Is my 500gb HDD "official"? How do I tell?

Discus and support Is my 500gb HDD "official"? How do I tell? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; hi all, I have tried researching my question online & have had no luck So I'm hoping someone here can tell me if there is a way to tell whether the... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by I0NZEU5, Jan 7, 2015.

1. I0NZEU5
    I0NZEU5 Guest

hi all, I have tried researching my question online & have had no luck So I'm hoping someone here can tell me if there is a way to tell whether the 500gb HDD I just got for my Xbox 360 is an "official" Microsoft product or not? I received it as a gift from
    someone who bought it off ebay. It was advertised as an "official Microsoft HDD" but it did not come in a box or with instructions. I don't want to get banned or mess up my game saves or lose the ability to play my old Xbox games so I want to make sure this
    si an official M$ HDD before I install it. If anyone can let me know to tell if its real or a knockoff I'd appreciate it.

Thank you!

:)

I0NZEU5, Jan 7, 2015
  2. Upgrading from 250GB to 300GB on a newer xbox 360.

I currently have a 250GB hdd installed in my xbox 360 and I plan to upgrade to 500GB. How do I go about transferring everything from the old drive to the new drive? I thought of buying a transfer cable, transferring everything to my computer, then to the
    500GB hdd, is there an easier/better way?

Infinitech.MCP, Jan 7, 2015
  3. nick99rus
    nick99rus Guest
    How to move(transfer) ALL my content from the existing XBOX ONE(500Gb) to a new XBOX ONE(1TB)?

Hello,

The HDD of my existing Xbox One(500Gb) is almost full.:-( Type of Xbox Live Account is Gold.

Is there any possibility to upgrage HDD only from 500Gb to 1Tb? If yes then How? Is my 500gb HDD "official"? How do I tell? :)

If no then How to move(transfer) ALL my content from the existing XBOX ONE(500Gb) to a new XBOX ONE(1TB)?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards, Nick

nick99rus, Jan 7, 2015
  4. Smwutches
    Smwutches Guest

Without original packaging, the only way to really tell is by trying to play an original Xbox game. If it works, then it's official. If not, then it's a knock-off. Coming from ebay it has a high chance of being a knock off though.

Smwutches, Jan 7, 2015
  5. I0NZEU5
    I0NZEU5 Guest
    Crud! Do you happen to know if I can disconnect from live, then put it in my 360 & try an old game like KOTOR on it before I transfer my files/profile to it?

I0NZEU5, Jan 7, 2015
  6. Smwutches
    Smwutches Guest
    I've never done it myself so I don't know if it definitely will work, but I believe it should. You can always try.

Smwutches, Jan 7, 2015
  7. I0NZEU5
    I0NZEU5 Guest
    Thanks I just dont want to insert it & then somehow get banned. Ugh! Thanks again!

I0NZEU5, Jan 7, 2015
  8. Auswulf
    Auswulf Guest

Wouldn't hurt to give it a try. You could also look at the case of the hard drive and compare it to an official one. It should have a product Id number on it.

Auswulf, Jan 7, 2015
  9. I0NZEU5
    I0NZEU5 Guest
    Ahh!!! Good idea!!! I'll take the one I have out & compare them carefully too. Thanks!

I0NZEU5, Jan 7, 2015
  10. eber3
    eber3 Guest
    This is for the 360 correct? If it's one of the old 'fat' models there should be a Microsoft label on the bottom of the drive casing... the side with plug that goes into the 360. Should be a silver sticker that says Microsoft as well as Microsoft being stamped
    into the plastic as well. Should look like this pic...
    upload.wikimedia.org/.../1280px-Xbox-360-hard-drives.jpg

Sorry, don't know about the new slim versions.

eber3, Jan 7, 2015
  11. Smwutches
    Smwutches Guest
    eber - There was never a 500gb hard drive for the older fat models. The 500 gb just came out recently for the Slim.

Smwutches, Jan 7, 2015
  12. eber3
    eber3 Guest
    "eber - There was never a 500gb hard drive for the older fat models. The 500 gb just came out recently for the Slim."

Ok, that could be true. All I know is about a year ago when I was looking to buy a bigger hard drive for my fat 360, I saw all kinds of people on ebay selling supposed official xbox hard drives that were actually fakes. I used this pic to see what an actual
    real drive looks like.

eber3, Jan 8, 2015
  13. Is my 500gb HDD "official"? How do I tell?

The biggest official HDD for the original 360 was a 320Gb version on certain limited edition consoles.

The newer type of HDD that fits the S and the E models now has an official 500Gb version that was released a few months back for sale on its own, previously only available with the blue limited edition console.

Paraffin Alien, Oct 31, 2018
  14. Smwutches Win User

eber - There was never a 500gb hard drive for the older fat models. The 500 gb just came out recently for the Slim.
  15. eber3 Win User

"eber - There was never a 500gb hard drive for the older fat models. The 500 gb just came out recently for the Slim."

Ok, that could be true. All I know is about a year ago when I was looking to buy a bigger hard drive for my fat 360, I saw all kinds of people on ebay selling supposed official xbox hard drives that were actually fakes. I used this pic to see what an actual
    real drive looks like.
  16. I0NZEU5 Win User

Ahh!!! Good idea!!! I'll take the one I have out & compare them carefully too. Thanks!
  17. Smwutches Win User

Without original packaging, the only way to really tell is by trying to play an original Xbox game. If it works, then it's official. If not, then it's a knock-off. Coming from ebay it has a high chance of being a knock off though.
  18. Paraffin Alien Win User

The biggest official HDD for the original 360 was a 320Gb version on certain limited edition consoles.

The newer type of HDD that fits the S and the E models now has an official 500Gb version that was released a few months back for sale on its own, previously only available with the blue limited edition console.
Thema:

1. Is my 500gb HDD "official"? How do I tell? - Similar Threads - 500gb HDD official

2. I'm just wondering why my 500GB Xbox can only use 200GB , I understand about reserved space...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I'm just wondering why my 500GB Xbox can only use 200GB , I understand about reserved space...: Is this just how the Xbox is made now, to force people to pay an extra 400$ to play some of their games? 101b60ff-0803-4dc5-bc92-8ad645d6c617
  3. Is there a 500gb seagate expansion card selling in the Microsoft store.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is there a 500gb seagate expansion card selling in the Microsoft store.: Because everytime I check it’s only 1TB there but when I check in other stores they have them but they’re over priced. Also on the website it said they’re going for around $89.99 but again when I...
  4. They say if you have a 500gb system you can use about 465gb of it but mine says 364gb when...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    They say if you have a 500gb system you can use about 465gb of it but mine says 364gb when...: They say if you have a 500gb system you can use about 400 and something of it, but mine says 364gb when I have 500gb system??? bb4c6e65-0363-4115-9870-2544a6892030
  5. Xbox one original 500gb usb ports not working plus the sync button is not allowing the...

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox one original 500gb usb ports not working plus the sync button is not allowing the...: Hi i have a problem with an xbox one. none of the usb ports are working and also the Sync button is not working. Apart from this the xbox runs normal but after completing all soft rests without...
  6. XBox 360E w/OEM 500GB HDD will not play XBox games listed as compatible

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBox 360E w/OEM 500GB HDD will not play XBox games listed as compatible: I bought a used XBox 360E from Gamestop with an Microsoft OEM 500GB XBox S HDD installed. The 360E was manufactured in 2015 and various testing is marked as having been done by Gamestop on a...
  7. My 500GB HDD (not Slim) Reads Only 39GB After Format. What Am I Doing Wrong?

in XBoX on Consoles
    My 500GB HDD (not Slim) Reads Only 39GB After Format. What Am I Doing Wrong?: I'd say the title, pretty much, explains everything that I am having trouble with. As far as I know, the cable is from Microsoft (label/logo and all). So, am I formatting it wrong? Or do I...
  8. 500GB External HDD on Xbox360 E

in XBoX on Consoles
    500GB External HDD on Xbox360 E: Hello Xbox community. My nephew just got a Xbox360 for Christmas. They bought him a 4GB model (I know, not enough space). So they went out and also bought a 2TB USB 3.0 External HDD....
  9. How meny full XB1 games you have installion on 500GB HDD.

in XBoX on Consoles
    How meny full XB1 games you have installion on 500GB HDD.: If that $25 XBOX gift card come in from FEDEX today. I could have 34-35 full games. bdf734ca-e204-4860-a9bc-b1d37c2d75ba
  10. 500gb hdd for 360

in XBoX on Consoles
    500gb hdd for 360: I was wondering how I would go about transfering my data from the 320gb hdd to the 500gb hdd and the xbox 360 I have is the MW3 edition 5dccfcf4-da7d-4adc-aece-0bc397383c36