Mp4's won't play from usb

Discus and support Mp4's won't play from usb in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I have never tried until recently to play mp4 videos on my 360, though I have two consoles, one a launch model still working fine and the other an... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Ruhka, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Ruhka
    Ruhka Guest

I have never tried until recently to play mp4 videos on my 360, though I have two consoles, one a launch model still working fine and the other an "elite" I purchased in 2007. (came to this point due to the proprietary crap on the ps3...perhaps
    I'm naive to think it's better or less so on 360?
    ) only to discover that my 360 recognizes the videos, however won't play them. It seems regardless of storage device, ie thumb or external hard drive on my 360. I suspect it has somthing to do with
    the codecs, so I should be able to download these right? I do not have internet to my 360 nor an xbox live account, never have had, don't ever intend to since it has seemed unnecessary as I play only campaign/single player games, therefore all past/present
    updates have been done via game discs or prior updates via "xbox magazine" demo discs. I've located in the support section of this site a media player "update" but it seems I need a live account to do so...to which I said "that can't
    be, seems ridiculous, but oh well I'm sure there is alternatives
    ". What are my alternatives? Can I not download an update to a thumb and load it via the usb?

:)

Ruhka, Jul 30, 2014
  2. smileskybird
    smileskybird Guest
    Does Xbox One Play MKV Video Files?

I've never heard of MKV files. I know if I transfer AVCHD files or from my Sony CX190 camcorder, or MPEG-2 TS files from my Hauppauge Capture software, that those files won't play if I transfer to USB to my Xbox 360 slim console. MP4 is like a widely accepted
    format. My Samsung S5 when connected to my PC allows me to convert non-MP4 files into wvs (or what ever it's called) from my PC to my phone will only play MP4 and WVS files.

smileskybird, Jul 30, 2014
  3. VytoG
    VytoG Guest
    Media Player and MP4's

Greetings...

Does the XB1 Media Player support MP4's ? It sees the WMV files on my Media Server, but not the MP4's.

TIA

Vyto

VytoG, Jul 30, 2014
  4. Mp4's won't play from usb

Hey there Ruhka

Welcome to the Xbox Live forums

After reading through your question, it seems that this could be because you have not updated your Xbox 360 in a while. Which could explain why you are not able to play .mp4 media files on your 360. Now, in regards to your question:[quote user="Ruhka"]

Can I not download an update to a thumb and load it via the usb?

[/quote]

You can download recent Xbox Live Updates onto your Xbox 360 via a USB Storage device. However, there could be some updates that you can't download onto your Xbox without connecting it to Xbox Live. You can download the latest Xbox Update for Xbox Live via
    this link here.

That may work for you. It just downloaded it to my Computer, however if you follow the instructions in the article as well. You should be all set.

Now, I am also thinking that you will need to download Xbox Video onto your Xbox 360. As this plays users personal videos as well as movies and TV shows from the Video market place. To download Xbox Music Video, you will need to connect to Xbox Live for
    that. Alternatively, it may play on your Xbox 360 using Zune.

Please let me know how that goes for you anyway

Regards,

Nathan Roberts (SunkNath), Jul 31, 2014
    Error:Failed to connect to localhost port 9200: Connection refused
Thema: