MS Store or xBox app on Windows 11 can't change installation path from drive С to drive D

Discus and support MS Store or xBox app on Windows 11 can't change installation path from drive С to drive D in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; There is a game in the MS Store - A Plague Tale: Requiem - Windows Available with xbox game pass ultimate subscription Installed on one laptop... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by UltraMaxOld, Jul 19, 2023.

1. UltraMaxOld
    UltraMaxOld Guest

MS Store or xBox app on Windows 11 can't change installation path from drive С to drive D

There is a game in the MS Store - A Plague Tale: Requiem - Windows

Available with xbox game pass ultimate subscription

Installed on one laptop drive C, everything is fine

And I'm trying to install it on the other PC, there are two disks there. Disk C is almost full (Microsoft Flight Simulator is installed on it), but Drive D has almost 300 Gb free

When I try to install, MS Store says - select the disk where to install, and I have the option to install on D, but when I select it it switches back to Drive С immediately

When I use xBox app trying to install on drive В I get an error 0x8007002

How do I fix the error and install the game on Drive В, I've tried switching in Settings but there is also an issue with switching back to Drive С (just does not let to switch to drive В though it's in the list)

Any ideas?

:)

UltraMaxOld, Jul 19, 2023
  2. Kathy A. Win User

Good day!

We haven't heard from you in 72 hours, so we will consider your issue resolved. If you do need further help, please create a new thread to discuss your concerns through this link: Create a new question or start a discussion (microsoft.com), as we will not be monitoring this thread going forward.

[​IMG]

Thank you for your understanding.

Respectfully,

Microsoft Community Moderator
  3. Kathy A. Win User

Hello UltraMaxOld,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand that you are trying to add your game on other drive. Let us check on this together and sort this out in timely manner for you to get back to gaming. If your drive is already formatted as NTFS you can skip the steps below.

There is a possibility that the format of your drive is to be different from NTFS. In that case, we recommend you check or follow the steps below to format your drive.

1. Plug the USB drive or external storage device into your Windows 10/11 PC.
    2. Open File Explorer.
    3. Right-click your USB drive or external storage device.
    4. From the pop-up menu, select Format.
    5. In the File system dropdown menu, select NTFS.
    6. Select Start to begin formatting.

Source: How to format a USB flash drive or external storage device to NTFS on Windows | Xbox Support

We have details we would like to ask:

Can you provide us the error message you are getting on PC Settings? Please conceal your personal information like email and full name.

Have you tried changing the Xbox app games installation location? Please follow the steps below:

1. Go to PC Settings and select System.
    2. At the left side, please select Storage and scroll down on the options on the right side.
    3. Look for Change where new content is saved. This will take you to a selection of drive and on the Change the New apps will save to - please select Drive B.
    4. Launch Xbox app and go to settings.
    5. Look for general and under Game Install Option, please select Drive B.
    6. Then, no need to change folder, as this will default to B:\XboxGames. Should you wish to rename XboxGames, you may select Change Folder.

Overall, the steps in storing your Xbox games on different location or hard drive is to format your drive to NTFS. Next, change your PC Settings storage into Drive B and lastly, update your Xbox app game installation option to the same drive. In any case you encounter any issues with Xbox app, we recommend you perform these troubleshooting:

1. Restart device -
      • This will clear your computer’s memory/RAM.
    2. Keep your Windows updated -
      • Install PC updates including Optional Update. Guide - Update Windows
        • Settings > Update & Security (Windows 10) or Windows Update (Windows 11) > Check for updates > download updates and install > restart device and wait for the update to be done.
      • If you have issues with update, please check the troubleshooting steps available here - Troubleshoot problems updating Windows.
    3. Update Xbox app and Gaming Services from Microsoft Store
      • Launch Microsoft Store app on Windows by searching it on Windows search bar.
      • Select Library > Updates & downloads > check if an update is available for the Xbox app or Gaming Services app.
      • If an update is available, select Update.
    4. Make sure you are signed in to Microsoft Store and Xbox app with the same credentials.
    5. Uninstalling and reinstalling Gaming Services.
      • Right-click the Start button and select Windows PowerShell (Admin).
      • Type this command one at a time, press enter and wait:
        get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers
        start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN
      • Install the app on that page and select Yes when you receive the User Account Control (UAC) prompt.
      • Restart your device and try to install the game again
    Source: Troubleshoot issues with the Xbox App for Windows

We look forward to your response. Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Community Moderator
  4. andersonpassos Win User

How to install sea of thieves If there wont ever be enough space on C drive

Thank you for contact us! I'm Anderson, an Independent Consultant and a Microsoft user like you.

good evening

You can try the following steps to install Sea of Thieves on a different drive:

Create a symbolic link (also known as a "junctions") between the folder where Windows Store installs apps on the C drive, and a folder on the D drive. This tricks the Windows Store into thinking the app is installed on the C drive, when it's actually on the D drive.

Uninstall Sea of Thieves from the Windows Store, if it's already installed.

Open an elevated Command Prompt window (right-click the Start button and select "Command Prompt (Admin)").

Run the following command to create a symbolic link:

mklink /J "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SeaOfThieves_1.0.29.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe" "D:\SeaOfThieves"

Close the Command Prompt window and open the Windows Store app.

Reinstall Sea of Thieves and it should install to the D drive, using the symbolic link created in step 4.

This should resolve your issue and allow you to install Sea of Thieves on the D drive.
  5. WRX4life300 Win User

Forza Horizon 3 Will not download

Found the problem. Had to change the default save location for apps from the windows store from my main drive (C:) to my game drive (D:). There appears to be a problem with the drop-down menu save location. Now it is installing without issue
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

New OS disk with Games installed on DATA drive and XBOX App cant see them

In this example, the external drive is D:\

Nearly all Windows Apps and games are installed to a protected and encrypted folder called WindowsApps.

If you've taken your D:\ drive from either another PC or you have installed Windows 10 again from scratch, your previous WindowsApps folder will no longer be accessible and Windows 10 will not be able to access or install Windows Store Apps and games to this drive. To use this drive for Windows Store games and apps, it will need to be deleted.

Please follow this guide to help you delete your current WindowsApps folder. Once done you will also need to the delete two additional folders called 'WpSystem' and 'WUDownloadCache'. These folders are not protected so should easily be removed.

Once your old folder is deleted you should be able to change the drive Apps are installed to in Windows 10 to the D: drive. Doing this will create a new WindowsApps folder on your drive.

Please let us know how you get on.
Thema:

1. MS Store or xBox app on Windows 11 can't change installation path from drive С to drive D - Similar Threads - Store app Windows

2. Windows Store and Xbox app not working properly, how to fix?

in XBoX on Windows
    Windows Store and Xbox app not working properly, how to fix?: Hi, I've been trying to install the Minecraft Launcher for a while now, but every time I try, the install button is just greyed out. If I wait for around 5 minutes, it takes me to the "We'll...
  3. windows 10 my forza horizon 4 what from Microsoft store i cant login in to xbox app and...

in XBoX Accessibility
    windows 10 my forza horizon 4 what from Microsoft store i cant login in to xbox app and...: windows 10 my forza horizon 4 what from Microsoft store i cant login in to xbox app and forza horizon 4 beacuse its write for me that "you may not proceed without being signed in to a profile"...
  4. Windows 11: Cannot Switch Microsoft Accounts in Microsoft Store or Xbox App

in XBoX Accessibility
    Windows 11: Cannot Switch Microsoft Accounts in Microsoft Store or Xbox App: As the question suggests account switching is not happening in the MS Store or in the Xbox app. I wanted to have a separate account for gaming and another one for my work purposes. Need both to be...
  5. Unable to download Starfield via Game Pass on Windows 11 Xbox App and Windows Store

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Unable to download Starfield via Game Pass on Windows 11 Xbox App and Windows Store: Hi. I bought game pass (not Ultimate) a few weeks ago, and hoped to be able to download Starfield ahead of its release on the 6th Sept (tomorrow). However, there seems to be a bug on my...
  6. Xbox app and Gaming Services not installing from Windows Store

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox app and Gaming Services not installing from Windows Store: I have been trying for a solid two weeks to get the Xbox app to allow me to install and play games. For the last year up until about two weeks ago it was working fine but out of the blue it...
  7. apps wont update windows store

in XBoX Games and Apps
    apps wont update windows store: i am unable to use the xbox app amazon prime app among others each needing an update and when going to the microsoft store I get an error for every app saying something went wrong on our end this...
  8. Windows Xbox App: Your Microsoft Store account must match your Xbox account

in XBoX Accessibility
    Windows Xbox App: Your Microsoft Store account must match your Xbox account: My Windows Xbox app is stating "Your Microsoft Store account must match your Xbox account". It is not letting me play cloud games because of this. I am also unable to stream from my Series X...
  9. Windows Store Apps isn't running at a high FPS

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Windows Store Apps isn't running at a high FPS: Hello, I am using Windows 10 since 2016 and I always tried to use Windows Store's apps so I can get the best support for my apps, like GeForce Experience, Xbox Game Bar, etc... But one thing I've...
  10. Window store and Xbox app freezing after loading/opening the app.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Window store and Xbox app freezing after loading/opening the app.: Hence the title, my windows store, and Xbox app freeze when I open them, and this happened after I've updated my BIOS to the newest one for the Ryzen 9 5900x so I can use it. Are there any fixes...