: My Xbox One X keeps crashing my home network

Discus and support : My Xbox One X keeps crashing my home network in XboX Networking Hardware to solve the problem; : My Xbox One X keeps crashing my home network A VPN most certainly does protect you from DDoS attacks. This also isn't the correct place to discuss... Discussion in 'XboX Networking Hardware' started by nvserg, Feb 13, 2019.

1. nvserg
    nvserg Guest

A VPN primarily is there to provide an encrypted tunnel between two endpoints. It has nothing to do with DDoS protection. The exit point of a VPN is still attackable via DDoS, and unless the Provider has some sort of DDoS protection, the VPN alone does nothing
    against a DDoS. And if the provider has DDoS protection for their customers, it doesn't matter if there is a VPN tunnel between the exit point and the user's router or not.

And since I'm in the role of a network engineer (among other things on my real job), I'd probably would also help OP on StackExchange or here in this very forum VOLUNTARILY be it as an Xbox Ambassador or not.

I hope you don't pay extra for the VPN, as Cookies are generated and stored on your PC, and would happen with or without VPN, as some websites actually need Cookies for stuff to work besides advertising tracking.

Also, advertising companies have already found more "persistent" and reliable means of identifying a user, than using cookies that anyone can delete via their browser settings or enabling "incognito" or "private" surfing.

For example, they just start a piece of JavaScript, and count how long your device takes to calculate something. This duration is more or less unique for your device, doesn't need cookies, and works in private and incognito browsing.

Again: The VPN doesn't protect you from those tracking issues. It's just that instead of "John Doe using Windows and an internal clock telling me that he's in the British Standard timezone, so he's probably in the UK since he's connecting via 'Ye olde British
    ISP'" the service will go "Oh, it's the same John Doe, still using Windows, and because of the time on his device he's still in the UK, but is using a VPN to make it appear he's from Botswana. Sneaky little rascal!"

Feel free to use VPN for whatever reason you think is right for you. But from the reasons you mentioned, I just recommend to save your money and prevent hassle from further issues regarding VPN usage. If VPN usage is free for your ISP plan, go wild. Use
    VPN as much as you like, but be aware that it won't help you with privacy issues.

But since your issue is resolved after resetting your router, I'll just leave it at that : My Xbox One X keeps crashing my home network :)

:)

nvserg, Feb 13, 2019
    Error:Failed to connect to localhost port 9200: Connection refused
Thema: