Media Player app no longer finding files on USB device after latest Xbox update

Discus and support Media Player app no longer finding files on USB device after latest Xbox update in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Every time I put the USB device in now, it says, "No files found". Files that worked just fine recently, before the latest Xbox update. I also tested... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Wushu Goddess, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Media Player app no longer finding files on USB device after latest Xbox update

Every time I put the USB device in now, it says, "No files found". Files that worked just fine recently, before the latest Xbox update. I also tested the device elsewhere and the files were still there and worked fine. Could you stop breaking things, Microsoft?
    Get out of my china shop.

Anyone else having this problem/anyone know what's going on/anyone have any information?

:)

Wushu Goddess, Aug 8, 2016
  2. kennyg75
    kennyg75 Guest
    Can Xbox One do it?

kennyg75, Aug 8, 2016
  3. sniffles x
    sniffles x Guest
    Why can't i play MKV files on my Xbox One? after recent update?

Taken from the preview forums:

sniffles x, Aug 8, 2016
  4. xxx13UDxxx
    xxx13UDxxx Guest

I am having the same issue with my external drive and my DVD/BluRay player as well. It all worked fine till I updated. I have tried all the steps listed in the FAQ/Support Boards. I did find that if I used a smaller drive it works. My usual drive is a 1TB
    drive with a 3.0 USB, I have a 2GB flash drive that I can put a movie on and watch. As far as DVD/BluRay nothing, says I need to connect to a network. I don't have the internet where I live, I have to bring my console to a friend or relative and update there.
    This essentially makes my xbox useless, since there are only a handful of games I can play off line that I enjoy. This makes Sony look like the better option, especially with the New Playstation around the corner.

xxx13UDxxx, Aug 9, 2016
  5. Having the same issue,

External HD is no longer being recognized now when plugged in. Confirmed that it works, files still exist, etc.

This is really frustrating, as I've done everything listed in the FAQ and all Xbox Support is saying is for me to reformat my drive... as if that's a reasonable response to something that is obviously a problem with their latest software update.

Fix your *** Microsoft! This is ridiculous.

reinvent626exit, Aug 9, 2016
  6. Miss Bijoux
    Miss Bijoux Guest
    Hey guys -

Sorry to hear about the issues. If you haven't yet, please take a look at
    this guide for troubleshooting storage device issues
    . Please try the steps provided to see if that resolves the issue. Additionally, please try plugging your storage devices into different USB ports and/or using different cables to see if the issue resolves.

Keep us posted so we can keep tracking the information. Thanks!

Miss Bijoux, Aug 10, 2016
  7. David_DC
    David_DC Guest
    So... Months (and many updates) later this problem still is a thing. (it has nothing to do with the HDD)

David_DC, Oct 29, 2016
  8. bboy lboogie
    bboy lboogie Guest

I am also having this problem. I plug my external 1t hard drive into my computer, no problem. I plug it into 2 different meds players in other rooms, no problem. I plug it into my brand new 1 day old Xbox one, "no files found".. Honestly thinking of taking
    it back and getting a PS4.

bboy lboogie, Nov 2, 2018
  9. Miss Bijoux Win User

Hey guys -

Sorry to hear about the issues. If you haven't yet, please take a look at
    this guide for troubleshooting storage device issues
    . Please try the steps provided to see if that resolves the issue. Additionally, please try plugging your storage devices into different USB ports and/or using different cables to see if the issue resolves.

Keep us posted so we can keep tracking the information. Thanks!
  10. bboy lboogie Win User

I am also having this problem. I plug my external 1t hard drive into my computer, no problem. I plug it into 2 different meds players in other rooms, no problem. I plug it into my brand new 1 day old Xbox one, "no files found".. Honestly thinking of taking
    it back and getting a PS4.
  11. David_DC Win User

So... Months (and many updates) later this problem still is a thing. (it has nothing to do with the HDD)
  12. reinvent626exit Win User

Having the same issue,

External HD is no longer being recognized now when plugged in. Confirmed that it works, files still exist, etc.

This is really frustrating, as I've done everything listed in the FAQ and all Xbox Support is saying is for me to reformat my drive... as if that's a reasonable response to something that is obviously a problem with their latest software update.

Fix your *** Microsoft! This is ridiculous.
  13. xxx13UDxxx Win User

I am having the same issue with my external drive and my DVD/BluRay player as well. It all worked fine till I updated. I have tried all the steps listed in the FAQ/Support Boards. I did find that if I used a smaller drive it works. My usual drive is a 1TB
    drive with a 3.0 USB, I have a 2GB flash drive that I can put a movie on and watch. As far as DVD/BluRay nothing, says I need to connect to a network. I don't have the internet where I live, I have to bring my console to a friend or relative and update there.
    This essentially makes my xbox useless, since there are only a handful of games I can play off line that I enjoy. This makes Sony look like the better option, especially with the New Playstation around the corner.
Thema:

1. Media Player app no longer finding files on USB device after latest Xbox update - Similar Threads - Media Player app

2. Windows media player issues or flaws and accessories app issues Xbox system feature missing.

in XboX Insiders
    Windows media player issues or flaws and accessories app issues Xbox system feature missing.: It has no media server access, and it has an unfriendly UI when navigating through a large library of music. Also it's impossible to transfer from PC to internal storage. It reads metadata...
  3. Media Player for Xbox Series S is asking me to "Sign In" when opening the app. error code...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Media Player for Xbox Series S is asking me to "Sign In" when opening the app. error code...: I am trying to view my screenshots and clips on my Seagate Portable 1TB External Hard Drive but when I access the Media Player app it tells me to sign in and none of my captures are in the hard...
  4. Windows Media Player on Xbox Series X crashes after switching to another app

in XBoX on Windows
    Windows Media Player on Xbox Series X crashes after switching to another app: If I'm playing a song on windows media player, and I switch to another app, the song plays in the background for around 4 seconds before stopping and the app crashes entirely....
  5. does downloading the DTS Unbound app onto Xbox 1 s enable the Windows Media Player to play...

in XBoX Accessibility
    does downloading the DTS Unbound app onto Xbox 1 s enable the Windows Media Player to play...: does downloading the DTS Unbound app onto Xbox 1 s enable the Windows Media Player to play and control a DTS CD? 20c201d9-9ca9-4fd5-9f6c-2478fff8516b
  6. DLNA broken with new Media Player app?

in XboX Insiders
    DLNA broken with new Media Player app?: A recent Xbox update included a new "Media Player" app. This app replaced Groove Music and automatically launches whenever I attempt to cast media (audio) from my home PC or Android phone to the...
  7. DLNA PlayTo not working with new Windows Media Player app on Xbox Series

in XBoX on Windows
    DLNA PlayTo not working with new Windows Media Player app on Xbox Series: Previously I was able to use the "Cast to device" DLNA functionality built into windows (or other dlna "play-to" apps) to play music to my Xbox Series consoles. After being forced to update to the...
  8. Xbox One S not reading files from extHD in media player app

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox One S not reading files from extHD in media player app: Anybody else still having this issue 1 month and a bit later? It reads my 1TB and 2TB but not my 5TB in media player. submitted by /u/JesseJayy420 [link] [comments]
  9. Media player app issues for external hard drive

in XboX Insiders
    Media player app issues for external hard drive: Anyone having issues since latest update? Like not working? submitted by /u/Shmeediddy [link] [comments]
  10. Can't Resume the Media Player App After Latest System Update (Restarts After Playing a Game)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't Resume the Media Player App After Latest System Update (Restarts After Playing a Game): I know I must be the only one who uses the Media Player app on a regular basis, but after the latest system update, it keeps restarting when switching back after a game. This was not the case...