My wired Xbox 360 controller isn't recognized by Windows anymore.

Discus and support My wired Xbox 360 controller isn't recognized by Windows anymore. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have a wired Xbox 360 controller and Windows 11. When I plug in the controller it says "USB device not recognized. The last USB device you connected... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Blapp Sad, Mar 15, 2024.

1. Blapp Sad
    Blapp Sad Guest

I have a wired Xbox 360 controller and Windows 11. When I plug in the controller it says "USB device not recognized. The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognized it."

I've looked all over online for any solutions. I've uninstalled drivers, devices, done a bunch of seemingly unnecessary steps but nothing has worked. When I look at the device in device manager, it says "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed), and for this reason I can't just update the drivers via the Xbox Accessories App because it doesn't even see the controller in the first place.

Plus, the controller works perfectly fine with my actual 360 console, it just won't work with my computer. All of my USB ports work perfectly fine, even with other wired Xbox One controllers, but I'd like to use my 360 controller, mostly because I prefer the feel of the grips, triggers, and joysticks, plus nostalgia.

The controller works fine, the USB port(s) work fine, I believe it's a Windows problem and I don't know how to work around it.

Thank you in advance, I hope the solution is as simple as the problem.

*** Move from Windows / Windows 11 / Devices and drivers ***

:)

Blapp Sad, Mar 15, 2024
  2. StuartATrueRed Win User

Can I use Original Xbox360 controller on pc (the controller of the xbox360)?

If the Xbox 360 controller is a wired controller, then the controller can be used on the PC, just plug it in the USB port, and it should recognize it and let you use it. If it is a wireless Xbox 360 controller, then you will need the Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows to connect the controller to your PC.
  3. Videea Win User

cant connect an Xbox 360 controller to PC windows 10 via cable

I have a VERY similar issue... i think you are talking about a wired 360 controller, but I am more specifically talking about a wired 360 guitar (controller). mine also is recognized by windows 10 as a 360 controller (not a guitar), and despite everything I do with them (i have 2)... it will not work on my xbox 1 x through windows 10 (and the xbox companion app built into windows 10). I was able to get my xbox 1 wired regular controller to work using windows 10. if you find an answer, please let me know, it will likely fix my issue as well, even though my issue is slightly different
  4. TinedPrince9938 Win User

Xbox 360 wired controller on Windows 10 not working

I definitely have a wired unit

windows 10 does not recognize it at all.

I tried installing the software that came with it - device not recognized

I tried uninstalling the software from the installation disc and just plugging it in as directed - - device not recognized

has anyone out there actually gotten the xbox 360 wired controller working on windows 10?

If there are updated drivers I cant find them anywhere
  5. Horox Win User

Wired Xbox 360 controller isn't recognized on Windows 10 PC

SOLVED.

I'm going to sound like an idiot here, but it seems that connection between the USB plug and Xbox plug was loose. I just reconnected them and everything works. Honestly I didn't even know that the wire was in two parts (original Xbox connector + PC USB connector).
    I feel dumb...
  6. Dmytro Ivasjuk Win User

xbox wireless controller and adapter problem

Hi, Dericka! When I connect it using wired connection (special xbox wire for this controller) windows 11 recognizes it like just "controller". That`s it.
Thema:

1. My wired Xbox 360 controller isn't recognized by Windows anymore. - Similar Threads - wired 360 controller

2. Xbox 360- Various Disconnects from Xbox Live with Wired Connection

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360- Various Disconnects from Xbox Live with Wired Connection: This is a bit long winded, but this is an accounting of what has taken place, and lead me here: I finished/100% a game on my Xbox 360 yesterday that was not back compat to the Series X. No...
  3. Xbox 360 wired controller keeps disconnecting on pc

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 wired controller keeps disconnecting on pc: I have an xbox 360 controller wired and it keeps disconnecting while playing a game, midway after 1-2 minutes. I have an HP victus 15.6 laptop with AMD Ryzen 7 5800H, RTX 3050 Ti, 8GB RAM (All...
  4. my wired xbox 360 controller wont work.

in XBoX on Windows
    my wired xbox 360 controller wont work.: hello i have a issue with my xbox 360 controller wired one everytime when i plug it in it blinks once but never works and when i plug it back in again it does the same thing but never works if you...
  5. Xbox 360 wired controller not connecting to Xbox 360

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 wired controller not connecting to Xbox 360: My brother got an xbox 360 from his grandad. It worked but the controller has a circular cable and couldn't plug into the console so we had to order an adapter, once we got the adapter it worked...
  6. Xbox 360 wired controller flashing 4 green lights

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 wired controller flashing 4 green lights: It's not working on both pc and xbox 360 all 4 green lights flash and not working IT'S A WIRED CONTROLLER e1a37e28-9e44-4552-8be8-0a10b7cecf34
  7. Xbox 360 Wireless Controller's wire to batteries got rusted away?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Wireless Controller's wire to batteries got rusted away?: My Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for PC has got a rusting at the wire end and its no longer turning on. I repaired at local electronic shop but still it turns off when I invert the controller. This...
  8. Xbox 360 wire controller for windows 10 not working right.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 wire controller for windows 10 not working right.: Okay I am having some issues here. Here is what I have tried Controller works but only 2 parts don't: L and R trigger and the D pad 1 controller: Rock candy 2 controller: Used Xbox 360...
  9. Xbox 360 Play and Charge USB Wire is not charging my controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Play and Charge USB Wire is not charging my controller: I just thought the controller needed to be charged so I use the usb wire and I hook it in the controller and no red light comes on it or anything I take the wire out and plug it into a different...
  10. XBox 360 Controller for Windows - Wire burned through

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBox 360 Controller for Windows - Wire burned through: I have been playing games on my Pc with my wired XBox 360 Controller when it suddenly stopped making inputs. Then I realised that there was a hole in the wire and smoke is coming out. I don't...