Microsofts Account Recovery Process is not keeping up with the times.

Discus and support Microsofts Account Recovery Process is not keeping up with the times. in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; Recently my son was phish through discord and had his Microsoft Account immediately hijacked. Although he had two step verification on, he did not have... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by Markus Orchowski1, Jan 5, 2024.

1. Microsofts Account Recovery Process is not keeping up with the times.

Recently my son was phish through discord and had his Microsoft Account immediately hijacked. Although he had two step verification on, he did not have additional MFA protection, however I don't think that would have helped.

Immediately after the successful phishing attempt, the hacker added their email address to the Microsoft Account, set it to the primary and removed his email account. He was notified of these changes with emails saying that if this was not his intention to sign in and review login activity. Unfortunately the hackers worked so quickly that once he received the email and attempted to sign in within 2 minutes of the attack, the account was already gone.

Now Microsoft offers one and only one method to recovery Microsoft accounts. That is the automated tool that is severely lacking and makes hijacked account impossible to recover. The problems are the following:

• accounts with multi-step authentication are not recoverable
    • the tool ignores login history
    • Microsoft Allows email addresses with the account to swapped out and reused instantly

According to this site: How to Reset & Recover Microsoft Account - Microsoft Community if the account has multi-step turned on, the recovery tool will not proceed. This one step which is enabled by default on all accounts, means that all Microsoft Accounts are not recoverable.

The tool also says that you should use the same computer as you had been using to. Presumably Microsoft maintains a record of login information such as computer and IP Address. If an account had been logged into every day from the same computer and IP address for 4 years and then it changes to something different, if the account recovery tool request form came from the same computer and IP address of the original that matches the login for 4 years, this would be a very quick and easy confirmation that the rightful owner is requesting access.

Finally when my son attempted to login 4 minutes after the attack with the email address, Microsoft Prompted him to setup a new account and allowed this to happen. Most systems would prevent reuse of an identifier within a set time period 1 hour, 4 hours 24 hours whatever. But apparently not with microsoft. Furthermore when we originally attempted to reset the account based on the information provided by the security notification that the email address had changed, the hacker again changed the email address to something entirely different and the Microsoft Account Recovery tool said, sorry this account does not exist.

So where does this leave us. According to all the forums and help centers and readme. No human at Microsoft can recover the account and the Tool which is fully automated can't do anything else then what it is programmed to do.

:)

Markus Orchowski1, Jan 5, 2024
  2. Gabriel Limback Win User

To recover your account, you can contact Microsoft as they do have logs of previously added emails. Then add proof of transactions or ownership before the initial hacking. To prevent this from happening you ensure that your password for your account isn't on any websites nor account password saver/manager. To decrease your chances please don't download suspicious files, scanning QR codes or anything that you are not sure of. To prevent your chances of not being hacked & a very secure layer of protection you can buy a Hardware Security Keys
  3. Courtney Todd Win User

Hi Markus O, my name is Courtney and I would be happy to help.

I'm sorry to hear that someone stole your account. I know how frustrating it can be when this happens. Let's say that the only alternative you have at this moment is to send the account recovery form (If your information was deleted there is nothing to do unfortunately), I have also been through this situation, so I can give you some recommendations:

The first thing is to enter information that the account has, in case a phone number or card has been deleted, you should simply omit that information and not add it to the form. That said, you can enter the following link:

https://account.live.com/acsr

Please note that Support cannot help recover accounts, but in that case, if you want to contact them and talk in a live chat for more detailed information, you can access the following link.

Support: https://support.xbox.com/contact-us/

Please note that this is a Microsoft public forum, where we are gamers like you trying to guide/help other gamers solve basic problems they are having, this means we are not Microsoft employees.

Information source (Credits): https://answers.microsoft.com/thread/50d0d753-c765-4478-933f-8e005c780dd0

I hope this information has been useful to you.

Best regards,
    Courtney.
  4. Rodrigo Oliver Win User

I have a microsoft account that I can't access the name of and email associated with.

Hello John,

You can try the Account Recovery Form: https://account.live.com/acsr

Detailed steps on how to use the Account Recovery Form can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/office/b19c02d1-a782-dee6-93c3-dc8113b20c42

Microsoft takes account security very seriously, that's why Account Recovery is an automated process with no human influence. If you don't have the correct information, you may not be able to get through account verification using the Recovery Form.

The Account Recovery Form requires adequate information to prove that you are the owner of the account. The Account Recovery Process can be a time-consuming process, but providing as much info as possible from the start of the process will increase the possibility of being verified by the automated process. You'll need to keep trying until you're verified by Microsoft.

Remember to use a familiar device from which you've frequently accessed your Microsoft account, as well as a familiar location. Microsoft will review your responses and respond within 24 hours. If you are verified, instructions on how to log back into your account will be sent to you, and if you are not verified, you will need to submit the Account Recovery form again. You can do this up to 2 times every 24 hours.

It's important to note that Microsoft Support will not be able to grant you access to your account, you will be sent back to the Account Recovery pages that have been linked above.
  5. kyle_m4496 Win User

Can’t verify or recover Microsoft account

Hi Darmok. My name is Kyle and I'm an independent advisor.

It is important to keep your account's information safe, secure, and up to date, to avoid the risk of losing your account.

To protect customer privacy, Microsoft can only help customers verify their account ownership through the online password recovery process: https://account.live.com/acsr

Customer support cannot assist with account recovery. The recovery form is partially automated, if it detects you haven't provided enough information it will deny your request. However, requests are forwarded to Microsoft Support if needed.

If you remember any new details that might help with the recovery process, it's encouraged to keep trying to recover your account using the online account recovery form.

https://support.xbox.com/help/account-profile/manage-account/lost-password-solution
  6. Rodrigo Oliver Win User

Microsoft has no help and no real customer support after being locked out of my account

Hi Kevin, my name is Rodrigo. I'm an Independent Advisor and a member of the Microsoft community and I'd love to assist you today.

I truly am sorry to hear that.

Sadly, if you can't provide the necessary information, it won't be possible to recover the account.

Microsoft takes your security very seriously, and to protect customer privacy we can only help customers verify their account ownership through the online password recovery process.

If you remember any new details that might help with the recovery process, we encourage you to keep trying to recover your account using the online account recovery form.

You can find helpful tips on how to use the recover form on this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/accou...ery-form-b19c02d1-a782-dee6-93c3-dc8113b20c42

If your Microsoft account recovery request wasn't granted, you can keep trying as many times as you want, up to two times per day.

Source: https://support.xbox.com/help/account-profile/manage-account/lost-password-solution

I hope this helps!
Thema:

1. Microsofts Account Recovery Process is not keeping up with the times. - Similar Threads - Microsofts Account Recovery

2. Microsoft account recovery is awfull.

in XBoX on Windows
    Microsoft account recovery is awfull.: I've currently had my account hacked and the account recovery seems pointless I give all the information that is true to MY account but still don't regain It like how much more obvious do I have...
  3. Microsoft Account Recovery From Transaction ID?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Microsoft Account Recovery From Transaction ID?: I was recently hacked by participating in a fake verification form where I entered my code. My main Microsoft account was stolen and all of the sign-in information was changed including my email...
  4. I have filled out a microsoft account recovery form multiple times for it just to fail.

in XBoX Accessibility
    I have filled out a microsoft account recovery form multiple times for it just to fail.: I need help quickly! I have been trying to recover my account that I lost access to about a year ago for months now, and get the same outcome every time. Every time I try to do the recovery form...
  5. Xbox account all but bricked after "Recovery" from microsoft support

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox account all but bricked after "Recovery" from microsoft support: I'd like to explain that until recently I've not been active on my Xbox except for the occasional movie, Hense why I'm only bring up my issue months after I recovered the account. Yes, it pissed...
  6. Microsoft account is blocked, recovery doesn’t work

in XBoX Accessibility
    Microsoft account is blocked, recovery doesn’t work: Hi there! My boyfriend’s Microsoft account is blocked, even after attempting account recovery multiple times he can not access to change his password. The text reads: account has been blocked...
  7. I can't access my Microsoft live account. I have submitted account recovery requests...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I can't access my Microsoft live account. I have submitted account recovery requests...: Soooo I am lacked out of my Microsoft account (email). I have tried submitting multiple account recovery requests unsuccessfully. I have Xbox live, I'm paying for his at the moment and can't...
  8. microsoft account recovery form questions.

in XBoX Accessibility
    microsoft account recovery form questions.: I own more than one xbox x's and i wonder which console id it wants me to enter, my home console or the one i play on the most? also is a xbox game pass considered a subsription to microsoft or...
  9. I have two Microsoft accounts with the same email. Password recovery resets wrong account.

in XBoX Accessibility
    I have two Microsoft accounts with the same email. Password recovery resets wrong account.: When I try to recover the password, it resets the password of the wrong account, what can I do? I have the usernames of both accounts if that helps. 21bf2768-f6c9-4a7d-bd6c-4244a56ff670
  10. Account Recovery for accounts in a Microsoft family

in XBoX Accessibility
    Account Recovery for accounts in a Microsoft family: Backstory: A hacker stole my sons Epic Games account, as he had some very rare skins for Fortnight. In the process his Microsoft account was locked due to suspicious activity. We have been trying...