My Xbox one controller stopped working on the Xbox dashboard.

Discus and support My Xbox one controller stopped working on the Xbox dashboard. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I was playing halo and the game crashed. I was directed back to the dashboard, but then none of the buttons on my controller except for the home button... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Tyler Tola, Nov 22, 2023.

1. Tyler Tola
    Tyler Tola Guest

I was playing halo and the game crashed. I was directed back to the dashboard, but then none of the buttons on my controller except for the home button were working. I tried power cycling the controller, restarting the Xbox, nothing as worked. I left it alone for a few days, when I got home from work today, my two year old had turned on the Xbox so I turned on the tv to test the controller and somehow forza was launched. The buttons were all working perfectly fine within that game, but as soon as I hit the home button or try to navigate the dashboard, the buttons don’t work for that. I’ve seen other people having issues where the buttons work on the dashboard but not in game, I have not been able to find anything on the reverse, which is what I’m experiencing. Has anyone heard of this issue happening?

Edit: also is there a way for me to open other games w/o the controller so that I can see if it works in other games? I have no idea how my son opened forza but he did it without the controller. I think the disk is in there, but I’m not as familiar with the Xbox system because it’s not my main console.

:)

Tyler Tola, Nov 22, 2023
  2. taquito de bistej Win User

same thing happened to me just today, thanks bud. I tried updating my controller but it still wouldn't do anything, only way out of this is by just restarting your console, thanks for the info!!
  3. Tyler Tola Win User

Unfortunately, I have not previously connected my app on my phone to my console, and am now unable to do so without any controller input. The controller works just fine when I insert a game disk so that the game automatically launches. But as soon as I hit the home button and the home menu comes up, there’s no controller input except for the home button which will return me to the game. Is there any other way to update the controller firmware without the use of the controller itself?
  4. KhajiBower34 Win User

If you need to update your Xbox controller firmware and don't have access to another controller to do so

Use the Xbox Accessories app on Windows 10 If you have a Windows 10 computer, you can try updating the controller firmware through the Xbox Accessories app. Connect your Xbox controller to your computer using a USB cable and open the Xbox Accessories app. Under the "Controller" tab, you should see the option to update the controller firmware if an update is available.

Use a friend's Xbox console If you have access to a friend or family member's Xbox console, you can try connecting your controller to their console and performing the firmware update from there. Once you've completed the update, you can reconnect the controller to your own console.

If none of the above options are viable, you may consider visiting an authorized Xbox service center. There, trained technicians can help you update the controller firmware using their own equipment.
  5. KhajiBower34 Win User

Hello Tyler T, I am an independent advisor and I will be happy to help you today. My name is Khaji

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your Xbox One controller.

Restart your controller: Press and hold the Xbox button on the controller for about 6 seconds to turn it off. Then press the Xbox button again to turn the controller back on

Check your controller firmware version: On your console, go to “Profile & System,” select “Settings.” Then, under “Devices and connection,” select “Accessories.” On the “Xbox Wireless Controller” screen, select “…” to check the firmware version of your controller

Update controller drivers: If you're playing on a PC, make sure your Xbox One controller drivers are up to date.

As for your question about how to open other games without the controller, you can try using the Xbox app on your mobile phone as a remote controller for your Xbox. This app allows you to navigate the board and open games

Thank you very much for your patience and understanding! If you need anything else, do not hesitate to contact us again.
  6. Tyler Tola Win User

So I was able to download the Xbox accessories app on a windows 10 computer and perform the update on my controller. I tested it on the computer and all buttons were working properly, I even recalibrated it just to be safe. Unfortunately when I connected it to my Xbox again, there is still no controller input in the Xbox menus. Im beginning to think the problem is with the console and not the controller. Could this be possible?

Edit: I did a hard reset on my Xbox console and the issue was resolved. Previously when I was powering it down it was going into power save mode rather than turning completely off. Thank you for your input.
Thema:

1. My Xbox one controller stopped working on the Xbox dashboard. - Similar Threads - controller stopped working

2. The audio won't work on my Xbox and my controller won't stop pressing the fake A button

in XBoX on Windows
    The audio won't work on my Xbox and my controller won't stop pressing the fake A button: The audio does not play at all and my controller won't stop pressing A fakely. Is there a way to fix this? f85344fb-cd63-4abb-ac48-68a01636c631
  3. Some of the buttons on my Series X controller just stopped working...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Some of the buttons on my Series X controller just stopped working...: Hi! I was playing Forza Horizon 5 when I went back to the Home Screen to do something but after I did that my controller decided it didn't wanna respond to anything unless I was pressing the Xbox...
  4. Controller stops working in COD

in XBoX on Consoles
    Controller stops working in COD: Xbox 1 controller stops working in COD 3124af11-dc99-4735-8266-9fcf0de37f69
  5. Xbox Controller Share Button stopped working after Windows 11 KB5034204 Update

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Controller Share Button stopped working after Windows 11 KB5034204 Update: Recently, while I was playing with my controller on PC connected through Bluetooth, I noticed that the share button was not working, unless I connected it directly via cable. The only way I found...
  6. Elite Controller Paddles stop working

in XBoX on Consoles
    Elite Controller Paddles stop working: On my Elite Xbox controller the paddles have randomly stopped working. They used to work just fine no issues but all of a sudden the A stopped working and then all of them stopped. I’ve turned off...
  7. Some of my Xbox Series X|S controller buttons stopped working correctly all of a sudden?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Some of my Xbox Series X|S controller buttons stopped working correctly all of a sudden?: I don't have xbox console, only the controller. I use it to play games on my laptop (windows 10). I left the controller untouched quite some time (2 or 3 months without playing). when i came back...
  8. Why did my Elite Series 2 Controller suddenly stop working?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why did my Elite Series 2 Controller suddenly stop working?: Today I tried to to turn on my Elite Series 2 Controller and it didn't turn on, it was working perfectly fine yesterday, but now it just won't turn on. I use it with an Xbox Series X and i've used...
  9. My xbox series controller has randomly stopped working and will no longer work

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox series controller has randomly stopped working and will no longer work: I usually play on my pc with my xbox controller connected via USB. Today when hopped on and played for 2 mins, I've noticed none of my inputs were going through and the controller was not on. I...
  10. Both controllers and fanatec stopped working ?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Both controllers and fanatec stopped working ?: Has anyone ever experienced this before please? Very strange that it’s all stopped at the same time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! a3fa46d0-3467-4936-8610-5a6a130d48dc