Is Xbox One S unable to connect to 5Ghz networks broadcasting on DFS channels (e.g.: 116)?

Discus and support Is Xbox One S unable to connect to 5Ghz networks broadcasting on DFS channels (e.g.: 116)? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have an Xbox Series S (hereafter "XS") and an Xbox One S (hereafter "XO"). I swapped my router's 5Ghz channel from 149 to DFS (radar) channel 116. XS... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Etanarvazac Revorix, Oct 31, 2023.

1. Is Xbox One S unable to connect to 5Ghz networks broadcasting on DFS channels (e.g.: 116)?

I have an Xbox Series S (hereafter "XS") and an Xbox One S (hereafter "XO"). I swapped my router's 5Ghz channel from 149 to DFS (radar) channel 116. XS detected the network perfectly fine whereas the XO failed to find the network even though it was connected to it previously. I chose channel 116 specifically after researching which DFS channels were used less for radar (spite my router having the ability to seemly switch back to non-DFS channels, should radar be detected). I noticed higher upload/download speeds on the XS verses any non-DFS channel (and I mean at least 125-150MB difference out of 400MB max speed). If there is a way to correct this so the XO can see the network on DFS channels, please let me know.

:)

Etanarvazac Revorix, Oct 31, 2023
  2. David Wirsching Win User

Is Xbox One S unable to connect to 5Ghz networks broadcasting on DFS channels (e.g.: 116)?

Hello Etanarvazac R, My name is David. I am an independent advisor, happy to help you today.

Yes, it is possible that the Xbox One S (XO) may have limitations when it comes to connecting to 5GHz networks broadcasting on DFS (Dynamic Frequency Selection) channels, such as channel 116. DFS channels are subject to regulatory requirements because they share the same frequency range as certain radar systems, and as a result, devices need to meet specific criteria to operate on these channels.

The Xbox One S and Xbox Series S may have different Wi-Fi hardware capabilities and firmware support, which could explain why the Xbox Series S (XS) is able to detect and connect to the network on DFS channel 116 while the Xbox One S (XO) cannot.

To confirm if the Xbox One S is indeed unable to connect to DFS channels, you can try the following steps:

Change your router's 5GHz channel: Set your router to a non-DFS channel that is within the supported range of the Xbox One S (e.g., channels 36-48 or 149-165). This will help determine if the Xbox One S can connect to the network on a non-DFS channel.

Update the Xbox One S firmware: Make sure your Xbox One S is running the latest system software and firmware updates. Sometimes, firmware updates can include improvements to Wi-Fi connectivity and compatibility.

Best regards.
  3. Etanarvazac Revorix Win User

Hello David,

I started messing around with it a bit today and found that disconnecting it from the network, doing a full shutdown, then trying again allowed the XO to find the network on a DFS channel.
    To further this, I do recommend that before one switches between channels, to have the Xbox One completely on and connected to the network when doing the switch. Routers are designed to inform devices connected to them what channel the network broadcast is moving to. So with the active connection to the console while it is completely turned on, do the channel change. This will send the Xbox One "Hey, I'm moving this network to channel 120, a DFS channel!" and therefor, the console should begin looking for it on that new channel. As far as I can tell, this may be the only and easiest way to do this at this current time.
  4. Etanarvazac Revorix Win User

Hello David,

I started messing around with it a bit today and found that disconnecting it from the network, doing a full shutdown, then trying again allowed the XO to find the network on a DFS channel.
  5. David Wirsching Win User

That's great, I'm glad you found a way to connect to the network.
  6. Samuel3201 Win User

Wireless N Adapter can only connect to 802.11g

Your settings should be as follows:

5GHZ: Network Mode: Mixed

Channel Width: Auto (20MHz or 40MHz)

Channel: AUTO (DFS)

SSID Broadcast: Enabled

2.4 GHZ: Network Mode: Mixed

Channel Width: 20MHz Only

Channel: AUTO

SSID Broadcast: Enabled

***NEVER force a network mode to only be 802.11n/g You will always end up with problems.

I hope this helps bud!

Your fellow Xbox Live Ambassador,

Thema:

1. Is Xbox One S unable to connect to 5Ghz networks broadcasting on DFS channels (e.g.: 116)? - Similar Threads - unable connect 5Ghz

2. Minecraft "unable to connect to world" issue

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Minecraft "unable to connect to world" issue: Recently I've been having a lot of issues with being unable to join my family in Minecraft. I am trying to get a Nintendo Switch to join a PC world. They are both on bedrock edition, both have...
  3. Unable to connect to internet

in XBoX on Consoles
    Unable to connect to internet: I've had internet issues in the past because of my ISP, but today after disconnecting the Ethernet cable from my series S, I can no longer connect to the internet, already tried both 2.4 & 5 GHz...
  4. unable to connect to xbox live but can connect to internet

in XBoX on Consoles
    unable to connect to xbox live but can connect to internet: what should i do i already cleared cache system i did check alerts i dont know what to do my xbox 360 cant connect to xbox live 8074ae89-f382-4f8c-9921-5b008a1a835b
  5. Xbox 360 unable to connect to live on Xbox Series X

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 unable to connect to live on Xbox Series X: All of the sudden I am unable to connect to Xbox live on reverse compatability games for the Xbox 360 on the Xbox Series X despite being online on the Xbox Series X, hard-wired, with an open NAT...
  6. I am unable to load into Fortnite yet have full connectivity from Wifi.

in XBoX on Consoles
    I am unable to load into Fortnite yet have full connectivity from Wifi.: I have been trying to load into fortnite for over an hour. I appear to be having an issie with my wifi yet my xbox states all tests are able to be passed, connection tests, internet speed tests,...
  7. Unable to connect to Xbox live through backwards compatibility.

in XBoX on Windows
    Unable to connect to Xbox live through backwards compatibility.: As the title reads, I’m unable to connect to Xbox live through backwards compatibility through Xbox 360. The issue started yesterday and I just thought the servers were down but it turns out it...
  8. Xbox unable to connect to internet

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox unable to connect to internet: I have a xbox 360 with me and I have been trying to connect to xbox live for past couple of months but have failed miserably. It is showing ICMP error each time I try and connect and have no clue...
  9. Unabl to connect withe the showr

in XBoX on Consoles
    Unabl to connect withe the showr: I am connected think internet but I can't connect to Xbox Live a4ab5347-082b-4647-98f3-18bb62387b21
  10. Xbox series s unable to connect to xbox network

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series s unable to connect to xbox network: Logged off the console last night everything was fine. This morning its unable to connect to the network. Tried doing a console reset (power cycle) and then tried a reboot. Now it wont load up as...