Is there a known issue with 8TB SSD USB 3 drives for Series X?

Discus and support Is there a known issue with 8TB SSD USB 3 drives for Series X? in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; I bought a legit Samsung 8TB 870 QVO USB drive. After I format it in Windows then attach it to my Series X, it is recognized and option given to... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/SuperAleste, Dec 9, 2023.

1. Is there a known issue with 8TB SSD USB 3 drives for Series X?

I bought a legit Samsung 8TB 870 QVO USB drive. After I format it in Windows then attach it to my Series X, it is recognized and option given to install games there etc, etc. Setup and initial game copy seems to work as normal.

However, after a while, I'll notice anything on the 8TB is flagged as "corrupt" when trying to launch the game or app.

Eventually the console will not show the drive as attached at all. Even after reboots and USB to SATA cable swaps.

So wondering if 8TB is officially not supported or there is something wrong with this drive? It seems to work fine on windows.

submitted by /u/SuperAleste
    [link] [comments]

/u/SuperAleste, Dec 9, 2023
  2. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox one series S & portable SSD's

Hi,

You can use USB external SSD drives on Series X/S or you can buy a 2.5" PC SSD and attach it to a SATA to USB 3.1 adaptor.

These drives are a lot faster than a standard USB 3 external HDD. However, you can only play Xbox One, Xbox 360 and original Xbox BC titles directly from them. Series X/S games can only be played from the internal drive or the optional Expansion Card.
  3. Farscape247 Win User

Xbox Series X: Maximum Quantity and Capacity of External Storage?

1. 2 USB 3.0 Drives.

2. 8TB per drive.

3. upto 16TB of external storage across 2 drives.

I used to use 8TB for xbox games and 4TB for the 360 games.

this has not changed on the series i believe as they are using the same software.
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox series X|S alternative high speed storage expansion

Hi,

No, sorry it won't work. The USB ports on the Series X|S are USB 3.1 which have a maximum speed of 500MB/s. This means, no matter what drive you buy, no matter what speed it's rated at, you're stuck at the max speed of the USB port.

The only drives that can be used for Series X|S games are either the internal or the storage expansion card.

I have the Expansion card for my Series X. I also have an external 2TB USB SSD in an enclosure. I can only use the external SSD for Xbox One games. They do load a lot faster than a mechanical hard drive, but I can't play my Series X games off it.
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Any news on an official SSD expansion card of bigger size than 1tb?

They will eventually, that's pretty certain, but at the moment there would be a cost issue. In the meantime you could go the hybrid route and buy a SATA SSD and connect it to the console either via a SATA to USB adaptor or a 2.5" Drive enclosure.

I have a Series X with the 1TB expansion card and a 2TB SATA SSD. I put all the Series X and optimised games on the internal or expansion card and the rest run off my external SSD. My SSD is a Crucial MX500 and the loading times for Xbox One titles are excellent.

Don't bother with the faster (and more expensive) NVME drives that can be connected via USB you'll not be able to achieve the advertised speed on a console.
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

Can you use external hard drives on xbox series s

Hi,

Series X|S optimised games can only run on either the internal storage or expansion card. You can 'store' Series X|S on a USB hard drive/SSD for later but you can't play them from these drives as they're not fast enough.

Xbox One games that are not optimised for Series X|S can be run from USB Storage.
Thema:

Is there a known issue with 8TB SSD USB 3 drives for Series X?

1. Is there a known issue with 8TB SSD USB 3 drives for Series X? - Similar Threads - known issue 8TB

2. Known Hardware Issue with Series X?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Known Hardware Issue with Series X?: Before I file a BBB complaint, file an official complaint with the Washington State AG office, and seek legal advice regarding class action, I'm going to throw this out for discussion. My Xbox...
  3. Discord on xbox issue any known fixes?

in XboX Insiders
    Discord on xbox issue any known fixes?: While talking to friends on different platforms during saying sentences and talking it seems my voice has to be quite loud to pick up. Is there anyway to increase my mic sensitivity? Along with...
  4. Any known WiFi connection issue with series x?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Any known WiFi connection issue with series x?: For the past week every single day I have gotten home and turned on my Xbox only to see that it cannot connect to my WiFi day after day. I have power cycled my xbox, router, and modem every day, I...
  5. Why does Microsoft charge $299 to repair an Xbox for a known issue?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does Microsoft charge $299 to repair an Xbox for a known issue?: Our Xbox Series X turns off after being on for less than 10 seconds. We went through all of the troubleshooting steps (both online and through tech support) and the only option was for us to send...
  6. Is my console broken? Or is there a known issue with some games?

in XboX Insiders
    Is my console broken? Or is there a known issue with some games?: Hey thanks in advance for any help, so I have a series x which is around 6 months old and up until a few weeks ago all seemed fine. Lately I have been trying some new games out and the console...
  7. How to appeal account was perma banned based on the known Xbox exploit.

in XBoX Accessibility
    How to appeal account was perma banned based on the known Xbox exploit.: My XBox account is permanently banned I believe due to a well known XBox exploit as detailed here: [mod removed] There are multiple other videos that detail and highlight the same exploit. How...
  8. I'm have problems with start up of games on cloud gaming. Is there a known problem and is...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I'm have problems with start up of games on cloud gaming. Is there a known problem and is...: Split from this thread. Was Playing RB6 Siege on iCloud gaming on PC perfectly, then as starfield released I noticed it not starting up I play any other iCloud games is there an issue with...
  9. I'm have problems with start up of games on cloud gaming. Is there a known problem and is...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I'm have problems with start up of games on cloud gaming. Is there a known problem and is...: Help with cloud gaming nit loading. 84aecb15-96fe-4f6f-80c5-5d834b6a7d02
  10. I cant live stream on xbox after correcting all the known issues on why i cant

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I cant live stream on xbox after correcting all the known issues on why i cant: so i was trying to live stream call of duty like i would typically do. i couldnt access the option to so i opened support. thought some settings had been changed and needed to be corrected but...