My 5tb external hard drive stopped working on my xbox one

Discus and support My 5tb external hard drive stopped working on my xbox one in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello, I need help...for some reason my 5tb stopped being recognized by my xbox one. These are the things I tried but still no luck. (my hard drive... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Hpalex607, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Hpalex607
    Hpalex607 Guest

Hello, I need help...for some reason my 5tb stopped being recognized by my xbox one.

These are the things I tried but still no luck. (my hard drive meets requirements, its 3.0 usb hard drive and its the only external hard drive connected)

1. I tried unplugging and plugging it in different usb ports on the console)

2. I tried power cycle down

3. changing the power management settings

4. resetting console.

*when I connect the hard drive after a console reset, the console recognize the hard drive but once I select Media option (its being used as MEDIA Use)…..Nothing, not showing up.

*if I reformat it to Game USE it shows up...but not for MEDIA!!! I want to use it as a Media device

5. I plug in a different, new hard drive (same type Seagate One Touch 5TB Model STKC5000601) but still nothing after selecting Media. but if I plug in a USB thumb stick 16gb and select media it shows up! Why not either of the 5tb hard drives??? I tried formatting the 5tb to either exfat or NTFS but the same issues remain after selecting Media Use, the hard drive doesn't show up.

Please help! I think this problem happen after installing the latest update (September)

Any Help will be appreciated, Thank you.

:)

Hpalex607, Nov 8, 2021
  2. fudge112 Win User

Xbox series S will not recognize any of the 3 external hard drives I have (Ive tried everything)

3. fudge112 Win User

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...3/27fe1011-78e7-4dda-b099-33edee544f36?page=2

Yes I have just posted this same exact Issue with my series s! I hope a patch is coming because this is ridiculous! Anyone with a similair issue please report this to microsoft so we can get them to officially fix this functionality breaking problem. And to make things worse there is no way to roll back to a previous update. I just wasted hours trying all sorts ways to fix this problem...
  4. Hpalex607 Win User

Hello Jesse,

I've done all those steps but no luck. For some reason its not doing anything after you click MEDIA USE and the hard drive never shows up.

I've even done a complete reset removing everything on hard drive and even plugin a new hard drive having the same issue. (exact same type of hard drive...I bought two from Costco but never opened the second hard drive until now).

As stated above, it worked before but stopped detecting the hard drive for MEDIA USE. I believe this happen right after I updated to the September updated. because after I updated the console and then later on in the day I turned it on noticing this issue.
  5. Jesse E' Win User

Hello, My name is Jesse. I'm an Independent Advisor and a member of the Microsoft community and I'd love to assist you today.

Here's what you can try https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-ne...

If that doesn't help, I'll suggest you try doing a factory reset keeping games and apps on your console. This will refresh the console and remove all potential bugs without deleting any game data.

- Press the Xbox button to open the guide.

- Select Profile & system > Settings > System > Console info.

- Select Reset console.

- Choose Keep Games and Apps

Once that is done, you'll need to sign into the console using your Microsoft account credentials. If the issue is with your console, that should fix it.

Hope this helps.

Jesse.
  6. Jesse E' Win User

Yes, I believe an update caused this issue Alex. Sadly there's nothing I can recommend further than to say hold on a bit, I believe a patch might be coming to address this.
Thema:

1. My 5tb external hard drive stopped working on my xbox one - Similar Threads - 5tb external hard

2. I Want To Use My External HDD On My Xbox One With My Windows PC However…

in XBoX on Windows
    I Want To Use My External HDD On My Xbox One With My Windows PC However…: I am thinking of using my External HDD that is currently formatted for my Xbox One with my Windows PC. I know the steps of going on disk management and creating a new volume but I was also...
  3. I just got a 5tb external hard drive and it is only showing 456.7GB of available storage?

in XBoX on Consoles
    I just got a 5tb external hard drive and it is only showing 456.7GB of available storage?: It was purchased from Walmart and everything looks to be original. Had the correct seal and says 5tb on it. 49ee7566-fc65-42c2-aef9-ed50d09771ff
  4. Can you use a Seagate Storage Expansion Card along with an WD_BLACK 5TB P10 Game Drive on a...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can you use a Seagate Storage Expansion Card along with an WD_BLACK 5TB P10 Game Drive on a...: I want to use a Seagate Storage Expansion Card and WD_BLACK 5TB P10 Game Drive for Xbox on the Xbox series X. Can this be done? Pilar 9a4900fa-7eb7-41d1-9aca-6b78fbe76152
  5. Is the Limited edition Gears 5 Razer Turret and 5TB HDD available in the UK?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is the Limited edition Gears 5 Razer Turret and 5TB HDD available in the UK?: Hello everyone, As the title says I'm wondering if/when the Limited Edition Gears 5 Razer Turret for Xbox One and the Gears 5 Seagate 5TB hard drive will be available to purchase in the UK?...
  6. Xbox One X (2-5tb HDD/1-2tb SSD)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One X (2-5tb HDD/1-2tb SSD): I know it has been said by so many fans at this point but I feel like it has fallen on deaf ears so I want to say it again. The Xbox One X needs a larger I'm out of space be it a larger hard drive...
  7. my seagate 5TB hard drive wont appear on my xbox

in XBoX on Consoles
    my seagate 5TB hard drive wont appear on my xbox: hey wondering if anyone could help me out i have a 5TB seagate back up plus hard drive ive been using for about 3 years now and today i turned my xbox on and it wont come up and it had alot of my...
  8. my seagate 5TB hard drive wont appear on my xbox

in XBoX on Consoles
    my seagate 5TB hard drive wont appear on my xbox: hey wondering if anyone could help me out i have a 5TB seagate back up plus hard drive ive been using for about 3 years now and today i turned my xbox on and it wont come up and it had alot of my...
  9. My Seagate 5tb expansion desktop will not stay connected to my Xbox one

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Seagate 5tb expansion desktop will not stay connected to my Xbox one: I have a Seagate 5tb expansion desktop HDD. I formatted it to my Xbox one as a media device so I could save and play my games on it. I had a connectivity issue so I bought a new usb 3.0 cable and...
  10. 5TB Hard Drive On Xbox One?

in XBoX on Consoles
    5TB Hard Drive On Xbox One?: If I buy this 5 TB hard drive for my xbox one -...