Media player app - external hard drive not recognised but finds USB?

Discus and support Media player app - external hard drive not recognised but finds USB? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I'm looking to set up my Xbox One as a media hub utilising my external hard drive, it's formatted to exFat so i can transfer files from both OSX &... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by PooPlayer2209, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Media player app - external hard drive not recognised but finds USB?

I'm looking to set up my Xbox One as a media hub utilising my external hard drive, it's formatted to exFat so i can transfer files from both OSX & Windows which i know the console cat read but the Media Player app can't see the drive even though the console
    is picking it up?? I've tried a USB stick in exFat and works fine with the app, can anyone help? Tried reformatting again but doesn't work?

It's a LaCie Porsche 2TB 7200rpm model with USB 3.0, have tried plugging the it into each USB port but nothing, works fine on both my Macs and a Windows PC

:)

PooPlayer2209, Apr 8, 2017
  2. Smith Animal
    Smith Animal Guest
    Xbox One no longer recognizes my external hard drive's media content after the update

Before the update I had no issue at all plugging my external hard drive in and using the "media player" app to watch everything. Ever since I downloaded the new update when I launch the media player app I get the "No devices found" message. Is this a known
    issue? Are there any solutions?

The external is a Seagate 1TB external hard drive.

I should note here it recognizes my hard drive as a storage device, but no longer the media content on it.

Smith Animal, Apr 8, 2017
  3. Media player help

Afternoon, my Xbox has recognised my external storage device but when I go on media play it just says no device found. Any help would be greatly appreciated. i know it's not a hard drive problem as I've been able to access my media prior to this happening.
    Cheers guys.

I LOVE NORRIS, Apr 8, 2017
  4. NZEG The Sniper Win User

Xbox one won't store games on external hard drive

It never prompted to format hard drive it just prompted to download the media player preview app which allows me to view files in my hard drive, I can't find any other app that suggests external storage, and the USB cable has a different connection on the
    back of the hard drive, where would I find another one of those cables?
  5. Hordie Win User

Why can't the ONE play the same media files as 360 ???

Open the media player app. When you run the Media Player app, select your external USB drive, and then select the media that you want to play.
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

USB drive, external drive didn't work with Xbox one.

You can already use USB Flash drives and hard drives on Xbox One to view videos, music and pictures. To view these files you first need to download the Media Player Preview App from the Xbox One Marketplace. Connect your device and load the app.

To use an external hard drive for Xbox One storage, the device itself must be at least 256GB and USB 3.0. Which means the external storage for Xbox One data must be a hard drive, USB Flash drives are not supported for Xbox One storage.
  7. Norvík De Clare Win User

My Series X no longer recognises my Samsung T5 external SSD for media. Help!

Good news !

There is a new Xbox update available now, that should fix this problem. 🎉

Thank you mjmcss for creating this thread for all the players with this problem (me too).
    I am suddenly having this exact problem with multiple external hard disc drives used only for media file playback, but only SINCE the most recent update (my Xbox Series X was updated 25/09/2021).

The drives are from Seagate, and from WD, USB 3.0, and all working fine on a Windows 10 laptop, all are formatted NTFS, and the sizes are two 4TB drives, and one 5TB drive (Seagate).

The drives are recognised, I get the standard 'Use this as a media drive or for Xbox storage' Xbox system question and after I answer 'Use for media' the drive just disappears.

Kodi cannot see it, VLC cannot see it and it isn't listed under System - Storage Devices either.

EDIT:

I tried a USB flash drive, formatted for NTFS, and that is recognised and works without any issues, so this isn't a USB port problem, it is an external hard disc drive problem.
  8. SilentRaver69 Win User

External hard drive recognised but not

If you need help with your Hard drive check out the support page
    Troubleshoot external storage detection on Xbox One
    I followed the guide on that link but it didn't help my problem the device is recognised it's on the list but when I go into media player or even pick it from the list in settings it comes up no device recognised in media player
Thema:

Media player app - external hard drive not recognised but finds USB?

1. Media player app - external hard drive not recognised but finds USB? - Similar Threads - Media player app

2. Windows media player issues or flaws and accessories app issues Xbox system feature missing.

in XboX Insiders
    Windows media player issues or flaws and accessories app issues Xbox system feature missing.: It has no media server access, and it has an unfriendly UI when navigating through a large library of music. Also it's impossible to transfer from PC to internal storage. It reads metadata...
  3. Media Player for Xbox Series S is asking me to "Sign In" when opening the app. error code...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Media Player for Xbox Series S is asking me to "Sign In" when opening the app. error code...: I am trying to view my screenshots and clips on my Seagate Portable 1TB External Hard Drive but when I access the Media Player app it tells me to sign in and none of my captures are in the hard...
  4. Windows Media Player on Xbox Series X crashes after switching to another app

in XBoX on Windows
    Windows Media Player on Xbox Series X crashes after switching to another app: If I'm playing a song on windows media player, and I switch to another app, the song plays in the background for around 4 seconds before stopping and the app crashes entirely....
  5. does downloading the DTS Unbound app onto Xbox 1 s enable the Windows Media Player to play...

in XBoX Accessibility
    does downloading the DTS Unbound app onto Xbox 1 s enable the Windows Media Player to play...: does downloading the DTS Unbound app onto Xbox 1 s enable the Windows Media Player to play and control a DTS CD? 20c201d9-9ca9-4fd5-9f6c-2478fff8516b
  6. DLNA broken with new Media Player app?

in XboX Insiders
    DLNA broken with new Media Player app?: A recent Xbox update included a new "Media Player" app. This app replaced Groove Music and automatically launches whenever I attempt to cast media (audio) from my home PC or Android phone to the...
  7. DLNA PlayTo not working with new Windows Media Player app on Xbox Series

in XBoX on Windows
    DLNA PlayTo not working with new Windows Media Player app on Xbox Series: Previously I was able to use the "Cast to device" DLNA functionality built into windows (or other dlna "play-to" apps) to play music to my Xbox Series consoles. After being forced to update to the...
  8. Xbox One S not reading files from extHD in media player app

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox One S not reading files from extHD in media player app: Anybody else still having this issue 1 month and a bit later? It reads my 1TB and 2TB but not my 5TB in media player. submitted by /u/JesseJayy420 [link] [comments]
  9. Media player app issues for external hard drive

in XboX Insiders
    Media player app issues for external hard drive: Anyone having issues since latest update? Like not working? submitted by /u/Shmeediddy [link] [comments]
  10. Can't Resume the Media Player App After Latest System Update (Restarts After Playing a Game)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't Resume the Media Player App After Latest System Update (Restarts After Playing a Game): I know I must be the only one who uses the Media Player app on a regular basis, but after the latest system update, it keeps restarting when switching back after a game. This was not the case...