Need help connecting to an Xfinity hotspot via macbook

Discus and support Need help connecting to an Xfinity hotspot via macbook in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello, A few months ago I followed a tutorial about how to connect to Xbox Live through a macbook hooked up to an Xbox with an ethernet cord. I could... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by SalmonTheColor, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Need help connecting to an Xfinity hotspot via macbook

Hello,

A few months ago I followed a tutorial about how to connect to Xbox Live through a macbook hooked up to an Xbox with an ethernet cord. I could connect to Xbox Live for a while but recently it stopped working. There is a Comcast Xfinity hotspot near my house
    that I use for internet and that I used to use for Xbox Live before it stopped working. I've tried a bunch of different tutorials around the web but none of them have fixed my problem. So far I've only gotten my Xbox to connect to the network and not the Internet,
    and that only happens when I set the IP Address of my ethernet cord on my macbook to the same as the Gateway on my xbox. I know the IPv4 addresses for Comcast's DNS servers but how should I configure the rest my network settings on my macbook and Xbox so that
    my Xbox can connect to the Xfinity network through my macbook? i.e. what should the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Gateway on my Xbox be and what should the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Router options in the network settings of my Macbook (Imgur: The magic of the Internet)
    be?

:)

SalmonTheColor, Mar 19, 2015
  2. PalZer0
    PalZer0 Guest
    MacBook problem

Is your 360 connecting to the Internet via Wi-Fi or via an ethernet cable? If connecting via Wi-Fi, the MacBooks may be interfering with the 360's wireless signal. That would cause you to disconnect from Xbox Live.

PalZer0, Mar 19, 2015
  3. Connecting to live via public hotspot.

I currently stay in a hostel with public wifi - this is an open network that redirects you to a login screen when you connect. The xbox views it as an open network and connects to it but it cannot connect to the internet because there is no prompt for my
    username and password. Any help on connecting to the net through a public hotspot would be appreciated!

PhilipWheeler, Mar 19, 2015
  4. Need help connecting to an Xfinity hotspot via macbook

Hey there, SalmonTheColor! I'm very sorry to see any issues with connecting through your Macbook! I do see that it was working previously; hopefully we can figure out what is going on!

The way you are set up, we generally don't suggest. Connecting through a wifi that isn't your own can cause its own issues, and going through a computer connection through an ethernet cable only works about half the time. Computers aren't designed to be
    routers full time, and the Xbox sometimes decides that it's not going to recognize that set up anymore. I am assuming that when you connect to the Xfinity hotspot with your Xbox, you are unable to do so because of the way it needs to connect via a webpage.
    Would I be correct?

My main suggestion is to start from the beginning. Reset all of the network options that you have on your Macbook back to defaults. Then follow he tutorials you had found previously.

If that doesn't work for you, or you've already tried that, I would make sure your console isn't having issues in general by taking it another internet connection. If it can connect up just fine with that, then I suggest
    contacting Apple support, as they may be able to assist you better with setting up that internet sharing option. If it doesn't work, then something is likely wrong with your console, and I suggest using our
    Online Service Center to set up a repair for you.

Our community in the networking forums are pretty awesome people. There may be a member that has more experience with Macs that may be able to better assist you if you do not want to reach out to Apple support. Hopefully one of these options gets you all
    sorted and you can enjoy your Xbox Live soon! Need help connecting to an Xfinity hotspot via macbook :)

Misses Quinzel, Mar 20, 2015
  5. Misses Quinzel Win User

Hey there, SalmonTheColor! I'm very sorry to see any issues with connecting through your Macbook! I do see that it was working previously; hopefully we can figure out what is going on!

The way you are set up, we generally don't suggest. Connecting through a wifi that isn't your own can cause its own issues, and going through a computer connection through an ethernet cable only works about half the time. Computers aren't designed to be
    routers full time, and the Xbox sometimes decides that it's not going to recognize that set up anymore. I am assuming that when you connect to the Xfinity hotspot with your Xbox, you are unable to do so because of the way it needs to connect via a webpage.
    Would I be correct?

My main suggestion is to start from the beginning. Reset all of the network options that you have on your Macbook back to defaults. Then follow he tutorials you had found previously.

If that doesn't work for you, or you've already tried that, I would make sure your console isn't having issues in general by taking it another internet connection. If it can connect up just fine with that, then I suggest
    contacting Apple support, as they may be able to assist you better with setting up that internet sharing option. If it doesn't work, then something is likely wrong with your console, and I suggest using our
    Online Service Center to set up a repair for you.

Our community in the networking forums are pretty awesome people. There may be a member that has more experience with Macs that may be able to better assist you if you do not want to reach out to Apple support. Hopefully one of these options gets you all
    sorted and you can enjoy your Xbox Live soon! :)
  6. Ryan Powell Zero Win User

I need help connecting to Xfinity hotspot

It’s an Xbox problem. You guys are the problem. I have the same issue. My Nintendo Switch can do it easily, but Xbox has problems doing it for Xfinity WiFi. Tell your Xbox team to fix it.
  7. Rostom L Win User

I need help connecting to Xfinity hotspot

Hi Nicoyia!

Is this your first time connecting your Xbox to Xfinity hotspot?
    To confirm, this hotspot is from a public location or place provided by the network? It’s not directly installed in your house?

I suspect that it’s an issue with the hotspot itself. It may not be fully compatible with gaming consoles.

You mentioned that you already performed a reset, was it a factory reset?

To further isolate the issue, try to connect to your console to a regular Wi-Fi network where you only have to enter an SSID key or Wi-Fi key.
  8. Misses Quinzel Win User

Xfinity Hotspot connection possible?

Hey, guys! MrNICE6UY420 posted a very helpful video for this situation. This thread is almost a year old. If you are still experiencing issues after following those instructions, please post up a new thread detailing what you're running into and troubleshooting
    you've completed. This way our community can get you the individual support that works best on the forums. :)
  9. MrNICE6UY420 Win User

Xfinity Hotspot connection possible?

Found this. Works easily

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=QwZ7VPiiN4OrgwTV74HoBw&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DGGS_5mYczHE&ved=0CCkQtwIwAg&usg=AFQjCNE_nccovHaeXbFbmJ3KHu0b3wK_QA&sig2=q91V2BM5iOrIpEHGjfEJQg
Thema:

1. Need help connecting to an Xfinity hotspot via macbook - Similar Threads - Need help connecting

2. Need help connecting these to play fh4 and fh5

in XboX Insiders
    Need help connecting these to play fh4 and fh5: Xbox series x wired controller and subsonic wheel rubber gear box and tab at left submitted by /u/SomebodystolemyBEANZ [link] [comments]
  3. I need help finding out which microsoft account is connected to my PlayStation account can...

in XBoX on Windows
    I need help finding out which microsoft account is connected to my PlayStation account can...: Basically my PlayStation account on minecraft Isn’t letting me sign in and I’ve tried multiple accounts to determine which one it is and its not even telling me which one it is. Can anyone please...
  4. Need mic / audio help! My mic connects, and I can hear game / party.

in XboX Insiders
    Need mic / audio help! My mic connects, and I can hear game / party.: However, I cannot speak, any help is massively appreciated. (Series S, hyper X mic if that’s of any help) submitted by /u/Accomplished_Cook508 [link] [comments]
  5. Need help fixing high latency on wired connection.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Need help fixing high latency on wired connection.: I have an Xbox Series S on wired internet connection, with a download speed of 300 MB and upload of 75 MB. My latency in Xbox Network statistics and in Halo Infinite is of 100-140 ms. It's...
  6. Need help connecting xbox console to the app

in XBoX Accessibility
    Need help connecting xbox console to the app: I cannot connect my Xbox to the app I click connect a new console and it says click yes or something idk on the console but it just doesn't show up pls help b27e6254-30b5-459a-9e98-3853694d4b79
  7. Need help accessing my email as my number isnt connected anymore

in XBoX Accessibility
    Need help accessing my email as my number isnt connected anymore: Need help accessing my email as my number isnt connected anymore i can give all my xbox details thats connected to account n the form dont work b1bf6457-bcc1-427c-b5be-25fdbe5fd4cd
  8. I need help. I'm trying to connect to my switch with my Microsoft account but when ever I...

in XBoX on Windows
    I need help. I'm trying to connect to my switch with my Microsoft account but when ever I...: I need help. I'm trying to connect to my switch with my Microsoft account but when ever I finish filling it out it takes me to an Xbox 8aa6ace2-1a33-4507-9e50-62116a14af83
  9. Need help finding my microsoft account connected to the gamertag Nutellalla

in XBoX Accessibility
    Need help finding my microsoft account connected to the gamertag Nutellalla: Hi I need help accessing my games associated with the gamer tag Nutellalla. I have migrated my Mojang account to my Microsoft account, but can't seem to login. I can play on my old laptop but not...
  10. My xbox 360 can't connect to xbox live, I need help please.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox 360 can't connect to xbox live, I need help please.: Hello Everyone, I just got a xbox 360 two weeks ago and it had no problem connecting to xbox live. Yesterday it disconnected me so I tried to test the connection and now it couldn't connect to the...