My 500GB HDD (not Slim) Reads Only 39GB After Format. What Am I Doing Wrong?

Discus and support My 500GB HDD (not Slim) Reads Only 39GB After Format. What Am I Doing Wrong? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I'd say the title, pretty much, explains everything that I am having trouble with. As far as I know, the cable is from Microsoft (label/logo and... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by HASENFANG, Apr 9, 2015.

1. HASENFANG
    HASENFANG Guest

I'd say the title, pretty much, explains everything that I am having trouble with.

As far as I know, the cable is from Microsoft (label/logo and all).

So, am I formatting it wrong? Or do I need to patch in something else I do not know about?

Thanks.

:)

HASENFANG, Apr 9, 2015
  2. heavensdevil
    heavensdevil Guest
    Have you tried changing the hdd?

I've not seen any videos of people taking apart the Xbox One yet but common guess is that there will be screws to hold the hdd in place. I wonder what kind of format does the hdd use, if the console will format it automatically.

heavensdevil, Apr 9, 2015
  3. smileskybird
    smileskybird Guest
    Got an external HDD finally, a couple newb questions....

I got a Seagate Backup Plus SLIM 1TB HDD because JB Hi Fi were having it on sell. I got it for my PC though since my HP Pavilion dv6 only has a 320GB file and only 55GB is left on it. My console quickly identifies it when I plug it in, and it's so slim.
    Comes with a loooonnnnnngggg 3 year warranty, not just a 12 month warranty.

External HDD's are handy, especially when Xbox 1 only has 500GB, and you can only use what 370GB of that. If you've transferred stuff from your consoles HDD to your external HDD, it should be safe to delete it (game files, I wouldn't try to delete or even
    go into system files if the Dashboard even allows you to which it probably doesn't. At Launch, Microsoft didn't even give software access to the Xbox 1's internal 500GB HDD, now they at least give you some access). You can also remove your HDD whenever you
    want, but avoid doing so when playing a game off the external HDD or when the game is downloading updates.

smileskybird, Apr 9, 2015
  4. dlCHIEF58
    dlCHIEF58 Guest

If you are using this as an external storage (as the 500GB is not officially supported for the original fat 360 model), then the maximum allowed partition for any drive is 32GB. The cable is meant only for transferring files from an old hard drive to a new
    one, not for using as an external drive. External drive support on the 360 is limited to 2 devices of 32GB maximum on each device - any additional space on a hard drive or flash drive is wasted.

dlCHIEF58, Apr 9, 2015
  5. dlCHIEF58
    dlCHIEF58 Guest
    Now for the good news I just read - the external storage on the 360 will be increased to 2TB in an upcoming update. Currently it is only to be available to 360 Preview members for testing, but will be coming to all users in a later update. I don't think
    the 360 transfer cable will work for this, you may need to get a USB-to-SATA (or IDE/ATA, depending upon drive used) to take advantage of this when it is released to the general public.

dlCHIEF58, Apr 9, 2015
  6. HASENFANG
    HASENFANG Guest
    Wait, so they never released an official 500GB HHD? I thought they did that a while back? So, there is no way to use this to increase my game holding? What's the largest? The 320? Also, by what you are saying, should I keep my 500GB for when the update comes?
    Or shoul I just sent this back to the owner (on ebay) and just get a smaller GB HDD for now?

HASENFANG, Apr 9, 2015
  7. Smwutches
    Smwutches Guest
    There is an official 500GB hard drive for the Slim, but not the older versions. However, if you purchased it from ebay, it is highly likely it's not an official hard drive. There were 500gb knock offs floating around well before the official ones were released.
    Ebay is not the most reliable place to purchase Xbox hard drives.

Smwutches, Apr 9, 2015
  8. HASENFANG
    HASENFANG Guest

Yeah, that i can agree to, heh. Anyway, from what dlCHIEF58 says, this does look promising:

majornelson.com/.../xbox-360-system-update-for-preview-program-members-now-supporting-2tb-hard-drives

So, what I might do it just keep the 500GB and wait till the external upgrade comes along. Then just format it to fit what they allow. Heck, might even get a larger one. That info does help. So, thanks.

HASENFANG, Apr 9, 2015
  9. dlCHIEF58
    dlCHIEF58 Guest
    On the original 360 model, the biggest officially supported drive is 250GB for internal use (or mounted on the case to be more specific). The drive you have is meant for use with the newer S and E versions of the 360 and mount inside the console. The way
    you are using it it is recognized as an external drive, which is currently limited to 32GB of storage on the 360. Xbox 360 Preview members (like myself) are currently testing the increased storage which will be released to all users later this year, as you
    have seen in the Major's blog post.

-

I just wanted to post this to clear up the remainder of your questions you posted earlier.

dlCHIEF58, Oct 31, 2018
  10. HASENFANG Win User

Yeah, that i can agree to, heh. Anyway, from what dlCHIEF58 says, this does look promising:

majornelson.com/.../xbox-360-system-update-for-preview-program-members-now-supporting-2tb-hard-drives

So, what I might do it just keep the 500GB and wait till the external upgrade comes along. Then just format it to fit what they allow. Heck, might even get a larger one. That info does help. So, thanks.
  11. dlCHIEF58 Win User

On the original 360 model, the biggest officially supported drive is 250GB for internal use (or mounted on the case to be more specific). The drive you have is meant for use with the newer S and E versions of the 360 and mount inside the console. The way
    you are using it it is recognized as an external drive, which is currently limited to 32GB of storage on the 360. Xbox 360 Preview members (like myself) are currently testing the increased storage which will be released to all users later this year, as you
    have seen in the Major's blog post.

-

I just wanted to post this to clear up the remainder of your questions you posted earlier.
  12. dlCHIEF58 Win User

Now for the good news I just read - the external storage on the 360 will be increased to 2TB in an upcoming update. Currently it is only to be available to 360 Preview members for testing, but will be coming to all users in a later update. I don't think
    the 360 transfer cable will work for this, you may need to get a USB-to-SATA (or IDE/ATA, depending upon drive used) to take advantage of this when it is released to the general public.
  13. HASENFANG Win User

Wait, so they never released an official 500GB HHD? I thought they did that a while back? So, there is no way to use this to increase my game holding? What's the largest? The 320? Also, by what you are saying, should I keep my 500GB for when the update comes?
    Or shoul I just sent this back to the owner (on ebay) and just get a smaller GB HDD for now?
  14. dlCHIEF58 Win User

If you are using this as an external storage (as the 500GB is not officially supported for the original fat 360 model), then the maximum allowed partition for any drive is 32GB. The cable is meant only for transferring files from an old hard drive to a new
    one, not for using as an external drive. External drive support on the 360 is limited to 2 devices of 32GB maximum on each device - any additional space on a hard drive or flash drive is wasted.
Thema:

1. My 500GB HDD (not Slim) Reads Only 39GB After Format. What Am I Doing Wrong? - Similar Threads - 500GB HDD Slim

2. I'm just wondering why my 500GB Xbox can only use 200GB , I understand about reserved space...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I'm just wondering why my 500GB Xbox can only use 200GB , I understand about reserved space...: Is this just how the Xbox is made now, to force people to pay an extra 400$ to play some of their games? 101b60ff-0803-4dc5-bc92-8ad645d6c617
  3. Is there a 500gb seagate expansion card selling in the Microsoft store.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is there a 500gb seagate expansion card selling in the Microsoft store.: Because everytime I check it’s only 1TB there but when I check in other stores they have them but they’re over priced. Also on the website it said they’re going for around $89.99 but again when I...
  4. They say if you have a 500gb system you can use about 465gb of it but mine says 364gb when...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    They say if you have a 500gb system you can use about 465gb of it but mine says 364gb when...: They say if you have a 500gb system you can use about 400 and something of it, but mine says 364gb when I have 500gb system??? bb4c6e65-0363-4115-9870-2544a6892030
  5. Xbox one original 500gb usb ports not working plus the sync button is not allowing the...

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox one original 500gb usb ports not working plus the sync button is not allowing the...: Hi i have a problem with an xbox one. none of the usb ports are working and also the Sync button is not working. Apart from this the xbox runs normal but after completing all soft rests without...
  6. XBox 360E w/OEM 500GB HDD will not play XBox games listed as compatible

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBox 360E w/OEM 500GB HDD will not play XBox games listed as compatible: I bought a used XBox 360E from Gamestop with an Microsoft OEM 500GB XBox S HDD installed. The 360E was manufactured in 2015 and various testing is marked as having been done by Gamestop on a...
  7. Is my 500gb HDD "official"? How do I tell?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is my 500gb HDD "official"? How do I tell?: hi all, I have tried researching my question online & have had no luck So I'm hoping someone here can tell me if there is a way to tell whether the 500gb HDD I just got for my Xbox 360 is an...
  8. 500GB External HDD on Xbox360 E

in XBoX on Consoles
    500GB External HDD on Xbox360 E: Hello Xbox community. My nephew just got a Xbox360 for Christmas. They bought him a 4GB model (I know, not enough space). So they went out and also bought a 2TB USB 3.0 External HDD....
  9. How meny full XB1 games you have installion on 500GB HDD.

in XBoX on Consoles
    How meny full XB1 games you have installion on 500GB HDD.: If that $25 XBOX gift card come in from FEDEX today. I could have 34-35 full games. bdf734ca-e204-4860-a9bc-b1d37c2d75ba
  10. 500gb hdd for 360

in XBoX on Consoles
    500gb hdd for 360: I was wondering how I would go about transfering my data from the 320gb hdd to the 500gb hdd and the xbox 360 I have is the MW3 edition 5dccfcf4-da7d-4adc-aece-0bc397383c36