Is there a way to play backup videos, from the Movies and TV app, on an Xbox Series X?

Discus and support Is there a way to play backup videos, from the Movies and TV app, on an Xbox Series X? in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; Hello, so am running into an issue and I was wondering if anyone knows of a fix. So I bought a TV series on the Movies & TV app, and it works correctly... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Zor007, Jan 14, 2024.

1. Zor007
    Zor007 Guest

Is there a way to play backup videos, from the Movies and TV app, on an Xbox Series X?

Hello, so am running into an issue and I was wondering if anyone knows of a fix. So I bought a TV series on the Movies & TV app, and it works correctly while streaming it on either my PC or Xbox Series X.

The issue am running into is that when I backup the videos (downloaded them to an external SSD, just in case my internet goes out and I want to watch them) that they won’t play on the Xbox Series X. The backups work on the PC, but for some reason the Xbox Series X won’t play them. When I try on the Xbox Series X version of the Movies and TV app, it displays the error:

Can’t Play

Playback of protected video files is not supported’

0xc10100bc

I can still stream the videos from there without issue. But it won’t play the videos, which it should know I own, since, like I said, I can stream them.

So yeah, I was wondering if anyone knows of a fix for this, if there a different process I need to do, in order to play back up videos on an Xbox series X, or if the Xbox Series X has some kind of always online DRM that prevents watching backup videos.

:)

Zor007, Jan 14, 2024
  2. rudipops1 Win User

HELP!!!

Yes, music and music videos were discontinued after Xbox one parted ways from the Grove subscription. The Xbox only has movies & TV as entertainment app and apps such as Spotify and pandora for music.
  3. airmattdog Win User

Film Rental on Xbox 360 ERROR C101a3ff

Try restoring your purchases through the settings menu of the app.

Open the Movies & TV app

Swipe to the left to go to My Videos

Select Account Management

Select Purchased Movies

Press the X button to refresh purchase history

Let this run for a couple minutes and then try playing your movie again.
  4. DarrenThorley Win User

How do I classify videos as movie or tv so they appear with purchased movies or tv shows?

I have a collection of movies and TV shows saved on a NAS drive. I copied a movie and a TV series locally to the Surface in to the appropriate folders alongside videos purchased from the XBox store.

The paths created by the XBox store when I downloaded the purchased material are as follows:

C:\Users\username\Videos\Movies

C:\Users\username\Videos\TV

So (as I mentioned) I copied my wmv videos in to the Movies folder for the movie and in to the TV folder for the TV series (following the same folder convention as used by the XBox store (C:\Users\username\Videos\TV\Show Name\Season Number) and following
    the same file naming format (Episode number follows by Episode Name).

This means my personal material is saved alongside the purchased material on the Surface. The fact that the material appears in the "Other" classification instead of in either "TV" or "Movie" leads me to think that there must be some metadata somewhere that
    the XBox Video App is using to classify things instead of the folder structure.

I'm really hoping someone can help explain how it works, what to change in my own collection manually and whether there are any tools out there that would make batch editing easier.

Thanks for replying
  5. CenteredTangent Win User

Movies won’t play on Xbox Series X

I recently purchased a movie on my Xbox series X via the Microsoft Store. It then pushes me to download the Movies and TV app to watch it. When I go to play the movie, it will not play. I have tried restarting the console. I was on the phone with Microsoft for 40 minutes trying to get it to work with then forcing a reset of my console and still nothing. After all that the guy tells me to go to Xbox.com/refunds and file a refund request. I do that and a day later I get an email saying my refund has been declined and to reference section 16 of Microsoft Terms of Sale. It was actually section 15 but it says that movies are not refundable. How can Microsoft get away with ripping people off like this? I could understand you regret buying something, but if it doesn’t work at all how is that your fault?

Im including a link to a YouTube video of exactly what happens.

https://youtu.be/HiDYBNL-86c

*** Moved from Music, Movies & TV / Movies & TV ***

*** Moved from Gaming and Xbox / Hardware and network / Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One ***
    Ayuda para conectar mi cuenta
  6. KingOfTheRen Win User

Series X.... what TV we going with?

I'm rocking the Samsung Q8FN (65') with my One X currently and I'm actually going to Upgrade to the Q9 (82') for the Series X. I know there is upscaling with the 8K TV's but I personally feel we are a long way from that still, content wise. Most movies,
    shows, apps, etc are JUST getting on the 4K wagon now so I'll be holding off on an 8K for a while.
Thema:

1. Is there a way to play backup videos, from the Movies and TV app, on an Xbox Series X? - Similar Threads - play backup videos

2. I lost my player career mode when I auto saved two careers while playing online. Can I get...

in XBoX on Windows
    I lost my player career mode when I auto saved two careers while playing online. Can I get...: Is there any way to get it back? 7b2f01a3-6268-4912-bdd3-af574b74e876
  3. did anyone figure out how to play with friends in keplerth me and my friend can't join each...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    did anyone figure out how to play with friends in keplerth me and my friend can't join each...: did anyone figure out how to play with friends in keplerth me and my friend can't join each other f5fed898-2f87-4e6a-9f9a-116c71c17ba6
  4. I really want to play the game We Happy Few on Xbox one with my mouse and keyboard, the...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I really want to play the game We Happy Few on Xbox one with my mouse and keyboard, the...: I really want to play the game We Happy Few on Xbox one with my mouse and keyboard, the keyboard works well but the mouse doesn't, I tested with different mice and it didn't work...
  5. Cloud saved game data storage full. Can’t play DLC’s

in XBoX Accessibility
    Cloud saved game data storage full. Can’t play DLC’s: I have the DLC’s for Left 4 dead purchased and have for a long time and they used to work. My cloud saved data now says that its full and when it prompts me to click when I’m trying to load Left 4...
  6. The youtube app on my xbox series s keep taking me out the app every time i play a video

in XBoX on Windows
    The youtube app on my xbox series s keep taking me out the app every time i play a video: Every time i open the YouTube app on my xbox series s it keeps crashing every time i try to play a video f8ad5e5e-cd5e-49ab-94d6-0aaa2dd1ee8b
  7. Can oh Grand theft Auto v online be played from an external hard drive on Xbox series s?

in XBoX on Windows
    Can oh Grand theft Auto v online be played from an external hard drive on Xbox series s?: Can oh Grand theft Auto v online be played from an external hard drive on Xbox series s? c7531c5d-ab58-4f9d-8106-b7206357bd12
  8. Can I backup Xbox 360 games to the Xbox One console, and play them without the disc, like...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can I backup Xbox 360 games to the Xbox One console, and play them without the disc, like...: I would like to know if it is possible to backup Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One console, to then later port all data and games from the Xbox One console to the Xbox Series S, and be able to play...
  9. Seagate backup plus won't play games

in XBoX on Consoles
    Seagate backup plus won't play games: hello all! Today I bought a seagate backup plus 2tb external hardrive so I can keep all my games downloaded and ready to play. Got it all set up and formatted. I downloaded battlefield 1 and...
  10. Problème de sauvegarde de jeux sur disque dur !!! [Translation: HDD to play backup ...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Problème de sauvegarde de jeux sur disque dur !!! [Translation: HDD to play backup ...: Bonjour, je me permets de vous contacter, car je rencontre depuis quelques temps maintenant des soucis sur mes jeu Forza Horizon et Horizon 2. J'avais mes sauvegardes de jeux sur mon disque...