Microsoft Store refund denial appeal escalation options

Discus and support Microsoft Store refund denial appeal escalation options in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I recently had a horrendous experience with Microsoft's refund department. Because the appeal options are not made very obvious, I wanted to lay them... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by splinke, Apr 19, 2020.

1. splinke
    splinke Guest

I recently had a horrendous experience with Microsoft's refund department. Because the appeal options are not made very obvious, I wanted to lay them out here with the hope that this may help other customers. My problem (described in more detail below) was
    actually with a game purchased from the Microsoft Store for Windows (Minecraft), but it is apparently handled through the Xbox refund department.

Step 0. You may think you should start by contacting Microsoft Customer Support by phone or chat, but, just like any support personnel in these Microsoft Answers forums, they will let you know that they have no ability to process refund requests. Only the
    faceless "advocates" in the refund department can do that. You can try, though.

Step 1. Request the refund through the online Xbox refund request form. You should immediately get an email stating: "Your refund request has been assigned to
    one of our Xbox advocates." You will then probably have to wait several days to get a response either accepting or denying your request. Based on what I experienced and what I have read in other online posts, it is very likely that your request will be denied
    for no valid reason (perhaps the "Xbox advocates" are paid more to be advocates for Xbox, and not Xbox customers).

Step 2. Reply to the denial email and state your case justifying the refund. Again, you will probably have to wait several days for a reply and may not get one. In my experience, I received a second denial.

Step 3 (Option 1). If you are denied or wait about three days without a reply, write a "demand for refund" letter, stating that you may take legal action if you do not receive your refund, and fax or mail it to Microsoft's corporate
    office:

Microsoft Corporation

One Microsoft Way

Redmond, WA 98052-7329

Tel: 425.882.8080

Fax: 425.706.7329

Step 3 (Option 2). Submit a "Notice of Dispute" form. The form and instructions on how to submit it are available on

Microsoft's Arbitration and Dispute Resolution web page

Step 4. If Step 3 was successful, after several more days, you will receive another email--this time from a Microsoft "Accounts & Billing Support Advocate" re-opening your case. Eventually, they may set up a phone call, allowing
    you to actually speak with somebody about your issue.

So, after just a few weeks and a fairly large amount of effort on your part, you may just get the refund you should have received immediately. In my case, the Xbox advocate people told me that the reason for my denial was that I
    had exceeded my refund requests for the year, even though I had never in my life requested another refund. I asked for clarification on this when I finally spoke with the Accounts & Billing Support Advocate person. She said that was a mistake, and that Microsoft
    would be speaking with the Xbox advocates who received the refund requests and provided incorrect information. I am sure this will straighten both of them out, so that they never make that mistake again.

Step 5 (optional).If the above path is not successful, and if you paid with a credit card that allows you to dispute charges, go ahead and dispute it. With many credit card companies, you can do this
    online. If that option is not available or does not work, there should be an email or physical address to which you can submit your dispute. I think if the disputed charge is under a certain dollar amount (e.g., $50.00), then some credit card companies will
    just issue the credit themselves immediately without even getting Microsoft involved. In other cases, they may submit the dispute to Microsoft. If the credit card company just gives you the refund and lets Microsoft keep the money, as well, that is not a very
    satisfactory end to the dispute and ends up being a cost absorbed by everybody, but so be it.

If Step 4 and/or Step 5 do not work to your satisfaction, you can proceed to Step 6:

Step 6 (Option 1). Request the arbitration process described at the link in Step 3 Option 2. You may have to go to the separate
    American Arbitration Association website to get specific information on how to file.

Step 6 (Option 2). Or, you can file a small claims lawsuit in your jurisdiction. Follow the rules in your jurisdiction, which may include serving Microsoft through their "Agent for Service" in your state.

Details on my dispute:

I already owned the game "Minecraft for Windows 10" in my Microsoft Account. My pre-teen son wanted to play multiplayer with me, but Microsoft requires owning separate copies of the game to do that. So, I bought a second digital copy of the game from the
    Microsoft Store. However, we could not play multiplayer. I called Microsoft for assistance the same day as the purchase, and they said it did not work because both copies of the game are in my Microsoft Account, and the second copy needs to be in another account.
    So, I made a child account under my account for my son, but Microsoft refused my request on the same day I purchased the second copy to transfer it into that account.

Instead, Microsoft said I would need to request a refund through the online form and then re-purchase the game with the other account. I requested the refund--again, within hours of making the purchase and never having successfully used the second copy.
    Two days later, I received an email refusing to issue the refund, because I had allegedly "already received the allowed number of refunds this year." However, I have never requested a digital store refund from Microsoft in my entire life. I replied to the
    email with an appeal. Five days later, I finally received another reply as follows: "Denied...The decision on your request still stands. We are not able to disclose further information regarding this refund decision."

So, I was stuck with paying for an extra copy of a video game that I cannot use, and Microsoft refused to tell me why they would not transfer the game to my son's account, or why they refused to give me a refund--until I faxed a legal demand letter to Microsoft's
    corporate office.

:)

splinke, Apr 19, 2020
  2. cbfannin Win User

I'm experiencing this now with just a $13 purchase of in game credits. I did the same thing 3 months ago. It is an innocent mistake. I hardily use the Microsoft system to purchase things and when I do it's for my son's games. I have so far only purchased
    2 things and both times did it under my account. After realizing my mistake I immediately go get it under his account and request a refund. I am not intentionally abusing the system. The system is just confusing. I got a refund the first time 3mo ago, but
    now being told I exceeded my refunds for the year but the link provided with digital purchase terms didn't mention anything about how many I'm allowed to received. Anyway...I replied stating my unintentional mistake, we'll see what happens. I really have zero
    use for these game credits being attached to my account. At the very least, it would be nice if they could be converted to gifts.
  3. splinke Win User

As I described in my post, I finally resolved my problem with Microsoft. I posted this here as a "discussion" item to act as a guide to other Microsoft customers who run into the same problems. And the reality is that the Microsoft Customer Support Team
    cannot, in fact, help with refund request problems, as they apparently are not empowered to do that. That is why this post is necessary. Thanks.
  4. Saeleth Win User

Sadly this isnt something we can assist with on these forums, if you reach out to the MS Customer Support Team they should be able to help you no problem!
  5. Darhyl Amizola Win User

Who do I complain to about Xbox ignoring the consumer rights act as dlc I bought is broken and they refuse to refund me

You're welcome and I sincerely appreciate the response.

Unfortunately, that is the only option to dispute a refund. There are no other ways to escalate the refund appeal.

Best regards,
    Darhyl
  6. XBF Chris J Win User

Refused a refund despite playtime being 1 hour and 23 mins :-/ help?

I believe there is a way to appeal the denial of refund. Check the denial email again to see if there is a link to appeal this. you can also try replying to email to plead your case there

Hope this helps!
Thema:

1. Microsoft Store refund denial appeal escalation options - Similar Threads - Microsoft Store refund

2. Request for a refund for an unauthorised transaction on Microsoft Store

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Request for a refund for an unauthorised transaction on Microsoft Store: Hello Microsoft, I had an unauthorised transaction on my Xbox console when purchasing a game with a gift card with my Microsoft account balance, but $14.95 was charged to my debit card on my...
  3. I cant get a refund on a game i gifted from the Canadian Microsoft store and my friend...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I cant get a refund on a game i gifted from the Canadian Microsoft store and my friend...: I cant get a refund on a game that i gifted. My friend cant redeem the code because i bought the game from the Canadian Microsoft store and hes in the USA. The game is not showing on my purchases...
  4. HELP!!! I made a 597.09 purchase in microsoft store and they wont refund or send a replacement.

in XBoX on Windows
    HELP!!! I made a 597.09 purchase in microsoft store and they wont refund or send a replacement.: HELP!!! I made a 597.09 purchase in Microsoft store and they won't refund or send a replacement. I made a purchase a week ago and never received my package. I called Microsoft to report that I...
  5. Microsoft Physical Store Gift Card Refund

in XBoX on Windows
    Microsoft Physical Store Gift Card Refund: Hi, I saw other posts regarding getting a wired refund for Physical gift cards they received in the Microsoft stores before they closed down but now the phone number listed does not allow me to...
  6. Can't install the game from Microsoft store and request refund

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't install the game from Microsoft store and request refund: Hi, i purchased a Creaks game from Microsoft store. Then seemly I can't even install it.its appears nothing. And i decide to request a refund but sadly i can't see any link for request refund for...
  7. Get a refund for a purchase in the Microsoft store

in XBoX on Windows
    Get a refund for a purchase in the Microsoft store: Bought the wrong version of the lane and requested the return of funds. They approved but on the 'Order Journal' page it hangs in the order details 4 points where 1) Subtotal - the amount. 2)...
  8. i bought skate 3 on microsoft store and vant play it ?? and cant refund

in XBoX Games and Apps
    i bought skate 3 on microsoft store and vant play it ?? and cant refund: bought skate 3 on microsoft store and now i cant play it and i cannot refund it 1b231d32-65e2-412c-a161-3978bba4a767
  9. No refund/refund issue with Microsoft Store online - PayPal dispute advice needed please!

in XBoX Sales and Promo
    No refund/refund issue with Microsoft Store online - PayPal dispute advice needed please!: Hi All, I hope you are doing well ? Problem: I bought a Seagate Storage Expansion Card for Xbox Series X|S 2 weeks ago but decided to cancel the order the very same day it was placed (I thought...
  10. Please could anyone offer advice on trying to obtain a refund on a Microsoft Store purchase...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Please could anyone offer advice on trying to obtain a refund on a Microsoft Store purchase...: Hi, could anyone possibly help? I recently purchased some Apex Legends Coins and as the process was going through it came up with an error message and when I then checked in-game, no coins had...