to be sure I mentioned that. My console is up to date with the O/S but auto game and app updates still don't work.
     
    LogicGazer, Mar 12, 2014
    #26
  12. LogicGazer
    LogicGazer Guest
    I'm going to have to give it a shot then! Not sure when I'll have the time to do it, but I'm going to have to do it soon!

    Thanks for the reply.
     
    LogicGazer, Mar 12, 2014
    #27
  13. Blood Inside
    Blood Inside Guest

    No more automatic game and app updates?

    Since the march update I also have the same problem. Most annoying.
     
    Blood Inside, Mar 15, 2014
    #28
  14. Jaymo1978
    Jaymo1978 Guest
    Okay, this is a shot in the dark, but I just encountered something today. Has anyone on this thread checked their download queue on their console? I ask because, all along my updates have been downloading automatically, but today when I played BF4, I got
    a notice that it needed an update. I let it download and went into my apps to pick something else, where I discovered there were 2 items in queue (I only expected the one.)

    On checking the queue, 1 was my BF updated as expected. The OTHER was the Ryse expansion pack I triggered to download when I was away from my console. It was like that was waiting for me to okay it on the console before it would DL. Could it be possible
    that offline downloads "wait" in the queue and make other things wait in line behind it? So then, automatic updates may not trigger if something else is 1st in line waiting for us to verify it...?

    Like I said, shot in the dark, but this was my experience today....
     
    Jaymo1978, Mar 15, 2014
    #29
  15. Blood Inside
    Blood Inside Guest
    Be interested to know if anyone else has solved this via factory reset? I'd rather not go through with it if it's not going to work.
     
    Blood Inside, Mar 16, 2014
    #30
Thema:

No more automatic game and app updates?

Loading...
  1. No more automatic game and app updates? - Similar Threads - more automatic game

  2. My games and apps showing more things then I do

    in XboX Insiders
    My games and apps showing more things then I do: Is this a bug ? Or is this a setting somewhere I can’t remove them and I only have 4 of these installed and when I go to uninstall it doesn’t work But shows I have like 10 games on that list...
  3. Available for XBOX Insiders: More Ways to Customize, Play, and Connect

    in XboX Insiders
    Available for XBOX Insiders: More Ways to Customize, Play, and Connect: [IMG] submitted by /u/GuruKronos [link] [comments]
  4. do games with langulage region restrict get more langulage options after convert to digital ?

    in XboX Insiders
    do games with langulage region restrict get more langulage options after convert to digital ?: Not high enough level to participate in this new feture, just wanna know if a game listed A B C D E language options on the digital version, but the disk I got only allow A&B language, do I get...
  5. Available for XBOX Insiders: More Control Over Captures, Saves, and Wishlists

    in XboX Insiders
    Available for XBOX Insiders: More Control Over Captures, Saves, and Wishlists: [IMG] submitted by /u/GuruKronos [link] [comments]
  6. XBOX Insider Update Adds More Personalization, Easier Social Discovery, and Energy-Saving...

    in XboX Insiders
    XBOX Insider Update Adds More Personalization, Easier Social Discovery, and Energy-Saving...: [IMG] submitted by /u/GuruKronos [link] [comments]
  7. Did AA batteries and the reused Xbox One UI hurt Xbox Series more than people admit?

    in XboX Insiders
    Did AA batteries and the reused Xbox One UI hurt Xbox Series more than people admit?: With the next Xbox generation getting closer, I keep wondering if Microsoft underestimated how important “next-gen identity” is for mainstream buyers. Do you think Xbox Series would’ve performed...
  8. More games with explicit content

    in XboX Insiders
    More games with explicit content: Should add more cloud games with explicit + sexual content that the lady wouldn’t know about submitted by /u/DragonfruitChance193 [link] [comments]
  9. Available for Xbox Insiders: More Groups on Home, Custom User Colors, Quick Resume...

    in XboX Insiders
    Available for Xbox Insiders: More Groups on Home, Custom User Colors, Quick Resume...: [IMG] submitted by /u/GuruKronos [link] [comments]
  10. Things to add/bring back for more customization and support

    in XboX Insiders
    Things to add/bring back for more customization and support: BRING BACK AVATARS FOR THE COMMUNITY TO CUSTOMIZE THEIR ACCOUNT. THINGS TO ADD- GOOGLE CHROME DOWNLOAD WOULD BE NICE. CUSTOM PROFILE THEMES ARE A GREAT ADDITION. MORE GAMES PORTED FROM PLAYSTATION...