Media Player difficulty! Media Player doesn't recognise external hard drive, can anyone ...

Discus and support Media Player difficulty! Media Player doesn't recognise external hard drive, can anyone ... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I believe I have came into a rather unique situation, as I can't find it anywhere, my external hard drive that I want to watch TV shows from, is not... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by TravisP1231, Oct 19, 2015.

1. TravisP1231
    TravisP1231 Guest

Media Player difficulty! Media Player doesn't recognise external hard drive, can anyone ...

I believe I have came into a rather unique situation, as I can't find it anywhere, my external hard drive that I want to watch TV shows from, is not recognised by the Xbox One Media Player, although the hard drive can be seen in the "Manage Storage" area
    of the system settings, this is a major annoyance that I wish to end ASAP, if ANYONE could give me ANY advice on how to fix this problem I would be extremely grateful to you, I have tried using every usb port on the console and cold booted the console multiple
    times, again thanks in advance!!!

:)

TravisP1231, Oct 19, 2015
  2. External storage issues

I have recently lost the use of my external hard drive for watching videos from via the media player app. It was initially working but the next day the media player app could not recognise my hard drive being plugged in. But looking in to settings and storage
    the external hard drive shows up but shows as being empty, Then if i plug it into my laptop again its comes up and shows that all the files are still on the hard drive.

Can anyone please help.

MetalBarracuda, Oct 19, 2015
  3. Plumrico
    Plumrico Guest
    External Hard Drive not recognised at all

Hi,

i have an external hard drive with movies on that I always used to use on my XB1 via the media player with no problems, since the latest update it won't recognise the drive at all.

Any ideas?

Plumrico, Oct 19, 2015
  4. Argontheos
    Argontheos Guest

If your external HDD is partitioned for use as X1 storage, I'm fairly certain Media Player won't recognise it as a media storage device, and so won't be checking it for audio/video/image files. It'll basically be an extension of X1 storage.

The Media Player isn't all that great. I don't think it's even complete software. It does have 'preview' in the title still. lol I can only get the X1/Media Player to detect my tablet, phone, and laptop by using Universal Media Server, a free piece of software
    that let's you organise what files can and can't be shared/streamed across devices.

If you Google you should find a free download. But that would mean you'd have to plug your external HDD into something other than your One, and have UMS set up to find it and make streaming content to the X1's Media Player a thing. =|

Argontheos, Oct 19, 2015
  5. TravisP1231
    TravisP1231 Guest
    It's not formatted for Xbox One, in the settings app it even says the line "music, video..." Whatever it says, I might just plug in my old Xbox 360 to do it, it's not that much a problem, just a little bit of an annoyance

TravisP1231, Oct 20, 2015
  6. J.R.G.
    J.R.G. Guest
    I use a mini 32Gb flash for my music and the 1Tb for games. I do not believe you can partition a single drive to work with both at this time, though I've been wrong before.

J.R.G., Oct 31, 2018
  7. SilentRaver69 Win User

External hard drive recognised but not

If you need help with your Hard drive check out the support page
    Troubleshoot external storage detection on Xbox One
    I followed the guide on that link but it didn't help my problem the device is recognised it's on the list but when I go into media player or even pick it from the list in settings it comes up no device recognised in media player
  8. J.R.G. Win User

Media Player difficulty! Media Player doesn't recognise external hard drive, can anyone help?

I use a mini 32Gb flash for my music and the 1Tb for games. I do not believe you can partition a single drive to work with both at this time, though I've been wrong before.
  9. Argontheos Win User

Media Player difficulty! Media Player doesn't recognise external hard drive, can anyone help?

If your external HDD is partitioned for use as X1 storage, I'm fairly certain Media Player won't recognise it as a media storage device, and so won't be checking it for audio/video/image files. It'll basically be an extension of X1 storage.

The Media Player isn't all that great. I don't think it's even complete software. It does have 'preview' in the title still. lol I can only get the X1/Media Player to detect my tablet, phone, and laptop by using Universal Media Server, a free piece of software
    that let's you organise what files can and can't be shared/streamed across devices.

If you Google you should find a free download. But that would mean you'd have to plug your external HDD into something other than your One, and have UMS set up to find it and make streaming content to the X1's Media Player a thing. =|
  10. TravisP1231 Win User

It's not formatted for Xbox One, in the settings app it even says the line "music, video..." Whatever it says, I might just plug in my old Xbox 360 to do it, it's not that much a problem, just a little bit of an annoyance
  11. Hordie Win User

Why can't the ONE play the same media files as 360 ???

Open the media player app. When you run the Media Player app, select your external USB drive, and then select the media that you want to play.
Thema:

1. Media Player difficulty! Media Player doesn't recognise external hard drive, can anyone ... - Similar Threads - Media Player difficulty

2. Windows media player issues or flaws and accessories app issues Xbox system feature missing.

in XboX Insiders
    Windows media player issues or flaws and accessories app issues Xbox system feature missing.: It has no media server access, and it has an unfriendly UI when navigating through a large library of music. Also it's impossible to transfer from PC to internal storage. It reads metadata...
  3. Media Player for Xbox Series S is asking me to "Sign In" when opening the app. error code...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Media Player for Xbox Series S is asking me to "Sign In" when opening the app. error code...: I am trying to view my screenshots and clips on my Seagate Portable 1TB External Hard Drive but when I access the Media Player app it tells me to sign in and none of my captures are in the hard...
  4. Windows Media Player on Xbox Series X crashes after switching to another app

in XBoX on Windows
    Windows Media Player on Xbox Series X crashes after switching to another app: If I'm playing a song on windows media player, and I switch to another app, the song plays in the background for around 4 seconds before stopping and the app crashes entirely....
  5. WD Black external drive only reading as media player

in XBoX on Consoles
    WD Black external drive only reading as media player: I have a brand new WD Black external drive. I bought it to move games I’m not currently playing. When I plug it in to the usb port on my Xbox series x, I get a message “media storage ready”. It...
  6. how to access wondows media player on 360

in XBoX on Consoles
    how to access wondows media player on 360: hos do i connext to windows media player on a 360 4fea8aae-72b7-4ab9-a42d-ae863dbd6086
  7. Media player is harder to use now

in XboX Insiders
    Media player is harder to use now: Very disappointed with the changes. Less functionality and just a pain in the arse. Was so much better before submitted by /u/Realistic_Being_3411 [link] [comments]
  8. Why does my xbox one read a ssd as a media player

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my xbox one read a ssd as a media player: I put in my hp ssd p500 but my xbox reads it as a media player. I wanted to use the ssd as a gigabyte expansion. c016e10d-6337-4924-b2f7-cd883d0d04d1
  9. does downloading the DTS Unbound app onto Xbox 1 s enable the Windows Media Player to play...

in XBoX Accessibility
    does downloading the DTS Unbound app onto Xbox 1 s enable the Windows Media Player to play...: does downloading the DTS Unbound app onto Xbox 1 s enable the Windows Media Player to play and control a DTS CD? 20c201d9-9ca9-4fd5-9f6c-2478fff8516b
  10. Why does Xbox Series S crash when listening to background music via Windows Media Player?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does Xbox Series S crash when listening to background music via Windows Media Player?: Today I started playing music on my xbox in the background via Windows media player app on xbox via DLNA connection. It worked fine for about 20 minutes, then it began opening up Windows media...