Mic on new controllers with 3.5mm built in Audio port

Discus and support Mic on new controllers with 3.5mm built in Audio port in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have two different xbox controllers with the built in 3.5mm audio port and I am trying to use a microphone and earphones with the audio port and it's... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Ookttah, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Ookttah
    Ookttah Guest

I have two different xbox controllers with the built in 3.5mm audio port and I am trying to use a microphone and earphones with the audio port and it's not working.

I have a mic and audio splitter that is working on my phone and computer as well as a working mic and earphones. The missing link is the controller.

Looking online it looks like some people have this problem and others don't... with no explanation.

I can hear the audio from the xbox but the mic isn't working.

Thank you if you can help!

:)

Ookttah, Mar 31, 2016
  2. Will Razer Kraken Pro Work On New Controllers?

I was curious, will the Razer Kraken Pro 2015 headset work on the new controllers with the 3.5mm jack? I heard before on the old ones that only the audio worked and not the mic?

SSJagdpanther6, Mar 31, 2016
  3. spgingras
    spgingras Guest
    Xbox One Controller & cheap headphones (audio + chat)

Hi my dear xbox lovers!

I've got this pair of Apple Earbuds that use a standard 3.5mm audio/mic jack.
    I like them, the sound is good, the mic is OK, they're fine for my day-to-day needs.

As far as I know, the PS4 controller can handle audio and chat through the DS4's 3.5mm jack.

I understand that the Xbox One controller has a proprietary port that imposes some sort of connectivity limit.

My question is, with the help of some sort of (cheap) adapter (I know that some headset companies have adapters in the works...), would it be possible for me to use my (cheap) Apple headphones with the Xbox One controller (for audio AND chat)?
    That would be awesome, since I wouldn't have to buy a 100$-ish headset.

Thanks a lot fellow Xbone lovers Mic on new controllers with 3.5mm built in Audio port :D

spgingras, Mar 31, 2016
  4. SkiPatch
    SkiPatch Guest

Can you provide additional detail? What mic are you trying to use, what headphones, what type of phone?

Also - have you updated your controller recently?

SkiPatch, Apr 1, 2016
  5. Ookttah
    Ookttah Guest
    Yes, both controllers fully updated.

Mic is at2020usb+, headphones are the apple earbuds, phone is the Nexus 5.

I'm using the audio out port on the mic and connecting that to the mic port of the splitter, and the headphones to the headphones port of the splitter, and the combo port to the controllers.

Ookttah, Apr 1, 2016
  6. Ookttah
    Ookttah Guest
    Interestingly, I can hear audio from the xbox through my earbuds, the controllers just don't seem to be sending the microphone audio to the xbox. I was under the impression that the 3.5mm port on the new controllers had both audio and mic capabilities, am
    I wrong?

I know that the microphone is sending sound to the controller and I know it's getting sent to the correct pins on the 3.5mm port...

Ookttah, Apr 3, 2016
  7. I am no where near an audio expert when it comes to the compatibility of headsets and so forth with the new controller, but I read something in a previous thread that I can't find now it has something to do with the 3.5mm prong needs to be a certain type
    to work properly for both game and chat audio. You may want to look into this information, I would give you some links to start you off, but I don't fully understand it myself either. I would recommend either researching what 3.5mm plugs that will work with
    the Xbox One or perhaps contacting Xbox Live Chat Support and seeing if they can help you. I am sorry I couldn't be much help, but I hope this information might lead you in the right direction

DragonSamurai75, Apr 3, 2016
  8. blueamcat
    blueamcat Guest

Here is the article that Dragon may have been talking about. It shows specifically which MIC port is needed to correctly work etc.

support.xbox.com/.../connect-compatible-headset

I came across it earlier today and thought, hey! That's awesome and could be useful! ;D

blueamcat, Apr 3, 2016
  9. Ookttah
    Ookttah Guest
    Right yeah I saw that article. I am all CTIA and working with correct standards and all that.

I'm actually and electrical engineer and understand all the standards and how the data should be conveyed... but I'm confused why the controller isn't handling the data correctly... I could be messing up the setup but I don't really think there's any way
    I could be.

The chat support has been closed each time I've looked.

Ookttah, Oct 31, 2018
  10. DragonSamurai75 Win User

I am no where near an audio expert when it comes to the compatibility of headsets and so forth with the new controller, but I read something in a previous thread that I can't find now it has something to do with the 3.5mm prong needs to be a certain type
    to work properly for both game and chat audio. You may want to look into this information, I would give you some links to start you off, but I don't fully understand it myself either. I would recommend either researching what 3.5mm plugs that will work with
    the Xbox One or perhaps contacting Xbox Live Chat Support and seeing if they can help you. I am sorry I couldn't be much help, but I hope this information might lead you in the right direction
  11. Ookttah Win User

Right yeah I saw that article. I am all CTIA and working with correct standards and all that.

I'm actually and electrical engineer and understand all the standards and how the data should be conveyed... but I'm confused why the controller isn't handling the data correctly... I could be messing up the setup but I don't really think there's any way
    I could be.

The chat support has been closed each time I've looked.
  12. SkiPatch Win User

Can you provide additional detail? What mic are you trying to use, what headphones, what type of phone?

Also - have you updated your controller recently?
  13. blueamcat Win User

Here is the article that Dragon may have been talking about. It shows specifically which MIC port is needed to correctly work etc.

support.xbox.com/.../connect-compatible-headset

I came across it earlier today and thought, hey! That's awesome and could be useful! ;D
  14. Ookttah Win User

Interestingly, I can hear audio from the xbox through my earbuds, the controllers just don't seem to be sending the microphone audio to the xbox. I was under the impression that the 3.5mm port on the new controllers had both audio and mic capabilities, am
    I wrong?

I know that the microphone is sending sound to the controller and I know it's getting sent to the correct pins on the 3.5mm port...
Thema:

1. Mic on new controllers with 3.5mm built in Audio port - Similar Threads - Mic controllers 5mm

2. Mic quality gets worse when i switch controllers

in XBoX on Consoles
    Mic quality gets worse when i switch controllers: when i switched to my white controller my friends in the party would mention that i would sound like a robot but when i switch to my black controller i sound perfectly fine can someone help...
  3. Turtle Beach mic stuck on 1 channel 16 bit 24000Hz when plugged into Xbox controller...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Turtle Beach mic stuck on 1 channel 16 bit 24000Hz when plugged into Xbox controller...: All of my drivers are up to date. I was having an issue with discord not detecting my mic so I ran a test on it and the levels were appearing just not in discord. I gave up on it, then went to...
  4. New controller mic robotic

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    New controller mic robotic: I got a new controller recently for Xbox and my friends have said that my mic now sounds roboticly in Xbox party on my old controller my mic sounds fine is there anything I can do to fix this...
  5. Why doesn’t my mic work on my wired controller?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why doesn’t my mic work on my wired controller?: My parents bought me a Xbox certificated wired controller for Christmas,i was excited to get on the get game and talk to my friends. I plugged my mic port in and started to talk but my mic was...
  6. Mic monitoring resets everytime I plug in my controller and headset

in XBoX on Consoles
    Mic monitoring resets everytime I plug in my controller and headset: Everytime I plug in my wired controller (gamesir g7 se) and my wired headset (steelseries) my mic monitoring is on. The only way I've found to turn if off is to go into a party and go to audio...
  7. My pdp Xbox advanced wired rematch controllers mic won't work no matter the headset, ughhhh

in XBoX on Consoles
    My pdp Xbox advanced wired rematch controllers mic won't work no matter the headset, ughhhh: everything works besides the mic of any head set all settings are correct as far as I know and have tried, it will cut on for a millisecond bday shutoff and not work again after I'm bout to give...
  8. Is there something wrong with my mic or controller?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is there something wrong with my mic or controller?: So I noticed a problem with my audio where I can talk and hear people in party chat just fine. But when I try to switch to game chat, I can only hear the game but can't speak to others or hear...
  9. Is there a built in mic on the Xbox elite series 2 controller?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is there a built in mic on the Xbox elite series 2 controller?: I was wondering if I can talk to people in a party without having headset b2696f83-1cae-4d01-bd5c-6a4179522423
  10. While using an elite controller s2, the mic will not work well on 360 game but it will work...

in XBoX on Consoles
    While using an elite controller s2, the mic will not work well on 360 game but it will work...: When I’m using my elite controller, I try to go in the 360 game my mic doesn’t work but if I switch to a normal controller it does work but not with my elite controller...