Kinect IR Emitter for TV/Cable Box control stopped working

Discus and support Kinect IR Emitter for TV/Cable Box control stopped working in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi, For the past week my Kinect stopped controlling my TV and cable box. It used to work perfectly and nothing changed hardware wise so I don't know... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by RobertEagan, Dec 5, 2015.

1. RobertEagan
    RobertEagan Guest

Hi,

For the past week my Kinect stopped controlling my TV and cable box. It used to work perfectly and nothing changed hardware wise so I don't know what's going on. I did every reset procedure and still nothing. I also did a test that I found on the xbox
    troubleshooting Microsoft website where is says use a camera (not IR blocking type) to see if the IR emitter works. Article found here: Use OneGuide on Xbox One | Voice Commands for OneGuide

So I did the test and saw the usual three IR emitters but when I did a command to change TV volume or change the channel of the cable box I did not see another emitter to the right of the others and near the white Xbox symbol light up (looking through
    a camera that picks up IR) so this tells me no IR signal is being emitted to control the TV or cable box. This being said all other aspects of the Kinect work like the camera and mic and the Xbox recognizes that it is connected.

I have had sporadic issues in the past where the Kinect would randomly stop controlling the TV & cable box but usually a complete power down then turn back on would make it work again. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can reset the Kinect or Xbox or
    doing anything else to help me fix this issue?

Thanks for your help!

:)

RobertEagan, Dec 5, 2015
  2. ThaMeepTots
    ThaMeepTots Guest
    Can I use Kinect as an IR receiver when using my cable remote?

I have my cable box (and now my xbox one) in an enclosed cabinet underneath my TV (although it is spacious on the inside). Previously, I had an IR receiver sitting right in front of my TV (with the emitter down on my cable box in the cabinet), but I would
    love to do away with that now that I have the Kinect sitting there. I have my cable box connected via HDMI to my xbox one and that's all working great.. but the only thing I can't do now is control my cable with the remote control (when I need to access my
    DVR recordings and such). Would I be able to plug an IR extension cable into the IR Out port on the back of the xbox one and put the emitter on my cable box to make that work? I just need the signal to get from my remote to the cable box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ThaMeepTots, Dec 5, 2015
  3. Loose ld
    Loose ld Guest
    IR port not working with Kinect disconnected... can't change channels with separate IR emitter cable?

I don't want to use the Kinect, but still want to change channels. I used an IR emitter cable and plugged it into the IR OUT 3.5mm port on the back of the Xbox One. But when I select a channel in the OneGuide, I get a pop-up message saying "We can't change
    channels. Hold "Home" button for more info"... selecting that just takes me to Kinect setup saying I need to have Kinect plugged in. So can you use the IR port without the Kinect to control my cable box? Could I have a bad IR emitter cable?

Loose ld, Dec 5, 2015
  4. RobertEagan
    RobertEagan Guest

I see my thread got moved around to a few different sections before settling here. Does anyone have any ideas about my issue? At first I thought it might be a hardware issue like maybe the IR emitter is busted but now my volume up/down is working but my
    system is still not turning the TV on/off and cable box on/off when the Xbox is turned on/off.

Regards,

Johnny Sacramoni Jr.

RobertEagan, Dec 6, 2015
  5. I notice since the recent update, the IR emitters on the Kinect also is not working like it should. If yours is adjusting the volume, but not turning the TV on and off, try resetting the values on the remote settings for the TV and cable box in the xbox
    console. That may work; but if it does not, do a hard reset and if it still does not work, you should issue a formal bug report with Microsoft.

GrinningBread92, Dec 6, 2015
  6. RobertEagan
    RobertEagan Guest
    When you say hard reset do you mean hold down the xbox button on the console for 10 seconds so it fully powers off or pull power cord out completely? Or is there another way to hard reset.

Thanks,

J Sack Jr.

RobertEagan, Dec 6, 2015
  7. RobertEagan
    RobertEagan Guest
    I checked my serial number and I find it amazing such an expensive electronic device only has a one year warranty. Shows that they don't have much confidence in their quality. Something like this should have a 3 year or at the bare minimum a 2 year.

RobertEagan, Dec 9, 2015
  8. Kinect IR Emitter for TV/Cable Box control stopped working

A hard reset means the power button on the console is pushed until the console fully shuts off.

You may end up doing a factory reset on the console.

GrinningBread92, Dec 9, 2015
  9. RobertEagan
    RobertEagan Guest
    I've done the power button hard reset shutting the console off many times with no luck. This usually has worked in the past when the kinect would stop shutting my tv and cable box off but not this time. How do I do a factory reset, will that delete my
    game data?

Thanks,

Johnny Sacramoni Jr.

(Fanablah!)

RobertEagan, Dec 9, 2015
  10. A factory reset deletes everything off the internal HDD. Since the games you bought are stored in your account, you will be able to download the games again. It also wipes clean the user settings where the TV remote codes are wiped clean.

GrinningBread92, Dec 9, 2015
  11. OK there press your console button for 8 seconds and unplug from mains unplug Kinect.

plug console back into mains and power up, Go into settings and choose Kinect.

Plug Kinect into console and wait for it to be recognised you will need to do the sound test and adjustments, Hope this helps.

GrowlingYapper, Dec 9, 2015
  12. RobertEagan
    RobertEagan Guest
    I tried the hard reset again with no luck. I even get period alert from OneGuide that the xbox can control changing the channels and that I should plug the Kinect in even though it is already plugged in. The funny thing is even though I get this alert
    the xbox still recognizes that the Kinect is plugged in for every other aspect of its functions like the camera and voice commands. This sucks I can't figure this out!

RobertEagan, Oct 31, 2018
  13. RobertEagan Win User

I tried the hard reset again with no luck. I even get period alert from OneGuide that the xbox can control changing the channels and that I should plug the Kinect in even though it is already plugged in. The funny thing is even though I get this alert
    the xbox still recognizes that the Kinect is plugged in for every other aspect of its functions like the camera and voice commands. This sucks I can't figure this out!
  14. GrinningBread92 Win User

A hard reset means the power button on the console is pushed until the console fully shuts off.

You may end up doing a factory reset on the console.
  15. GrinningBread92 Win User

A factory reset deletes everything off the internal HDD. Since the games you bought are stored in your account, you will be able to download the games again. It also wipes clean the user settings where the TV remote codes are wiped clean.
  16. RobertEagan Win User

I've done the power button hard reset shutting the console off many times with no luck. This usually has worked in the past when the kinect would stop shutting my tv and cable box off but not this time. How do I do a factory reset, will that delete my
    game data?

Thanks,

Johnny Sacramoni Jr.

(Fanablah!)
  17. RobertEagan Win User

I checked my serial number and I find it amazing such an expensive electronic device only has a one year warranty. Shows that they don't have much confidence in their quality. Something like this should have a 3 year or at the bare minimum a 2 year.
Thema:

1. Kinect IR Emitter for TV/Cable Box control stopped working - Similar Threads - Kinect Emitter Cable

2. Why isn't my XBOX 360 Kinect sensor show the rest of my body?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why isn't my XBOX 360 Kinect sensor show the rest of my body?: Only my head and arms are recognized, I think it's broken. Is there anything that you could recommend? 5d5e479b-7f16-4c03-89de-90fa1bbb030a
  3. Looking for pdf user manual for Kinect V2

in XBoX on Consoles
    Looking for pdf user manual for Kinect V2: Hi, I would need to download the pdf version of the user manual of Kinect V2, but it looks like it's missing from the Microsoft website. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks /D...
  4. My Xbox360 is asking for a system update for the Kinect feature, but I don’t see it...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox360 is asking for a system update for the Kinect feature, but I don’t see it...: I want to be able to play old Kinect games like Dance Central 1-3 and Kinect sports with my siblings to have fun again. Until I was met with my Xbox360 saying that a system update is required, but...
  5. Xbox 360 kinect will not work without system update. How can I update now that Xbox 360 is...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 kinect will not work without system update. How can I update now that Xbox 360 is...: I bought Xbox 360 with kinect when Just Dance came out - so a long time ago. Unfortunately, I was unable to play it very often. I recently decided to get it out of the closet after after not being...
  6. For an Xbox one Kinect, do i need to purchase a new adapter?

in XBoX on Consoles
    For an Xbox one Kinect, do i need to purchase a new adapter?: I have an Xbox one kinect that my mother recently bought for my Xbox one S, yet it doesnt match any of the ports on the back of my xbox. So i have to ask, do i have to buy a completely new...
  7. Kinect issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Kinect issue: Good day, so I recently got my Xbox one updated using the latest offline update software, set up went well, however upon trying to plug in my Kinect I am met with an error "there was a problem...
  8. Microsoft Edge Xbox One Kinect Crashing browser (Fix or solution?)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Microsoft Edge Xbox One Kinect Crashing browser (Fix or solution?): Hello and happy holidays to everyone, I have a problem here. I have an Xbox one, the black version and I want to Video chat with my friend with my Xbox One Kinect on Microsoft Edge, the problem...
  9. How do I legally emulate Xbox 360 games(Including Kinect games) on windows 10/11?

in XBoX on Windows
    How do I legally emulate Xbox 360 games(Including Kinect games) on windows 10/11?: I want to play xbox 360 games on my pc because some of them are discontinued and most of them are cheaper. After I sold my xbox 360 console, but a few years later I found my xbox 360 games that I...
  10. Why are my photos on Kinect adventures gone, I used to be able to view them now I have non

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why are my photos on Kinect adventures gone, I used to be able to view them now I have non: I still have the achievements that it gave me for the photos? Please help this is an Xbox 360 c436e454-7936-4d55-9623-21d3bd314a6f

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kinect v2 two ir emitter not working