No format option for external hard drive.

Discus and support No format option for external hard drive. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi, when i plug in a external hard drive in my Xbox One the format option does not come up. It's a new drive, usb 3.0 and 3 tb and it is recognized as... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by FutureDegree334, Nov 27, 2016.

1. No format option for external hard drive.

Hi, when i plug in a external hard drive in my Xbox One the format option does not come up. It's a new drive, usb 3.0 and 3 tb and it is recognized as a media drive. No format option in manage storage, only view content. Tried hard resets, formatting to
    exFAT and FAT32 etc.

Does anyone have solution? Thnx!

:)

FutureDegree334, Nov 27, 2016
  2. Cant format hard drive

External hard drive added to xbox it reconises and shows for photo video and audio. No option to format to game and app use No format option for external hard drive. :( any ideas

Phil Lindridge, Nov 27, 2016
  3. Morbidpsycho
    Morbidpsycho Guest
    External Hard Drive

Not sure , I'll check and let you know what I find.

ok , I found out how to do it . Find the settings then go to System then from System find the column that has Storage listed at the top. Underneath it should have "Manage Storage" . Then when I click on that it says Storage Select a device to see its options and I have an Internal and my formatted X box external hard drive . Move the Highlight from the Internal to the External hard drive and click the "A" button on the controller and it brings up a list
    View Contents , Install here by default , Rename , and Format.
    So just highlight the Install here by Default and your games will install on the External hard drive instead of the Internal.

I hope this helps out .

Morbidpsycho, Nov 27, 2016
  4. EggsBoxJuan Win User

Hard Drive Issue

Power the xbox off by pressing and holding the power button on the front of the xbox for 10 seconds, disconnect the external drive, power the xbox on again and once it has fully booted up reconnect the external drive.

If that doesn't help you may be best formatting the hard drive again and starting over. Should you do that can you format the hard drive on your PC by the regular method rather than the disk management tools. Right click the hard drive on the desktop and
    select the format option.
  5. onyxishere Win User

120GB Hard Drive not recognised by Xbox 360 anymore...

Formatting the drive will not work nor will hooking up another external drive as you will only be granted 32 gb for external storage. As I said earlier, your only option here will be to purchase a new hard drive. Sorry.
  6. KrizanLovich Win User

Which external hard drive to use with Xbox 360 ?

as per the other comments about the use of the external hard drive for the 360 I am in the update preview program which allows additional External hard drives to be used.I purchased the same Seagate 2tb external hard drive as per my xboxone but when I apply
    the format on the xbox360 as per the instructions it replies with unable to format. Would like to know what external hard drives are compatible? I no the hard drive works as tried it on the xboxone after it would not format for the 360

thanks

NZ Racer
  7. StuartATrueRed Win User

KESU Hard drive not connecting to my Xbox One S

8. cbsstone Win User

Additional hard drive issues

The hard drive needs to be formatted via the onscreen option in the Xbox One menu when you plug it in. I have two Western Digital 4tb My Book external drives (I want to have plenty of storage) and for both drives I had to format them through the on screen
    options on the dashboard.
Thema:

No format option for external hard drive.

1. No format option for external hard drive. - Similar Threads - format option external

2. Can't format my Samsung T5 SSD for Xbox

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't format my Samsung T5 SSD for Xbox: Hello, I have a problem with my external SSD. I have an Xbox Series S, and my Xbox sees my external SSD Samsung portable SSD T5 with 2 tb but only for media, there is no option to use it for...
  3. New drive format options PLEASE

in XBoX on Consoles
    New drive format options PLEASE: So, a few minutes ago I went to change my install location for my games but here is one issue, mc c drive is full so, I went to change my drive location and, then it said that it needed to be NTFS...
  4. I do not see the "format" option on my external storage, for my xbox Series X

in XBoX on Consoles
    I do not see the "format" option on my external storage, for my xbox Series X: Hello! I've purchased a new external storage device (it is not a Seagate) for my Xbox Series X. Despite being able to identify it for media purposes, I can not format it for storing games &...
  5. Seagate Game Drive 4 tb only recognized as media device, no option to format it for games

in XBoX on Consoles
    Seagate Game Drive 4 tb only recognized as media device, no option to format it for games: Hi, i bought a new Seagate Game Drive 4 tb but i can't format it for game storage on the Xbox One because it doesn't give me the option to do it, it sees it as a media only device. All help is...
  6. Xbox one External Hard Drive no format option

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one External Hard Drive no format option: So I got a new Xbox One a while ago and I have ran out of space recently. I had a spare external hard drive laying around so I formatted it and plugged it in. I had the option to format it in the...
  7. No option to format external storage

in XBoX on Consoles
    No option to format external storage: I'm trying to use a Seagate 2TB Game Drive (it's even sold as for use with Xbox One/360). The console recognizes the drive as media storage, but provides no option to format it for games/apps use....
  8. Seagate 2TB External Hard drive not giving a format option on Xbox One

in XBoX on Consoles
    Seagate 2TB External Hard drive not giving a format option on Xbox One: I recently bought a Seagate 2TB hard drive and plugged it into the xbox one. It tells me that it recognizes it as far a media device and prompted me to download the media viewer, but never pops up...
  9. External HD detected as "Media" with no format option.

in XBoX on Consoles
    External HD detected as "Media" with no format option.: I got a Toshiba 5 TB HD USB 3.0, with its own power source, so supposedly meets the requirements as an external HD for Xbox One. Well, when I plug it in, the Xbox detects it, but it reads as a...
  10. Format option not present in memory options

in XBoX on Consoles
    Format option not present in memory options: Does anyone know why am I not being given the format option in the memory section of console settings? e6857314-161c-483e-a50b-ad8f0840cdea