Microsoft gave away my gamer tag. Is it right that they threaten me when I asked for it back?

Discus and support Microsoft gave away my gamer tag. Is it right that they threaten me when I asked for it back? in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; I am an xbox gamer since Year 1. On all consoles. My gamer tag was S######R (hidden for fear of reprisal) I was in top 10 for a few online games on the... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by brad logan, Apr 14, 2023.

1. brad logan
    brad logan Guest

Microsoft gave away my gamer tag. Is it right that they threaten me when I asked for it back?

I am an xbox gamer since Year 1. On all consoles. My gamer tag was S######R (hidden for fear of reprisal) I was in top 10 for a few online games on the earlier consoles. I had to downgrade my gold membership to silver for a few months and lost Internet connection for a few weeks. When I went back online Microsoft had given someone else my gamer tag, downloaded content, etc. I became oO S######R Oo. I lost many legacy gamer friends. S######R was my actual TAG from a misspent youth as a Graffiti artist, so I truly owned it in my heart. I used to be able to see the gamer tag and that it had become inactive.

Every few years I ask Microsoft support if they can help. They are always so apologetic. Run around helping, calling me back and then at some point each time I get the same message from a supervisor... If I continue to persue the gamer tag my current account will be banned.

Do other gamers have the same problem?

Microsoft gave away my account and then threaten to ban me because I am asking for it back.

:)

brad logan, Apr 14, 2023
  2. Jonny306 Win User

Hello Brad

My name is Jonny and I will be assisting you today!

First, thank you so much for contacting us regarding your inquiry/ concern.

I am very sorry that you are experiencing this problem. Unfortunately, we are only an Xbox community who do not have any power over any Microsoft/ Xbox decisions, services, payments, changes, and alike. Our mission is to assist other players who may experience problems that we have knowledge and experience with.

In your case, it sounds like this happened back when accounts would lose their Tag if it (account) goes unused for a certain amount of time. This no longer happens today with the changes made with these Tags. However, this can also happen if the tag violates the community standards as well.

The bad news is this: Because you had already been in contact multiple times with support who DO have power when dealing with changes and alike, once they state the decision is final, there isn't a support team available that can simply overstep that decision.

To be honest, older accounts that went unused would have also lost their tag.

I am very sorry but you would have taken the correct measures and reached out but sadly we cant assist with this :(
  3. CleverJoey54144 Win User

Change of gamer tag

I want to know why Microsoft change my gamer tag and gave me a random gamer tag instead of letting me chose my own can someone please explain this to me !!!1
  4. Jay Tarala Win User

Anyone know how to get my old gamer tag onto my console after starting a new account?

Thanks, I appreciate you getting back to me but that isn’t helping.

Maybe I’m not explaining this right.

I restarted my console this morning when I signed back in I didn’t read things correctly and used my email and password to sign in and then started with a new gamer tag with the same email as my old gamer tag.

Now when I sign in it’s my new gamer tag that pops up. I tried deleting the new tag off my console and resigning in but again the new gamer tag pops up.

There is no option to look for tags associated with the same email???

All my purchased games and game pass is associated with my old gamer tag. How do I get my old gamer tag back with this email and onto my console???
  5. Smwutches Win User

Changing Gamer tags to a name that is taken but is inactive.

Sorry, but support gave you incorrect information. If the system says a tag is taken, then there is no way to get that tag. The tag system is in use on other Microsoft services, so even if it's not being used on a console, it could be in use elsewhere. Also,
    the system doesn't see things like spaces as making a tag unique. So if you look up "gamertag" it may not come up right away, but still be shown as in use if it's written as "gamer tag".
  6. ppooooo4opppp Win User

Gamer Tag

I didnt use it on this gamer tag. This is the tag that was originally given to me. All I did was sign up my gmail account with windows live games then started playing then noticed at the top right corner of my screen it said above the city
    name I specified when selecting the race I wanted to play. I asked in chat if there was any chance I could change it and they said you get a free gamer tag change per account but it asks me for points when I try change it.
Thema:

1. Microsoft gave away my gamer tag. Is it right that they threaten me when I asked for it back? - Similar Threads - Microsoft gave away

2. I gave away my microsoft account information. I Need Help

in XBoX Accessibility
    I gave away my microsoft account information. I Need Help: I accidentally gave away my microsoft account and I lost the microsoft account along with a minecraft account and an xbox account. The hacker changed the password and email of the account. I tried...
  3. Hello, they gave me coupons on the Roblox website from Microsoft. What to do with them and...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Hello, they gave me coupons on the Roblox website from Microsoft. What to do with them and...: I decided to go to Roblox and saw a notification that they gave me a coupon from Microsoft f44d0b7d-2310-4d24-939b-08b8b2eca308
  4. What would be likely to happen if Microsoft gave up on the Xbox

in XBoX on Consoles
    What would be likely to happen if Microsoft gave up on the Xbox: Purely hypothetical, and I don't think this is ever likely to happen for the record. But it's also not the most confident time period to be a Microsoft gaming fan. So what happens if Microsoft...
  5. Microsoft basically just gave my account away to hackers and wont help

in XBoX Accessibility
    Microsoft basically just gave my account away to hackers and wont help: So i found out my other microsoft account had been hacked and when i tried changing the email back to mine they told me to wait 30 days, i told them so many times i was hacked but they tell me to...
  6. Microsoft store gave me wrong version of hogwarts

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Microsoft store gave me wrong version of hogwarts: I bought Hogwarts xs version and it gave me the Xbox one version. When I go back in there to compare editions, click on standard edition it takes me to the manage you own this but it’s the Xbox...
  7. gave microsoft/xbox account to a friend, and even after logging them out or changing...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    gave microsoft/xbox account to a friend, and even after logging them out or changing...: I gave my gamepass account to a friend and am now trying to log my account out of all devices, even after removing it from devices on the account page and even changing the password they are still...
  8. Just gave microsoft $10 to play Halo Wars 2 and their xbox pc app is giving me error...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Just gave microsoft $10 to play Halo Wars 2 and their xbox pc app is giving me error...: I hate not using Steam. Never using xbox app again. 76385f5c-5478-431a-86f3-e519d8209141
  9. I gave Microsoft an idea and it has become a reality

in XBoX on Consoles
    I gave Microsoft an idea and it has become a reality: Hi, I sent an email to Microsoft on January 26th 2017 about an idea I had where they should make an Minecraft Xbox One S edition theme. Recently it was announced they are releasing a limited...
  10. Microsoft xBox Live featured an inappropriate Gamerpic that xBox gave me???

in XBoX on Consoles
    Microsoft xBox Live featured an inappropriate Gamerpic that xBox gave me???: I just got notified that my gamerpic featured an inappropriate Gamerpic which was xBoxs own creation... How does a user get banned for xBox creating the gamerpic? This is 100% wrong! [img] [img]...