Media Player/USB movies do not play in 5.1 surround through A/V system

Discus and support Media Player/USB movies do not play in 5.1 surround through A/V system in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Unfortunately, I had to replace my old Sony A/V system due to loose HDMI connections. I purchased an Onkyo 5.2 receiver as its replacement. I have a... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Jules Whiskey, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Media Player/USB movies do not play in 5.1 surround through A/V system

Unfortunately, I had to replace my old Sony A/V system due to loose HDMI connections. I purchased an Onkyo 5.2 receiver as its replacement. I have a 5.1 speaker setup.

I have a cable box, Blu-ray player, and Xbox One connected to the corresponding inputs on the rcvr... the HDMI Arc output going directly to the tv. The rcvr only allows HDMI audio input from the GAME selection (no optical or other). Other inputs (TV, Blu-ray,
    ...) will accept other types of audio input, but I have only been using HDMI. All my other devices produce 5.1 sound just fine.

Games are playing in 5.1 sound, Blu-rays are good, but when I try using the Media Player app with a 5.1 movie from a USB flash drive, I can only achieve 2-channel stereo sound coming out of both the front L/R and rear L/R speakers. This did not occur with
    my Sony receiver. I have always had the Xbox audio setting to HDMI 5.1 uncompressed.

After perusing your forums and Google searches, I've tried a bunch of different suggested settings from others to no avail. I see that this has been an issue for a while.

Can you please give me some direction on how to get the 5.1 sound from the Media Player with my new system? Is this ever going to be fixed?

:)

Jules Whiskey, Nov 10, 2017
  2. Silvamord
    Silvamord Guest
    Surround Sound Complications

Hello Community,

I would like to consider myself a Techie but when I setup my Xbox One I got for a present I only ran into frustration and issues.

Equipment & Setup:

Xbox One plugged into a Sony Receiver via HDMI. Receiver plugged into TV via HDMI cable.

Xbox One set to 5.1 uncompressed (as suggested via researching this online). Receiver states 3/2.1 PCM - I set it to PLII Movie, thus 5.1 Surround Sound.

Issue:

Hulu app will not play 5.1 surround sound, only FL & FR speakers.

Previews on a Blu-Ray wouldn't play 5.1 surround sound but the actual movie would.

Pandora will only play through FL & FR speakers, no sub.

Netflix will play 5.1 surround sound. Games will play 5.1 surround sound.

Confusion:

Why are some items playing surround sound and others are not? My previous console had no issues playing Hulu at 5.1 surround sound with same HDMI setup. My other devices I'm using on the receiver are playing 5.1 surround sound just fine.

Seeking help with this. I would hate to return the Xbox One due to something as trivial as Audio. Especially since a device as simple as my Chromcast and PS3 had no issues whatsoever. But if I can't solve this within the week I will have to return for a
    PS4.

Thank you ahead of time for your help and support with this,

Tom

Silvamord, Nov 10, 2017
  3. Silvamord
    Silvamord Guest
    Hulu not working Surround Sound

Hello Community,

I would like to consider myself a Techie but when I setup my Xbox One I got for a present I only ran into frustration and issues.

Equipment & Setup:

Xbox One plugged into a Sony Receiver via HDMI. Receiver plugged into TV via HDMI cable.

Xbox One set to 5.1 uncompressed (as suggested via researching this online). Receiver states 3/2.1 PCM - I set it to PLII Movie, thus 5.1 Surround Sound.

Issue:

Hulu app will not play 5.1 surround sound, only FL & FR speakers.

Previews on a Blu-Ray wouldn't play 5.1 surround sound but the actual movie would.

Pandora will only play through FL & FR speakers, no sub.

Netflix will play 5.1 surround sound. Games will play 5.1 surround sound.

Confusion:

Why are some items playing surround sound and others are not? My previous console had no issues playing Hulu at 5.1 surround sound with same HDMI setup. My other devices I'm using on the receiver are playing 5.1 surround sound just fine.

Seeking help with this. I would hate to return the Xbox One due to something as trivial as Audio. Especially since a device as simple as my Chromcast and PS3 had no issues whatsoever. But if I can't solve this within the week I will have to return for a
    PS4.

Thank you ahead of time for your help and support with this,

Tom

Silvamord, Nov 10, 2017
  4. RICH6826
    RICH6826 Guest

5.1 films should be outputting as 5.1 if all your games are etc. The problem is normally when your film is only 2.0 and you would expect the amp to upscale it to use 5.1. The most noticeable thing is the centre speaker not being used. I WISH they'd sort
    this out. They need to make the xbox either:

a) only send out 2.0 stereo sound when the media is only stereo or

b) have the Xbox upscale the original stereo source to your chosen number channels (speakers).

I would suggest that your media on the USB stick may only just be stereo and that's why you're getting the output you are. The "fix" for this is to set the sound output in your xbox settings to just stereo (you can change it back after the film). This
    will allow the amp to actually receive just a stereo signal and upscale to use all your speakers as you want. The PS4 works the same way. Bit of a backwards step from the older PS3 that changed output based on the source. Not everything is progress...
    Media Player/USB movies do not play in 5.1 surround through A/V system :)

RICH6826, Nov 30, 2017
  5. RICH6826 Win User

5.1 films should be outputting as 5.1 if all your games are etc. The problem is normally when your film is only 2.0 and you would expect the amp to upscale it to use 5.1. The most noticeable thing is the centre speaker not being used. I WISH they'd sort
    this out. They need to make the xbox either:

a) only send out 2.0 stereo sound when the media is only stereo or

b) have the Xbox upscale the original stereo source to your chosen number channels (speakers).

I would suggest that your media on the USB stick may only just be stereo and that's why you're getting the output you are. The "fix" for this is to set the sound output in your xbox settings to just stereo (you can change it back after the film). This
    will allow the amp to actually receive just a stereo signal and upscale to use all your speakers as you want. The PS4 works the same way. Bit of a backwards step from the older PS3 that changed output based on the source. Not everything is progress...
    :)
  6. whitco10 Win User

TV Tuner Stereo output only?

Same issue here. 5.1 worked fine with the USB tuner prior to the NXOE update. I've had to update two xboxes and both times immediately after the update 5.1 OTA functionality was lost. Surround is enabled in my TV settings but it has no effect. Surround
    still works fine for games, movies etc.
  7. ForestalPython5 Win User

Xbox One 5.1 Optical Surround Sound Problems - No Sound From Rear Surround Speakers

**SOLVED**

So turns out you don't need a TV to act as a hub/AR with these Sony HT cinema sound systems. The xbox one will output 5.1 through the optical and the Sony HT-RT4 will pick up and play all the channels correctly.

Both Bitstreams DTS + Dolby work fine.

**BE AWARE**

I was trying to test the 5.1 surround sound on several platforms giving me incorrect results:

- Youtube DOES NOT PLAY IN 5.1 (5.1 test videos etc...)

- Plex Media Streaming (Make sure the film/video you are playing is streaming with a 5.1 audio track, NOT AAC Stereo etc..

To confirm my 5.1 surround sound i used a BlueRay Disc with 5.1 Dolby on the back of the case. I also used Netflix streaming with films streamed in 5.1 audio.

Hope this helps someone out there!
  8. skyzoo5 Win User

7.1 surround sound

You may have to access your AVR's menu to make sure your surround (back) speakers are on. Even though I have mine set-up to automatically detect the surround sound of the media I'm playing I have to go in my menu settings to ensure my surround back speakers
    are on. Example would be, I play a movie that is 5.1 and my AVR will see that it's Dolby Digital. Well the back surround speakers aren't used in 5.1 so I go into my AVR menu and set my back surrounds as default when ever a 5.1signal is detected. I have
    a Denon AVR 4806CI
  9. ArminatorX Win User

Not enough space problem

The persistent storage should be able to hold the data of way more than 6 BR Movies before it needs to be cleared.
    The persistent storage for the BluRay player is not for holding whole movies. It's just a small storage area for "bookmarks", so you can insert a movie disc you watched before, and the console will be able to continue where you left off before, or allows
    you to jump to scenes you marked earlier.

Again: The Xbox One is not a dedicated media player. Primarily, it is a gaming console with added media capabilities.

That means: you can attach USB storage devices with MP3, MKV or MP4 movies and music, and play that from the USB drive with no problem.

You don't need to copy anything to the console. Simply plug in the USB drive with your music and videos on it, and play it through the Xbox media player.
Thema:

1. Media Player/USB movies do not play in 5.1 surround through A/V system - Similar Threads - Media Player USB

2. Media player app - external hard drive not recognised but finds USB?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Media player app - external hard drive not recognised but finds USB?: I'm looking to set up my Xbox One as a media hub utilising my external hard drive, it's formatted to exFat so i can transfer files from both OSX & Windows which i know the console cat read but the...
  3. system media player wont detect usb disks/hdd

in XBoX Games and Apps
    system media player wont detect usb disks/hdd: after update my xbox one wont detect any usb flash drives ir external hdd.i use them for only movies.it wont detect my flash drive 16g usb2.0,wont detect my usb 3.0 1t hdd or my 1t usb 2.0 hdd.....
  4. why is the media player no longer reading my usb device????????????

in XBoX Games and Apps
    why is the media player no longer reading my usb device????????????: Idk if your update to the oneguide *** everything up for my usb devices..now i cant read or watch whats on my hard drive...you microsoft people better fix this ***..im not happy with your...
  5. Media Player app no longer finding files on USB device after latest Xbox update

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Media Player app no longer finding files on USB device after latest Xbox update: Every time I put the USB device in now, it says, "No files found". Files that worked just fine recently, before the latest Xbox update. I also tested the device elsewhere and the files were still...
  6. Media player app not seeing files on USB flash

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Media player app not seeing files on USB flash: i formatted a USB flash drive but the xbox one is not seeing the files on it. tried both fat32 and ntfs. when it does work, usually after a full format of the drive, the console is unable to read...
  7. Media Player can not play multimedia files from big USB had drives (8TB)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Media Player can not play multimedia files from big USB had drives (8TB): Media Player can not play multimedia files from big USB had drives (8TB) if they are located outside of the first 2TB. Is there any chance to fix this bug? 17fb8cc8-146f-47ee-aa4d-60e2122d6544
  8. External USB drive & Media Player - “NO ACCESS TO THIS LOCATION”

in XBoX on Consoles
    External USB drive & Media Player - “NO ACCESS TO THIS LOCATION”: I have a 4TB external USB drive that I've been using for media (video and music). Previously, there have been no issues - launch console, select Media Player, select video or music folder and...
  9. XBOX Media Player USB File Not Found

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX Media Player USB File Not Found: Last night I loaded some media onto a USB, plugged it into my Xbox One, and watched a movie. Today, I loaded another movie onto my USB and plugged it into my Xbox One but although my USB is still...
  10. Media Player doesn't recognize any USB storage devices.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Media Player doesn't recognize any USB storage devices.: I just bought a Seagate USB 3.0 External hard drive. When I go to storage through settings is shows the device there but when I choose to view contents the Media Player says no USB device is...