Media Player can not play multimedia files from big USB had drives (8TB)

Discus and support Media Player can not play multimedia files from big USB had drives (8TB) in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Media Player can not play multimedia files from big USB had drives (8TB) if they are located outside of the first 2TB. Is there any chance to fix... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by TheMontezuma, Nov 30, 2017.

1. TheMontezuma
    TheMontezuma Guest

if they are located outside of the first 2TB.

Is there any chance to fix this bug?

:)

TheMontezuma, Nov 30, 2017
  2. WyattDowling
    WyattDowling Guest
    Problems with Xbox One X recognizing media files on external storage

Hi,

My Xbox One X is recognizing my external media storage but not all of the files on the drive. For the limited number of files that appear, multiple files produce an error messor when I try to play them. All
    of the media players I am trying (Media Player, Kodi, VLC) have the same issue, so it seems to be an Xbox software issue.

Specs:

Xbox One X

Drive: Seagate Expansion 8TB

Connected via USB; tried various USB ports

Media files: 414 .mkv files (backups of blu-rays and DVDs)

Symptoms:

- Xbox One X is recognizing the drive

- In the media players I've tried, all display only .mkv files 75/414; in alpha order, only displays up to titles starting with A through F; no titles starting with the letter "G" or later.

- Try to play various files that do appear, get an error message (in Microsoft Media Player): "Can't play. Please try again. If the problem continues," visit Xbox support, which has no info on this issue.

Tried restarting multiple times. Unplugging and replugging. Different USB ports. Followed Xbox support instructions for external drive recognition, including changing power setting to having the drive always on.

Any ideas?

WyattDowling, Nov 30, 2017
  3. Peter016852
    Peter016852 Guest
    Xbox One external harddrive problem

I wish to buy an external harddrive for the xbox, and I always wonder this question.......

I am to buy an extremely large external drive, like 8TB, then i am going to store all my games on xbox one on it of course, those I have now and I will have in future.

Then, can I plug out that drive and save media files from PC on it? I have an media library that I would like to back up in external (primary objective) and then I can also watch it on xbox one (secondary objective).

The thing is, if I finished transfering media to the drive and put it back in xbox one, will xbox alter those file without cosent? like, will xbox one delete those file if my future game installment is larger than available space without telling me before it do so? Or will it just outright overwrite the file even if the storage is not full?

I am sick of getting two external harddrive, buying 2x4TB for PC and Xbox is more expensive and in my region, 8TB of internal harddrive for PC is at exact same price as 8TB of USB 3.0 external harddrive.....

I am in such a worry because I have always assume xbox one as an evil, arrogant machine and the media library I wish to back up is very important.....

Sorry for my bad English, Please Help.

Peter016852, Nov 30, 2017
  4. MightyMiro_WD Win User

Xbox One and hard drive question

Hi there.

You should be able to play your media files from the drive - you just have to install Media Player app. When you run the Media Player app, select your external USB drive, then select the media that you want to play.

Only be careful not to format the drive because that way all the data stored on it will be erased.

Hope this helps.

Cheers! :)
  5. Farscape247 Win User

xbox one not able to stream video off of my Windows based pc!?

the media player includes dlna, so streaming from a pc, network drive works perfectly for me, you have the option to play files from usb also.
  6. Miss Portia Win User

Status code: 04-8007005b4 I can no longer play music after the update.

Hi! Where are you playing music? In Zune or from the Media Player? Is the music located on the hard drive, CD, USB Flash Drive, or on your PC? What type of music files are you trying to play? :)
  7. Hellfire IRL Win User

Does Xbox One Play MKV Video Files?

This is an old thread, very glad MS proved me wrong on this one. The media capabilities used to be a complete mess, now I havn't had a media file crash in over 4 months.

The native support for MKV is fantastic, it plays most formats within this container (forget about subtitles that aren't hardcoded though), even better than some .avi files - I use PLEX as a remote media server, although the media player app can also run
    MKVs off a USB drive or from your networked media player library.

Not sure about DVD/BR support, in my experience the media player app is best utilised running over a network.
  8. eber3 Win User

xbox one not able to stream video off of my Windows based pc!?

Maybe I'm reading something wrong at your link, but I see this...

"What are the different ways to play audio, photo and video content on Media Player?"

ANSWER: "You can play media from a USB 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0 removable drive."

So no mention of streaming directly from your PC.

"Is there third-party software that I can use to stream media content from my PC to Media Player?"

ANSWER: "The Xbox One team tests extensively to ensure that Xbox will work well with Windows Media Player software. If you decide to use third-party software, contact that software’s manufacturer for support."

Why would you need a third party to stream content if Media Player had that ability? Looks to me like X1 can only play content via USB or other removable device unless a non supported third party work around is used to stream content to Media Player. Big
    step back from the 360. Don't know why they just didn't make it work with "Media Center" like on the 360.
Thema:

1. Media Player can not play multimedia files from big USB had drives (8TB) - Similar Threads - Media Player play

2. does downloading the DTS Unbound app onto Xbox 1 s enable the Windows Media Player to play...

in XBoX Accessibility
    does downloading the DTS Unbound app onto Xbox 1 s enable the Windows Media Player to play...: does downloading the DTS Unbound app onto Xbox 1 s enable the Windows Media Player to play and control a DTS CD? 20c201d9-9ca9-4fd5-9f6c-2478fff8516b
  3. Why won't Movies&TV or Media Player play mp4 vids? Xbox One S

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why won't Movies&TV or Media Player play mp4 vids? Xbox One S: It plays the sound track but no picture? (scratching head) acdf9ac3-2b4e-4816-94d8-f50c4ba9b616
  4. Media Player app, stops playing every 20 minutes. I tried to play film from HDD storage.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Media Player app, stops playing every 20 minutes. I tried to play film from HDD storage.: Media Player app, stops playing every 20 minutes. I tried to play film from HDD storage. What is the problem? 292ecfc9-51a0-4faf-947d-e894561519cd
  5. Xbox Media player can't play MKV files.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Media player can't play MKV files.: According to this .... https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/xbox-video/mkv-support MKV is supported but at this moment I don't see the 'Play To' on my PC to stream. It seems my Xbox one is...
  6. media player continuous play

in XBoX Games and Apps
    media player continuous play: Is there anyway to turn off continuous play on the XBONE media player? Playing from external HD. 9ee5022e-05ab-44d7-afe2-5f93af91c2c6
  7. Media Player/USB movies do not play in 5.1 surround through A/V system

in XBoX on Consoles
    Media Player/USB movies do not play in 5.1 surround through A/V system: Unfortunately, I had to replace my old Sony A/V system due to loose HDMI connections. I purchased an Onkyo 5.2 receiver as its replacement. I have a 5.1 speaker setup. I have a cable box,...
  8. Groove and Media Player won't play my music

in XBoX on Consoles
    Groove and Media Player won't play my music: I find it slightly odd I'm posting this on Xbox support since this if for a PC app but this is where I was directed by the error message. In any case, I tried to play some of my music on my...
  9. Problem using large external hard drive to play video files via Media Player app

in XBoX on Consoles
    Problem using large external hard drive to play video files via Media Player app: Hello, This is the first time posting something on here. The information here is lengthy, but I wanted to provide a comprehensive description at my problem. Thanks in advance for any...
  10. XBOX ONE Media Player App, play by track number instead of alphabetical file order.

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX ONE Media Player App, play by track number instead of alphabetical file order.: I have a thumb drive connected to my XBOX ONE with my music collection on it. When I play an album its playing the songs in alphabetical order by the actual file name. How do I get it to play them...