MS collecting data for political ads on Xbox Live

Discus and support MS collecting data for political ads on Xbox Live in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; [quote user="Codex B"]X1 sales most certainly are comparable with LIVE subscriptions.[/quote]No, they're not. I bought an Xbox One. I was an existing... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Listed mia 510, Mar 8, 2014.

  1. IceStorm III
    IceStorm III Guest

    MS collecting data for political ads on Xbox Live


    [quote user="Codex B"]X1 sales most certainly are comparable with LIVE subscriptions.[/quote]No, they're not. I bought an Xbox One. I was an existing Live Gold subscriber. My purchase does not beget Microsoft an extra Gold subscription. The people I know
    who bough Xbox Ones were also existing subscribers to Gold.

    The only way your statement is true is if you have data that shows that the vast majority of Xbox One buyers were not already Xbox Live Gold members. You don't have any data to support your position.
     
    IceStorm III, Mar 9, 2014
    #16
  2. xXCamhawkXx
    xXCamhawkXx Guest
    Dude it is not a direct cause and effect. The sales numbers to which you refer are numbers of Xboxs MS shipped/purchased meaning all of the Xboxs the retailers have bought not specifically purchased by customers.
     
    xXCamhawkXx, Mar 9, 2014
    #17
  3. xXCamhawkXx
    xXCamhawkXx Guest
    affect not effect... my bad
     
    xXCamhawkXx, Mar 9, 2014
    #18
  4. xXCamhawkXx
    xXCamhawkXx Guest

    MS collecting data for political ads on Xbox Live

    had it correct the first time... MS collecting data for political ads on Xbox Live :)
     
    xXCamhawkXx, Mar 9, 2014
    #19
  5. I never did like talking about sales because they can get nasty. You guys shouldn't talk about it either - after all, what's the point? Your end goal? There isn't 1 (that can end positively anyways). The bottom line is that MS is doing quite well selling
    its product & it's going to continue as a company to find new ways to advertise, reach its consumers, & continue making money - just like EVERY OTHER COMPANY EVER.
     
    Galactic Geek, Mar 9, 2014
    #20
  6. BrianGunter
    BrianGunter Guest
    Chances are you'll continue to subscribe in the future, so your purchase certainly will have an effect over the years. There's definitely a MUCH bigger chance that you and your friends will resubscribe than there is for a PS4 owner that doesn't also own
    an X1.

    Less console sales = less LIVE subscriptions. More console sales = more LIVE subscriptions. If 100 people buy the X1 then that's 100 potential subscribers. If 50 buy it, that's only 50 potential subscribers. I don't know how I can make that any easier to
    understand.
     
    BrianGunter, Mar 9, 2014
    #21
  7. BrianGunter
    BrianGunter Guest
    And just to add... While your subscription status may not have an immediate effect, on the flip side of that coin, those who have switched to the PS4 right now obviously aren't going to resubscribe to LIVE. So if the current sales trends continue then the
    number of LIVE subscribers is going to start going down fairly quickly. I'm not quite sure why you think console sales aren't going to have an effect on LIVE subscriptions when obviously people aren't going to renew an existing subscription or purchase a new
    one when they don't have a console to use it on.
     
    BrianGunter, Mar 9, 2014
    #22
  8. Kiddeth
    Kiddeth Guest

    MS collecting data for political ads on Xbox Live

    Who cares, seriously this is a non issue. sounds like some people are just trying to make mountains out of mole hills.
     
    Kiddeth, Mar 9, 2014
    #23
  9. Dakrkplayer2
    Dakrkplayer2 Guest
    I would not mind polical ad's. If they only talk about themself. And not put down other person. And all contender has fair covered. And not one sided. And debeat will have time where the people ask the question and not the media.
     
    Dakrkplayer2, Mar 9, 2014
    #24
  10. The issue here is not placing a political ad on Live, but collecting my data, selling it, and then using it to "target" me - without my permission. The particular group MS was soliciting happens to be very conservative and they are last people I want an
    ad from, but I don't want a liberal group ad, either. It's one thing to see a gaming ad, because I'm a gamer and I'm interested in games. It's another to see a political ad because MS thought I was this or that. It's none of their business and doesn't belong
    on my XB1.

    PS I posted on the XB1 forum because that's the console I own.
     
    Rustybug-A51A8BDD-51E1-4AE4-950A-50A5827D7BE8, Mar 9, 2014
    #25
  11. kingvas78
    kingvas78 Guest
    Rusty, you pay a subscription to have access to Live. You are paying to access what ever MS feels like showing you..... It will belong to any MS product that requires a subscription.
     
    kingvas78, Mar 9, 2014
    #26
  12. I'm aware of that, but this latest foray into collecting data (also from public sources not related to my subscription) and pushing ads not related to gaming, is enough to make me consider canceling my Live account.
     
    Rustybug-A51A8BDD-51E1-4AE4-950A-50A5827D7BE8, Mar 9, 2014
    #27
  13. IceStorm III
    IceStorm III Guest

    MS collecting data for political ads on Xbox Live

    [quote user="Lestat573"]I'm not quite sure why you think console sales aren't going to have an effect on LIVE subscriptions when obviously people aren't going to renew an existing subscription or purchase a new one when they don't have a console to use it
    on.[/quote]The Xbox One did not magically render the 80+ million existing 360 consoles inoperative. It also didn't put a stop to MS's plan to sell another 25 million 360 consoles over the next several years.

    People have a Microsoft console worth keeping Live on - the Xbox 360. Microsoft plans to continue selling the 360 for the foreseeable future.[quote user="Rustybug"]The issue here is not placing a political ad on Live, but collecting my data, selling it,
    and then using it to "target" me - without my permission. [/quote]You gave Microsoft permission. You have a Live account. You agreed to the Terms of Service, including the

    Privacy Statement
    .
     
    IceStorm III, Mar 9, 2014
    #28
  14. kingvas78
    kingvas78 Guest
    Rusty, every morning I drive to work I am inundated with propaganda (billboards).... things I don't agree with. I carry on, and don't really care.... as for Xbox ads, I have yet to even watch one (no pun intended)
     
    kingvas78, Mar 9, 2014
    #29
  15. BrianGunter
    BrianGunter Guest
    I never said it rendered any 360's inoperative, in any way. Like I said before, I really can't explain things any more simply than I already have. I'm really not sure why it's such a hard concept to grasp, but I'm not going to waste more time trying to explain
    it.
     
    BrianGunter, Mar 9, 2014
    #30
Thema:

MS collecting data for political ads on Xbox Live

Loading...
  1. MS collecting data for political ads on Xbox Live - Similar Threads - collecting data political

  2. XBOX Insiders Can Join the Chicken Invaders Collection Preview Today!

    in XboX Insiders
    XBOX Insiders Can Join the Chicken Invaders Collection Preview Today!: [IMG] The chickens are invading, and we need your help! XBOX Insiders can join the Chicken Invaders Collection preview today. Check the XBOX Insider Hub to join. Jump in, take on the invasion,...
  3. Cloud survey issue prevents accurate data collection.

    in XboX Insiders
    Cloud survey issue prevents accurate data collection.: When taking a post-session survey, unable to check boxes. This may be a public/backend issue. Will tool report on reproduction. submitted by /u/Ouglee [link] [comments]
  4. Please fix max payne 1 on Xbox series x please I have the whole rockstar collection and...

    in XboX Insiders
    Please fix max payne 1 on Xbox series x please I have the whole rockstar collection and...: Can anyone at Xbox fix this and don’t delete my post submitted by /u/LooeDavison1999urfav [link] [comments]
  5. New ROG Xbox Ally Updates: Docking Improvements, Auto SR Preview, Collective Library,...

    in XboX Insiders
    New ROG Xbox Ally Updates: Docking Improvements, Auto SR Preview, Collective Library,...: Xbox Insiders with a ROG Xbox Ally X enrolled in the PC Gaming Preview can access new features starting today! Be sure to read the blog post at the link for more information. submitted by...
  6. Xbox research program, dscount, collecting data on application.

    in XboX Insiders
    Xbox research program, dscount, collecting data on application.: Why does the application form, first ask for email address and name before telling you if you can put in the list. It looks like they collect personal information, including employment and...
  7. Problem With Ezio Collection Not Launching on Xbox One

    in XboX Insiders
    Problem With Ezio Collection Not Launching on Xbox One: I got the Ezio Collection after having too many problems with both my physical and digital versions of Assassin's Creed 2, which is super annoying after going through the OG Assassin's Creed with...
  8. NFS Unbound Palace Edition + Ultimate Collection Upgrade DLCs Not Working on Xbox Cloud Gaming

    in XboX Insiders
    NFS Unbound Palace Edition + Ultimate Collection Upgrade DLCs Not Working on Xbox Cloud Gaming: Hello, I’m having an issue with NFS Unbound on Xbox Cloud Gaming where my purchased DLCs are not working. I own both: NFS Unbound – Palace Edition NFS Unbound – Ultimate Collection Upgrade...
  9. Solitaire collection error code 121010 solutions listed not working.

    in XBoX Games and Apps
    Solitaire collection error code 121010 solutions listed not working.: I am playing solitaire collection on my mobile device. When I open the app I am greeted with the pop up box that provides a link as well as the error code 121010. The error code is for...
  10. they collect data my xbox said when i turned it on after registration

    in XboX Insiders
    they collect data my xbox said when i turned it on after registration: so do they see what porn i watch too dont be shocked i just registered today turned xbox on and it told me it collects data submitted by /u/Obvious_Local1769 [link] [comments]