My chat mixer is grey and I can't hear game audio thru my headphones.

Discus and support My chat mixer is grey and I can't hear game audio thru my headphones. in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I've tried everything I've seen online. Updating the controller with the headphones plugged in, plugging in the headphones super slowly, nothing with... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Angel Dove, Feb 13, 2024.

1. Angel Dove
    Angel Dove Guest

I've tried everything I've seen online. Updating the controller with the headphones plugged in, plugging in the headphones super slowly, nothing with work. It's bugging the **** out of me. Help??

:)

Angel Dove, Feb 13, 2024
  2. Adam Sheetz Win User

Hello Angel D, thanks for reaching out in Microsoft community, I will be more than happy to assist you with your issue, I totally understand how frustrating this can be.

I need you to answer the following questions to help me assist you better,
    1. what's the type of your device?
    2. since when are you experiencing this issue?
    3. was it functioning normally before?
    4. did you make any changes before this issue appeared?

However, while you've tried some common troubleshooting steps there are still a few more options to try:

1. Reset the Xbox and Controller:
    -Power cycle: Turn off your Xbox completely by holding the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Unplug it from the power outlet for 30 seconds. Then, plug it back in and turn it on.
    -Controller reset, refer to your specific controller's manual for instructions on how to reset it.

2. Check Headset Compatibility:
    -Manufacturer website: Ensure your headphones are officially compatible with your Xbox model. Check the manufacturer's website or product documentation for confirmation.
    -If possible, try a different headset to see if the issue persists. This can help isolate if the problem is specific to your headset.

3. Audio Settings:
    -Output: Under Settings > Audio & video > Audio output, choose your headset as the primary output device.
    -Chat mixer: While the chat mixer being greyed out is unusual, try adjusting the settings within it if it becomes accessible again.
    e.g., switching between (Do nothing) and (Reduce game volume)

4. Try connecting your headset to the alternative controller port on your Xbox.

I will be waiting for your updates.
    Have a great day,
    Adam.
  3. UnboundAnthony Win User

Stereo headset randomly stopped working

Is their no type of mixer built in? .. Is this not something simple to impalement. in a System update ?? chat is unusable in game due to game audio overruling chat audio . plz fix this Xbox then I can chat with my mobile headphones till new headset gets
    here.
  4. BatchSnr Win User

Xbox Wireless Headset Chat Mixer not working

Thank you for that. Unfortunately it hasnt worked. I still cant hear any game chat, and the chat mixer is still greyed out.

I should point out that if I plug my wired headset into my wireless controller, I can hear chat.
  5. Freddy_twotimes Win User

Audio headphones/Turtle beach streaming mic

Hi there,

When the audio headphones are plugged into the AV receiver, there is game sound, but I cant hear anyone in my party chat. I only see their gamertag show up in the chat overlay. They hear me thru the stream mic just fine. In Halo 5, setting audio to Speaker,
    or to Headphones doesnt change anything.

If I plug the headphones into the Turtle Beach stream mic, its onboard amplifier does a decent job driving the audio headphones, since the stream mic is powered via USB, but the amplifier is low quality by comparison to my AV receiver. I only got the stream
    mic so I could use my AV receiver to listen to my audio headphones in online gaming. I never expected or planned on using it to power the headphones.

Can I even can plug the Sennheiser game headphones into the AV receiver and the Mic into the controller now? If this stream mic is already connected to the XBOX via USB, and chat is only available when the headphones are connected into the stream mic and
    both run to the XBOX wired via USB, is it correct to assume that PC gaming headphones with a built in mic also cannot be split (the mic connected to the controller and chat sound coming through the AV receiver)? Im starting to think both the headphones and
    the mic must be connected to the controller together, communicating to the XBOX wirelessly, or ill just get game sound through the headphones and no chat like I am niw with this set up?
  6. YeetisHelpis Win User

Audio

Hi there!

Getting game audio is dependent on what type of headphones you have. If you have stereo headphones and you plug into the 3.5mm port on the controller, you can access the chat mixer slider by pressing the Xbox button and select "Audio" in the System tab right
    under Settings. From there, the second slider down titled "Headset chat mixer" is where you control how loud you want the game audio compared to the chat audio.

Let us know if you have any questions!
    I did all the steps but there isint an option that is titled "headset chat mixer

"
Thema:

1. My chat mixer is grey and I can't hear game audio thru my headphones. - Similar Threads - chat mixer grey

2. My headset chat mixer is greyed out and i can only hear party audio

in XBoX on Consoles
    My headset chat mixer is greyed out and i can only hear party audio: The chat mixer is stuck to where i can only hear party audio and not game audio and i can change it because it’s greyed out. What do i do to fix it 543c397f-4ddd-4406-810f-50b5980e3283
  3. My headset chat mixer is greyed out and it won’t let me change it

in XBoX on Consoles
    My headset chat mixer is greyed out and it won’t let me change it: My headset chat mixer is greyed out and won’t let me change it 253dff7a-59b2-4900-b78c-eb3af230f1be
  4. headset chat mixer still greyed out?

in XBoX on Consoles
    headset chat mixer still greyed out?: ive tried every thing in the book to make the mixer turn on ive tried updating my controller with it plugged in, ive tried slowly putting it in and ive also tried to hard reset my xbox yet it...
  5. My headset chat mixer is all greyed out but I can change mic monitoring and headset volume

in XBoX Accessibility
    My headset chat mixer is all greyed out but I can change mic monitoring and headset volume: My headset chat mixer is all grey but I can change mic monitoring and headset volume eff0c504-891d-4e8e-9a44-3da0d42e30a6
  6. My chat mixer is greyed out and I have already updated my controller and I tried to update...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My chat mixer is greyed out and I have already updated my controller and I tried to update...: I was just playing Call of Duty MW3 and my headset started to bug out so I unplugged it then plugged it back in and then the chat mixer just was greyed out and I wasn’t before...
  7. My Xbox 1 S headset chat mixer is greyed out to the right, I don't know what to do.

in XBoX on Windows
    My Xbox 1 S headset chat mixer is greyed out to the right, I don't know what to do.: I don't know how to fix headset chat mixer when it's greyed out. I tried the update and used two different controllers but it still won't work. Any solutions? 3c15859a-7f68-4b92-ba4f-514bc1c1dafd
  8. GREYED HEADSET CHAT MIXER

in XBoX on Windows
    GREYED HEADSET CHAT MIXER: I dont want to sound like i haven't researched this, but it just wont budge. I've restarted my console and played with my settings as well as plugged my mic in slowly, yet neither seems to work. I...
  9. Headset Chat Mixer is Greyed out

in XboX Insiders
    Headset Chat Mixer is Greyed out: Discord audio will play through only the right hear of the headphones but all other audio (Spotify, Game Audio and Menu Audio) all play through the tv and headset chat mixer is greyed out...
  10. How to fix greyed out headset chat mixer

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to fix greyed out headset chat mixer: I have tried updating controller ,changing sound settings and cleaning headset pet that goes into controller, what should I do to fix it 9f76b94f-e87d-482b-8a6b-08bbf25df5f8